SLK/R170: Driveshaft center support bearing hownling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 320
Driveshaft center support bearing hownling noise

Hello there!

I've recently replaced my driveshaft central support bearing and rear flex disk because the old one was completely gone and my driveshaft was banging like crazy when I stepped on the gas.

All went well and I marked the drive shaft so that it went back exactly the way it went out.

Banging and vibrations are completely gone now but another 'problem' has presented itself. When the car is cold and ONLY when the car is cold I can hear a howling/singing noise coming from the bearing area under the handbrake. It sounds like wind blowing through a pipe and it changes pitch according to speed. It is not RPM or gear dependant. The weird thing is that I can only hear it when the car is cold. After driving for like 1-2 min the sound is completely gone until I start the car cold again.

Anyone here experienced something similar? Is this 'normal' for a new bearing or could it be the bearing I bought (Febi kit) is just crap?

I dont want to wreck my driveshaft so I won't drive the car until I find and fix the problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your only hope is putting the car on a lift and duplicate the issue and confirm location of the howling.

FYI: you are under the car locating the noise!!---what is it??
Old 12-09-2023, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 320
Interesting

Originally Posted by slk320_
Hello there!

I've recently replaced my driveshaft central support bearing and rear flex disk because the old one was completely gone and my driveshaft was banging like crazy when I stepped on the gas.

All went well and I marked the drive shaft so that it went back exactly the way it went out.

Banging and vibrations are completely gone now but another 'problem' has presented itself. When the car is cold and ONLY when the car is cold I can hear a howling/singing noise coming from the bearing area under the handbrake. It sounds like wind blowing through a pipe and it changes pitch according to speed. It is not RPM or gear dependant. The weird thing is that I can only hear it when the car is cold. After driving for like 1-2 min the sound is completely gone until I start the car cold again.

Anyone here experienced something similar? Is this 'normal' for a new bearing or could it be the bearing I bought (Febi kit) is just crap?

I dont want to wreck my driveshaft so I won't drive the car until I find and fix the problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Spoiler