SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: New User - Research Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New User - Research Q's

Hey all,

New to the group. I'm doing research on a 2002 SLK 320, and had a couple of questions.

First, how is the 6 speed manual in these cars, I've read reviews that are all over the board.

Second, is the CD changer worth the extra cost? or should I just expect to change out the in dash head unit? I read something about fiber optics in the audio system...just wondered how easy the head unit would be to change.

Lastly, how does this car handle in the snow? I live in the Chicago area, and we sometimes get a bit of snow.

Thanks in advance.

Shaummy
Old 05-29-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55, C63, 997 Turbo
Thumbs up

Welcome aboard! Have you driven the SLK320 6-speed? It's an amazing machine. By that I mean, the car has all the right ingredients to be a fun, daily driver you can toss around, even through the twisties. I drive an E36 M3 myself and I had a chance to experience an SLK320 6spd through the canyons a few weeks ago. The owner drove my M3 and I followed in his SLK. Boy can this car keep up through the corners...I was really impressed. The gearbox is just right for the 320, though I don't think it can handle much more power. With the sport package, the staggered wheels offer good traction and good looks, especially with the latest Sport Package a la SLK32!

As far as CD changers go, if you lease the car, then do it. It makes sense and is covered by warranty. I love long drives with lots of good music, so I don't like to have to change single CDs every so often. Yes, everything is through a single fiber optic cable. You can probably add an FM modulator CD player (yuck!), though I heard someone does make a special connector now to use the fiber optic bus to connect a certain aftermarket CD changer for half the price. Again, if you're leasing, it makes more sense to get it from the dealer. Have them throw it in! That's what I did.

As far as snow goes, I'm from SoCal so I have no idea what you're talking about Actually, most Mercedes cars now have similar technology with ESP/ASR and selectable Sport and Wet tranny modes (Wet starts you in 2nd gear instead of first). I can't see how this car would not do well in the snow. Most of my friends back east have a set of winter tires/wheels for their car during the bad season. Probably a really good idea as winter tires make a huge difference. Plus you have a hard top so you get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
1. I'm in the group of people that thinks the 6-speed sucks. Both the clutch and the shifter. I know some owners like it, but I've never read a good review of the transmission by an automotive journalist (come to think of it, I've never read a good review of the SLK by an automotive journalist)

2. I guess you already know that dealers charge $800+ for the changer. Some are over $1K installed. You can buy the CD genuine MB changer and bracket for about $500 shipped to your door from www.Autoclass.net and install it yourself with instructions at www.leonoff.net.

3. It does OK in the snow if you get 4 real snow tires. The best thing is to get four 205/55R16 snow tires on four 7.0Jx16ET37 rims. Don't even think about driving with the stock summer tires in the snow and don't wait 'til it snows before you swap for the winter.