SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Oxygen sensor question II and more!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen sensor question II and more!!!

Hi, Guys:

I am new SLK230 (2001 model). I bought my car from a dealer with a slightly under market price. The car had 63k miles on it and within a week, there were problems, BAS/ESP lights on and off a few times, and brake light was flashing and then was on all the time, light bulb light was on, and at 64k miles, check engine light was on... Man, did I get a lemon?

Took it to a mechanic specialized in MB and was told mainly it was a problem on 60k maintenance. Drop $1.2k for tune up and brake change. All the problems went away, not too long though.

3 weeks after the tune-up, the check engine light was on again on the weekend. Took it back to the guy and was told it was just Oxygen Senor problems. Both gone bad, but he said I don’t have to change them since they are pricy and not too much a use.

Questions for you guys:

1. What happened to is car? Does it sound like a lemon?
2. Is O2 sensor really important? If so, I will change them. Where to get cheaper genuine parts or do after market O2 sensors hold good quality. The guy told me I should get genuine parts (over $200 each quoted from MB)

Oh, one more thing. The radio reception is bad with this car. You can even feel the radio wave drifts away and comes back and forth with most stations even in city center. What if I change to a Pioneer or Alpine, would that disable my remote key entry and car alarm?

Many thanks to you all…

Last edited by slkfunok; 10-26-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:14 PM

2006 s2000
You were at 63k. Sounds like you were up for a major tune up anyway. O2 sensors usally give out about 65k anyway. If you are interseted I get all my oem parts from the parts bin. www.thepartsbin.com They are cheaper from the dealer and this can save up alot of money. Shipping is also very fast you should get you part from them.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:12 PM

sounds good...

many thanks, yellowslk. I have some additional questions. Do they offer genuine parts? I checked the site and they offer Bosch. Not sure if the quality is good. I think I need two of them, pre and after engine ones. Can you pls tell me what you have done?

Many many thanks again.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:44 PM

SLK 230
If you have a problem with the check engine light it could be that the gas cap wasn't on tight, or of course the 02 sensor. I've had the check engine light come on once and my friend who has the same car said the best way to double check and see if there is a problem or if it's just the gas cap etc... is to reset the cars computer. The way to do that is take a cable off the car battery and let it sit for about 45mins (ps make sure you have your radio code) then after you reattach the car battery cable the computer will be reset and when you go to run your car around the block or so if the check engine light comes back on then you know it's an 02 sensor problem and not because you didn't put the gas cap back on tight enough.... but just to let you know everyone has the check engine light come on, the type of car is known for that coming on all the time....
Old 10-29-2004, 03:41 PM

Great help. I went back to the guy and he reset the light. I have run the car for a week and no lights on yet. Maybe it's gas cap thing. But if it comes on within a month again, I will have the O2 sensors changed for sure.

Thanks to you all.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the forward O2 is importent in that is will measure if the vehical is running rich or lean. if it is bad the computer will run in limp mode and run rich to not damage the motor. you will notice a big decrease in fuel economy. the after cat O2 just measures if the cat is working or not by checking to make sure the CO is differnt from the befor cat. This O2 sensor doesnt effect the car at all but just trips the light. Bosch is a big suplier of O2 sensors and shouldnt be a problem using them. If the guy at the shop had the right tool he could have just scaned the computer and saw what triped the code. easiest way to tell if an O2 sensor is going bad.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:34 PM

2006 s2000
Hi I just found out that are cars are obd II this mean that the O2 sensors on are cars should really last about 100K,