SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Knocking sound going over bumps. Information.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
Knocking sound going over bumps. Information.

I had a similar problem to one that I read someone else was having yesterday. I noticed a strange knocking sound coming from the left side door jam (I'm in the US, making that the driver door). I thought at first it was something rattling around inside the rear panel where the mechanics for the top reside. It was loud, and I had never heard it before yesterday, and the car has over 8000 miles on it.

Anyway, if you're still having the problem, one of the star screws that holds the top trim panel on (there are two screws holding this piece in) had worked itself loose. This is the trim panel which is visible when the door is open. I couldn't believe that one loose screw made so much noise. Anywho, I tightened it back down and the noise went away.

Dunno if whoever is still having the problem that the dealership couldn't figure out, but if so, take a look at that. Also, it could be one of those things that happens to all of us eventually, so I thought I'd make everyone aware.

If you don't know which trim panel I'm talking about, I'll try to post pictures on request. Just not sure when I'll have the time to do it.

Last edited by wil_sutton; 03-22-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Felt title needed to be more descriptive
Old 04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
Need more detail

Hi,
Thank you for your post, but I am a little confused with exactly where you are talking about. Can you elaborate a little or take some photo. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, please take a pic of the panel (or the screw) when available. I am one of the few who has the knocking sound.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK230K & SLK350
Some R171 owners are saying thats its the door itself which can cause the problem, a test is to put a bit of rag in between the door catches, if the noise stops bingo, get the door realigned. It is becoming a common fault with the car.

gary
Old 04-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Mine has been in the shop for the banging/rattle almost 2 weeks. The head mechanic heard it when he rode with me. He said thought it was coming from the trunk. I heard he rode in the trunk while someone was driving. They ordered new panels for the trunk from Germany & they are due in tomorrow. They are going to put them in & test drive again. I don't know which panels they are but am wondering why they could not insulate them or something if that is it. When I get an answer I will post it.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:23 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
I am having the same problem too and I think it is the door as well. I still hear the noise when the roof is down. But I will check all visible screws and I will try that rag thing. Even though I am not sure what you guys mean!?! Well, I f I brake something I know where to find you!

Originally Posted by gary350
Some R171 owners are saying thats its the door itself which can cause the problem, a test is to put a bit of rag in between the door catches, if the noise stops bingo, get the door realigned. It is becoming a common fault with the car.

gary
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 PM

2005 SLK350
Ok... I'll take pictures tomorrow, I promise. But in the mean time, the panel I'm talking about is visible with the door open, top down, all the way to the back at the very top. There are two star screws in it. In other words, if you're sitting in it with the top down and door open, put your left elbow as far back as you can until you touch the door frame (left in US, right in right-drive cars). You should be touching the panel I'm talking about.

It's dark now here, so I can't take a good picture. I'll post it tomorrow. I couldn't believe that one loose screw made all that noise, but it does. I finger tightened it for the time being until I can get it to the dealership, which is 80 miles away, and it worked loose again a couple of times.

Pix coming...
Old 04-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK230K & SLK350
Originally Posted by Teufel
I am having the same problem too and I think it is the door as well. I still hear the noise when the roof is down. But I will check all visible screws and I will try that rag thing. Even though I am not sure what you guys mean!?! Well, I f I brake something I know where to find you!
All you are trying to do is remove any slackness between the door catch and door, I don,t want you to stick your coat in there. Best of luck.

gary
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wil_sutton
Ok... I'll take pictures tomorrow, I promise. But in the mean time, the panel I'm talking about is visible with the door open, top down, all the way to the back at the very top. There are two star screws in it. In other words, if you're sitting in it with the top down and door open, put your left elbow as far back as you can until you touch the door frame (left in US, right in right-drive cars). You should be touching the panel I'm talking about.

It's dark now here, so I can't take a good picture. I'll post it tomorrow. I couldn't believe that one loose screw made all that noise, but it does. I finger tightened it for the time being until I can get it to the dealership, which is 80 miles away, and it worked loose again a couple of times.

Pix coming...
Wil: PICTURES???????
Old 04-29-2005, 01:18 PM

2005 SLK350
Sorry about the delay. It's been raining here for the last couple of days, so I haven't had it out of the garage and honestly haven't thought about it.

The first image shows you where to look, and the second circles the two screws that were causing my problem. I know it's pretty self explanatory. Further, I think if it was something that simple the dealership probably would have figured it out...
Attached Thumbnails Knocking sound going over bumps.  Information.-slk-loose-panel.jpg  
Old 04-29-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wil_sutton
Sorry about the delay. It's been raining here for the last couple of days, so I haven't had it out of the garage and honestly haven't thought about it.

The first image shows you where to look, and the second circles the two screws that were causing my problem. I know it's pretty self explanatory. Further, I think if it was something that simple the dealership probably would have figured it out...

Ahhhhhhh! I'll check on it. THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:41 PM

2005 SLK350
no problem... hope it helps... Again, mine were sticking out but if they are completely gone I never would have noticed it. You would still think the dealership would catch it if it were that simple...
Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
Thank you very much , I will go home and try it tonight and see if that fix the rattle.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Mine has been at the dealer 2 weeks already, they say Monday. Will know what they replaced if the rattle is fixed. I tried the panel screws before I brought it in they were all tight so on mine that was not the cause of the rattle.