SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Old Problem w. OEM Carphones-HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Talking Old Problem w. OEM Carphones-HELP

I need your help and advise if anybody (and I guess a lot of you did) had the same problem.

My SLK230, MY 1998 has the OEM option "Integrated Portable Cell Phone" which is a basically a Motorola Micro T-A-C that is hard coded and used AT&T as service provider.

We are all going w. the time and I use now a R520M Ericsson, service provider T-Mobile w. SIM Card. I ordered for this the HCA-20 Handsfree Kit and wondering if I am able to use the MB OEM In-Dash-Controller w. his functions.

Has anybody experience w. this conversion or what do yo recommend?

Looking forward hearing from you, pls. advise.

PJ
Old 04-02-2004, 11:44 AM

I'm interested in phone information too. Wife wants a SLK320 ... and she'll go for the 6speed manual if she can get a handfree phone. But we need to be able to transfer the phone over to her Lexus SUV as well. So, one phone, two handsfree installs. Anyone know a good way to approach this. I'm pushing for the 6 speed so I'd like to figure out a way to do this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
For the '99 and newer models, you must have a Mercedes-Benz branded phone in order to use the keypad on the radio. The Mercedes phones have proprietary firmware. If you buy an off-the-shelf Motorola phone, the radio will send it the command to turn off when it sees the phone is not the Mercedes phone.

It is possible to get hands-free features by doing some wiring into the audio systems (i.e. using the radio speakers and the integrated microphone above the rear-view mirror). A good stereo shop will know how to do it and I believe a few people here and at benzworld have done it themselves.

For the '98 model, I have no idea. The head unit and phone controller were different than all other model years. I know that it uses the older analog technology, so unless you already use an analog service and want/need to keep it, it's not even worth your time.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Mik

Don't know about the 1998, but since six speed means at least a 2001 or newer, check my web site below.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:13 AM

Hey Mik, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks!