SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Replace Gear Knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SLK200 Komp. R171 + 01 TT 1.8T Quattro Roadster
Question Replace Gear Knob

Anyone here had tried to replace the stock auto gear knob themselves? Unlike the R170 which was super easy, can't figure out how to take it out...
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM

SLK 350
Originally Posted by Cabrio
Anyone here had tried to replace the stock auto gear knob themselves? Unlike the R170 which was super easy, can't figure out how to take it out...
HI - I found these instructions on the net (can't remember where) so am not claiming them as my own, either if they work or don't! Hopefully they will give some idea.

If they work I would like to know though - I haven't tried it as I haven't seen a decent replacement yet.

The knob is removed by:
1) Carefully pulling up(unsnapping) the piece that surrounds the shifter labels, C/S button, and leather around the shifter rod Then unplugging the two connectors to the button and labels.
2) Once you have done this you can pull the whole assembly up and over the current shifter knob which exposes the nut at the bottom of the knob which you turn a quarter of a turn counter clockwise and then drop the nut down away from the knob.
3) pull straight up on the knob and it should come off of the rod with the surround piece still attached to the knob.
4) then carefully separate the black plastic piece at the bottom of the knob, that the locking nut attached to, from the knob releasing the leather boot from the knob.
5) now you perform these steps in reverse with the new knob to install it.

The only tool I used was a flat blade screwdriver in step 4 to pry the black plastic piece from the knob releasing the leather boot.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:46 AM

04 SLK200 Komp. R171 + 01 TT 1.8T Quattro Roadster
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
HI - I found these instructions on the net (can't remember where) so am not claiming them as my own, either if they work or don't! Hopefully they will give some idea.

If they work I would like to know though - I haven't tried it as I haven't seen a decent replacement yet.

The knob is removed by:
1) Carefully pulling up(unsnapping) the piece that surrounds the shifter labels, C/S button, and leather around the shifter rod Then unplugging the two connectors to the button and labels.
2) Once you have done this you can pull the whole assembly up and over the current shifter knob which exposes the nut at the bottom of the knob which you turn a quarter of a turn counter clockwise and then drop the nut down away from the knob.
3) pull straight up on the knob and it should come off of the rod with the surround piece still attached to the knob.
4) then carefully separate the black plastic piece at the bottom of the knob, that the locking nut attached to, from the knob releasing the leather boot from the knob.
5) now you perform these steps in reverse with the new knob to install it.

The only tool I used was a flat blade screwdriver in step 4 to pry the black plastic piece from the knob releasing the leather boot.
Thanks Sorcerer, I'll try to follow the steps and give it a shot. You know, all parts are still kind of sticking together pretty solid and dont want to force them separately. Gonna put in the Brabus knob. Will see how it goes...