SLK/R170: Key Fob Draining Batteries ** Help? **

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler Crossfire
Key Fob Draining Batteries ** Help? **

Hi there,

First thing, I own a Crossfire 3.2 V6 which is the same running gear as an SLK (We basically just stole your ideas and then threw a different badge on) so i have come here for help as had some really good advice from yourselves before.

Would anyone have my advice for my dilemma?
I have 2 Key Fobs, both worked years ago fine.. (2 button, no panic button)
The unlock button on one of the fobs has been playing up for the past month and then finally gave in and wouldn't unlock, so i went to use my spare fob instead. Batteries dead!
Replaced the batteries, all ok and working, however this only seems to be lasting 4 to 5 days before stops working again. Change batteries, all works, another 5 days, same scenario.
I have to keep buying batteries and carrying them with me just in case they drain when out and about lol
Any idea what could be causing this at all?
This was the same for the original key fob and the new 'blank' case i have transferred the guts to (My old fobs were battered, marked, just bad condition from previous owner)

2nd key.. (unlock button wasn't working)... ordered a new blank key fob casing (to transfer the guts) as when i took the fob apart, the rubber that makes contact for the unlock switch had worn and basically didn't reach the button to action then unlock.
So, guts in new case.... doesn't work (the normal transmitter re-sync doesn't seem to work for the 2 button style fob so i seem to be stuck)
Talk about gutted!!

Do you think the battery drain could be a bad connection, broken solder at all?

Many Thanks in advance

Jason
Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Don't know if I can make sense of this. You might be better off doing a Key FOB search.