SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SLK
SLK Roof

Has anyone had any problems with there SLk roof not going dow or getting stuck open and not going up. It only happens sometimes but the trunk opens but then the roof will not go donw or the trunk opens and the roof does a little jiggle but will not go up.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, a common problem with older SLKs. The microswitches for the hardtop are sticking and the signal that the hardtop is open isn't being sent. I hope you are still under warranty.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 AM

MB SLK
Does anyone know the location of the microswitches that control the hardtop on a SLK
Old 07-22-2004, 02:52 PM

SLK230
there is around 11 of them all over the mechanism. Search this forum and you should come up with more info then you need on this issue. I also remember seeing a diagram of where the microswitches were, but that may have been a google search.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:58 PM

2002 SLK 32
An added twist

I recently bought a 1999 SLK with 30000 miles and I have the same problem with mine. I have been playing with it the find the root cause. I have discovered a strange sequence that gets everything going. There are times when I will try to put the roof up and the trunk will open, the hydraulics continue to run, but the apron does not flip up and nothing moves.

Early on, in frustration, I left the car in the driveway for a while. When I went back to it everything worked. The next time it occurred, I tried turning it off and waiting in the car, to no avail. Then I turned it off and opened the door. When I closed the door and tried it everything worked.

It sounds odd, but is there a "reset" sequence that occurs when the door opens. I have tried numerous variations of this and each time when I open the door and close it, I can make the roof shut, even within a minute of the original problem.

Any thoughts?