SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Rear Shelf Rattle - Proper Location of Rubber Stops? ..and a few other issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
Rear Shelf Rattle - Proper Location of Rubber Stops? ..and a few other issues...

Several past posts have addressed a problem with the rear shelf (flat piece behind the roll bars) rattling due to the two black rubber stops falling off. Could someone please post a picture, or a detailed description of where the rubber stops need to be placed? Mine fell off a couple of weeks ago, and several trial and error attempts to put them back in place have not stopped the rear shelf from rattling. Any advice would me most appreciated.

On a slightly different topic, has anyone found a good solution for treating the rubber components of the roof to minimize squeeking/rattling in cold weather? I know some of you have suggested that silicone grease is a good solution, but I have been unable to locate some either online or in auto part stores. I tried white lithium grease, but that was a huge mistake as it actually added to the problem.

Finally, for anyone struggling with winter driving, I highly recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks. I installed a set this winter and have been quite impressed with the results.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230 & CLK500
Go to a BMW dealer & get some Gummipfledge (hope I spelled it right). On the Porsche boards they all talk about this stuff. Got some for the rubber on my 2003 SLK230, workeds great. I used to use the silicone grease from GM but this is much better.