SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Cellular Antenna Placement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Cellular Antenna Placement

If the vehicle is equipped with the optional hands-free communication system, where is the phone antenna? Is it hidden, or already present, such as integrated into the mast in the left rear fender?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by wingless
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional hands-free communication system, where is the phone antenna? Is it hidden, or already present, such as integrated into the mast in the left rear fender?
Assuming we're talking about US-spec cars:

Whether the car is equipped with the optional hands-free communication system or not, the antenna is hidden, and already present (not "or"). Like nearly every US-spec Mercedes car in recent times, the antennas are behind the rear bumper panel. (I believe the G-class is the only car which deviates from this pattern, having the main phone antenna on the roof and the main TeleAid antenna in the rear bumper; nearly every other car only uses the bumper antennas as the backup antenna for TeleAid.)

Because the way antennas plug into the antenna switch, it is very easy to reconfigure the antennas to reverse their roles... the primary phone antenna can be on the roof and the primary TA antenna in the bumpers, with TA still having access to the roof antenna as a backup. This may be preferable depending on which system you use more, or if you even subscribe to TA.

-s-
Old 05-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Perfect answer, thank you very much. My concern was another "hockey puck" style "solution" like has been used for the satellite antenna.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Perfect answer, thank you very much. My concern was another "hockey puck" style "solution" like has been used for the satellite antenna.
I should have added... for the SLK, the "roof" antenna is the mast in the fender.

Have you seen the new SIRIUS antennas? They are quite small, very similar to the TeleAid antenna on the R170.

-s-
Old 05-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes, they are better. I would still like to have it fully hidden. Maybe if they hid one in each bumper, like the phone antenna, with the unit detecting and using the stonger signal, then they could reach that target.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, they are better. I would still like to have it fully hidden. Maybe if they hid one in each bumper, like the phone antenna, with the unit detecting and using the stonger signal, then they could reach that target.
Since the cellular antennas are mounted vertically in the sides of the bumper, I doubt there would be enough room to get a good placement/view of the overhead satellites. SIRIUS satellites tend to be at an inclination higher than 40 degrees... due to not being geostationary.

If you plan to install the phone yourself, make sure you have a reverse Torx (E10) socket ready.

-s-
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Question Surely you're not Sirius

Originally Posted by scorchie
Have you seen the new SIRIUS antennas? They are quite small, very similar to the TeleAid antenna on the R170.

-s-
Is the Sirius best added on aftermarket or OEM?