SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: 380SL New Purchase - Question about Idle Speed Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 300CE, 1983 380SL
380SL New Purchase - Question about Idle Speed Control

Sorry for long post, but not sure where to go with this...

Last week I purchased a 1983 380SL with 111,000 miles on it.
Took it for a 150 mile cruise today though mountain roads and ran nicely, if not a little underpowered. I know the 380 isn't exactly a workhorse, by my 300CE 6 cyl has more power.

Anyway, reading through paperwork that was given to me by selller, they took the car into an independent mechanic in May complaining of "sputtering" on takeoff.
Mechanic checked for good power and ground going to the idle speed motor and found good ground, but no power.

An additional test was done and found no power coming from the idle speed control unit. Paperwork says "tech needs to perform testing of ISC control module and module inputs to determine source of failure.
This sounds like it could get expensive, quickly.
Is there a way to chase this power issue at home, or is this something that needs to be done by a mechanic with the correct tools?
Old 08-21-2022, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 SLK 2017 Chevy Bolt, 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
How about tracing the power wire back as far as you can to its source, you may find a break or pinched wire or a corroded plug along the way to the source.

You are going to have to find out where the source starts, follow the wire, make sure you scrutinize any connectors for corrosion broken wires etc.

You may find a broken wire, or a wire that was stretched and pulled from its plug, no longer making a connection on your own.

I think with a few hand tools, and a cheap meter to check continuity and the time to search, may be all you need to make the repair.