SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SRS Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS Warning Lights

I was driving along at my usual dawdle when the SRS safety warning light came on in my SLK 350, along with a severe message to drive to a service centre. Nothing else appeared changed.

Initially I thought it may mean the airbag could go off, but the mechanic I phoned said that's not the case. Does anyone know if this warning light malfunction a common occurrence?

Or how long it will take to fix?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
haven't seen it myself or seen anyone else mention it here. My Check Engine light did come on with about 400 miles on the car, but the dealership reset it. No problems since, and I have about 7500 miles on it now.

you really want to have that looked at, but airbags DO NOT just go off. The real danger is that they have been deactivated. Whenever there is an airbag malfunction the light comes on and the bags are completely deactivated, which means if you ARE in an accident they won't blow.

Get it checked out so the lack of airbag support doesn't kill you.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
Could be Many Things

I just went thru this on my '97 E320. Was driving to work one morning this week and the SRS light popped on solid and came on after each re-start.
I have lots of documentation on the car and did some research. SRS is a system that integrates air bags and setbelt tensioners. There is a controller, the individual air bags, squibs (fuses) that blow the air bags and some sensors to tell the system when to act. I just had my problem fixed this morning and it was a gizmo in the steering wheel that is supposed to provide constant electrical contact with the airbag assembly. Unless the controller sees all the components in working order, it lights the light to tell you that you are not protected. (I think a flashing light or one that goes out after a couple of minutes means that a non-critical component has failed.) Anyway, $125 for the part and $275 for 2 3/4 hours of labor to diagnose, replace part and re-program controller. The dealer has the upper hand because it requires a sophisticated piece of test equipment to diagnose problems with this system and to re-program the controller. Not good to fool around with the system anyway unless you really know what you are doing because you can easily pop an airbag or two. Any problem should be covered by an in-effect warranty and the light going on means you have lost a safety mechanism not that a bag is about to blow.