SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: UK Top Gear 26th June SLK Vs Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
987S
UK Top Gear 26th June SLK Vs Boxster S

Just a heads up for UK viewers of Top Gear...... tomorrows programme features the SLK (doesn't say which model but probably the 350) and new Boxster S....... its not clear whether they will test them on track or not as both have featured before (the Boxster S was quite a bit quicker than the 350) but hopefully worth watching
Old 06-26-2005, 12:58 PM

SLK 230
Top Gear...

Hi,

I think what they are going to do is try and see if a sniper can get a lock on them or not.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
Watched the show earlier this evening and the SLK55 kicked *** all over the Porsche Boxster. He did comment that he thought the gearbox was a little slow to respond when changing from forward to reverse gears. Oh and he thought that the car was a little cheaply made - commenting that he thought that the sun visor came from Matalan (cheap discount store in the UK).

However... I loved the performance of the SLK and in a way, wish I'd bought one over my CLK Coupe- but considering I wanted more room and to stop being anti-social when friends visit... CLK it had to be.... just made me think - hmmm bugger!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:45 AM

987S
Originally Posted by matsna
Watched the show earlier this evening and the SLK55 kicked *** all over the Porsche Boxster. He did comment that he thought the gearbox was a little slow to respond when changing from forward to reverse gears. Oh and he thought that the car was a little cheaply made - commenting that he thought that the sun visor came from Matalan (cheap discount store in the UK).

However... I loved the performance of the SLK and in a way, wish I'd bought one over my CLK Coupe- but considering I wanted more room and to stop being anti-social when friends visit... CLK it had to be.... just made me think - hmmm bugger!!!
Kicked *** in a very subjective way maybe...... but it was just a bit of fun and not a serious test. The SLK got the vote as being the most exciting to drive and making the best noise while they said the Boxster was better handling and more agile, better made and £11k cheaper...... Clarkson was "shot" 6 times in the Box and 13 times in the SLK....... that was their test.

Its a shame they didn't let the Stig test the 55 on track as I really wanted to see if it could beat the Boxster S (1:28.xx lap)
Old 06-27-2005, 11:38 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Its a shame they didn't let the Stig test the 55 on track as I really wanted to see if it could beat the Boxster S (1:28.xx lap)
It accelerates a hell of a lot faster (a magazine has already recorded 4.3 seconds 0-60) so even if it were slower in the corners, it could still win.

They should have rerun the Boxster test since the suggestion was that whichever went first would have a big advantage.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:12 PM

987S
Originally Posted by steve-p
It accelerates a hell of a lot faster (a magazine has already recorded 4.3 seconds 0-60) so even if it were slower in the corners, it could still win.

They should have rerun the Boxster test since the suggestion was that whichever went first would have a big advantage.
Yes the AMG is quite a bit quicker in a straight line and over a lap it would be very close I'm sure...... the only point of reference I have at the moment for the two is TrackChallenge.com Hockenheim lap times where the Box is around 1 or 2 seconds quicker.

I'm not sure if you noticed but TG quoted the AMG 0-60 time and the Boxsters 0-62 time making the difference a bit larger than reality........ a like for like comparison is 4.5 Vs 5.2 for the 0-60 and 4.9 Vs 5.5 for the 0-62 either way the AMG will romp away from the Box S in a drag race.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM

SLK 230
Watching it...

I have to say I watched it and thought both cars looked very nice and looked beautiful to drive. I have always said that my view on the new SLKs is that the interior doesn't seem as uptoscratch - see my previous threads on this - and hence my view that is it still over priced. But it is good to see a true contender to the boxster crown for once.