SLK/R170: Alarm/Central locking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 01:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ml350amg slk 320
Alarm/Central locking

2001 320
Opened boot today and alarm sounded although not set.
Now neither of my two key fobs will open or close the doors.
Red light flashes on both fobs but no indicator lights flash on the car .
Any thoughts please?
Also where is the alarm siren located?
Thanks
Old 11-29-2022, 08:13 AM

ml350amg slk 320
Update,
Just tried to start car and battery is totally dead!
Jump started it and discovered that that the heater blower/fan is running continually and won't turn off even with the ignition off and key removed. I've removed fuse 36 to stop it.
Any clues please?
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by paulwith
Update,
Just tried to start car and battery is totally dead!
Jump started it and discovered that that the heater blower/fan is running continually and won't turn off even with the ignition off and key removed. I've removed fuse 36 to stop it.
Any clues please?
Thanks.
I have not heard of this failure, but it would seem that the problem can only be one of two things ...
either the output of your climate control unit (pin 7) is stuck on (indicating a failure in that unit) OR there is a failure in the blower regulator.

It would seem that you could isolate this by disconnecting the connector(s) on the on the climate control unit and if the blower still runs (with fuse 36 in place) then the regulator is bad .... if it does not, then it would indicate that the climate control unit is bad
OR, you may (might) be able to confirm this by merely removing fuse 35 (circuit 30 power to climate control) . given that the regulator is easy (and relatively inexpensive to replace) I would probably do the easier test (remove fuse 35) and if the blower continues to run (with 36 installed) then I would replace the regulator ... (and that SHOULD, hopefully be all that is needed).

HTH,
Chris

Old 12-01-2022, 12:09 PM

ml350amg slk 320
Thanks Chris, obtained a new regulator so will fit and report back.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 SLK320
To answer one of your original questions...the alarm siren is under the windshield wiper cover panel. It has its own internal battery that is supposed to provide siren screaming if a main battery cable is removed or cut. Mine has never worked even with a new internal battery. A second one from auction site does not work either. My understanding is that the PSE box in the back makes all decisions for the siren related to locking or violation status.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:48 PM

ml350amg slk 320
Originally Posted by latemodel21
I have not heard of this failure, but it would seem that the problem can only be one of two things ...
either the output of your climate control unit (pin 7) is stuck on (indicating a failure in that unit) OR there is a failure in the blower regulator.

It would seem that you could isolate this by disconnecting the connector(s) on the on the climate control unit and if the blower still runs (with fuse 36 in place) then the regulator is bad .... if it does not, then it would indicate that the climate control unit is bad
OR, you may (might) be able to confirm this by merely removing fuse 35 (circuit 30 power to climate control) . given that the regulator is easy (and relatively inexpensive to replace) I would probably do the easier test (remove fuse 35) and if the blower continues to run (with 36 installed) then I would replace the regulator ... (and that SHOULD, hopefully be all that is needed).

HTH,
Chris
Update-
Regulator, motor and pollen filter all full of water. All replaced and drains cleared. Motor now sounds like a small jet engine! Should have noticed the lack of air flow before.
All done for £285 Fair I think? Thanks for help.
The following users liked this post:
latemodel21 (12-06-2022)