SLK/R171: Did somebody consider CROSSFIRE SRT6 roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Did somebody consider CROSSFIRE SRT6 roadster

.. before picking SLK? I'm a bit lazy to test myself, just tell me what bad is in it.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Uses the old SLK's components quite extensively. Not a bad ride, but also has a bit less HP then the old SLK 32 AMG had (if I remember correctly).

It's cheap, and for that kinda money you'll do 5.1's all the time due to the automatic.

However, the biggest negative aspect of the Crossfire is the roof. Either it's fixed, or you'll have a softtop. This is a long cry from the SLK's vario roof.

The interior is ok, but feels a bit cheap. Huge rims at the back probably won't do good for drag times, and it still uses rack and pinion steering...

Looks are debatable, I like it, but doesn't blow me away in any sense. The side vents are totally fake.

And so on...

A powerful car for quite cheap, but gimme a 350 or 55 any day of the week.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM

After dealing with American car dealers for many years, I never want to do it again. Honda, Acura, Toyota and M/B have all treated my wife and I so much better. And their service departments seem to be far better trained.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Shinigami, thank you, it was helpful. So, I'll consider crossfire as some back up in case of money shortage.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
I picked up a SRT-6 coupe a couple weeks back...for the money (since you can get some pretty good deals on them) they are well worth it...
would not have went with conv. though...makes it look too odd with the angles on the car..

As for the comment about American dealers...each one is different..no matter if they sell Yugos or Vipers..it all depends on the dealership staff to make the difference and to make the customer happy.....as for the car...I have yet to find a part (besides the emblems) that does not say "AMG" with a Mercedes part number following it...so if German quality for a fair price is what your looking for..I give my 2 c's for this car..

Last edited by respdoc; 06-17-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Do you know anyway to install bluetooth phone adapter and DAP (like iPod) to SRT? There is no such factory option.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:23 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
I have yet to find a part (besides the emblems) that does not say "AMG"
Kinda makes you wonder about the "limited production, hand-built" thing wrt nominal AMGs if these semi-mass market cars are effectively SLK32s. I don't mean to detract from the car at all - seems like quite a value - I'm just wondering about how MB can get away with AMG's positioning in light of the SRT6.

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2005, 01:19 AM

2019 CLS
Originally Posted by lennyr
Kinda makes you wonder about the "limited production, hand-built" thing wrt nominal AMGs if these semi-mass market cars are effectively SLK32s. I don't mean to detract from the car at all - seems like quite a value - I'm just wondering about how MB can get away with AMG's positioning in light of the SRT6.

I have to agree...I installed some spacers today so this was the first time I had a chance to take a look at the suspension setup...pretty much the same deal...all MB/AMG part numbers and logos even down to the same things like brackets, lines, etc...

I actually bought this car since the closest MB dealership to where I now live is about 400 miles away so getting normal service on the car had to be a 2 day trip...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:20 AM

2019 CLS
Originally Posted by Dema
Do you know anyway to install bluetooth phone adapter and DAP (like iPod) to SRT? There is no such factory option.
No..sorry..just starting to research what mods/add-ons are for my SRT..
Old 06-19-2005, 09:00 AM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Uses the old SLK's components quite extensively...and it still uses rack and pinion steering....
I believe the Crossfire uses "old style" reciprocating ball and the 171 uses the more modern rack and pinion.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Julien321
I believe the Crossfire uses "old style" reciprocating ball and the 171 uses the more modern rack and pinion.
Could be I mixed up the two...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Getting back on topic

Originally Posted by Dema
.. before picking SLK? I'm a bit lazy to test myself, just tell me what bad is in it.
Personally, I would never consider the Xfire. It is old MB technology, but more importantly IT DOES NOT HAVE THE ROOF.

For me there are much better choices of roadster in either soft top or coupe. From Z4 to Boxter or even RX7 or 350Z for the prices. Great deals can be had on used 'vettes now that the new generation is out, also.

I suspect really great deals are going to be had on used Xfires in a year or two. G :v
Old 06-22-2005, 06:08 PM

There should also be some great buys on used SLK 55's when the 4 valve per cylinder engine debuts in a year or two.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 AM

2019 CLS
Originally Posted by mhsherman
Personally, I would never consider the Xfire. It is old MB technology, but more importantly IT DOES NOT HAVE THE ROOF.

For me there are much better choices of roadster in either soft top or coupe. From Z4 to Boxter or even RX7 or 350Z for the prices. Great deals can be had on used 'vettes now that the new generation is out, also.

I suspect really great deals are going to be had on used Xfires in a year or two. G :v

Doesn't have the roof ?

I assume you mean the hard-top conv. on the Slk...No, but neither does the Z4 conv., 350Z conv, or C5 conv...

As for better choices researching data from real owners would say the opposite on your RX8 (they dont make the RX7 any more) and 350Z....I would rather have older, tried and true tech. then unproven new...

As I posted before the distance to the nearest MB dealer was a big factor in my decision but also for the price (high $50k's for the SLK55 I was looking at compared to $37k out the door I got my SRT-6 for)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

No