SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: How to remove the plastic cover of the back rest???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove the plastic cover of the back rest???

The passenger seat of my SLK280 started to make some high-pitch “clicking” noises when driving over rough roads.
The noise clearly originates from the back rest, not from the seat adjustment mechanism. It sounds as if plastic hits either plastic or the magnesium frame of the seat, thus producing a relatively fast "tick-tick-tick- tick" (I’m not proud of this description but it really sounds like it). When I slightly touch the left side of the back rest with my hand, the seat vibrations are attenuated and the clicking stops.

This sound is not the well-known “clacking” of the seat belt buckle against the outside of the seat and it doesn’t come from the door locks either.
I can produce the sound in the parked car with open doors by pressing the palm of my hand against the side of the back rest and vibrating it slightly.

It is for sure nerve-wrecking and has to be fixed.

Previous experience with my CLK has proven that my local dealership is much better suited for the introduction of new noises than the removal of old ones... ergo the do-it-yourself approach.

Since I am aware of the air bag behind the seat cushion and the easy fracturing of the red plastic shear bolts that hold the cushion, I don’t want to do anything from the front of the seat.
I carefully tried to take off the large black rear PVC panel of the seat to find the cause of the clicking noise.

After removing the two lower Torx screws and detaching the plastic snap-hooks from the frame, I noticed that there is some other kind of attachment in the upper area of the plastic panel near the head rest that I just can’t figure out.
This is my problem.

Who knows how the upper portion of this panel can be detached??

Greetings,
Rainer