SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: This is one cheap and horrible car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bad luck with the SLK

I have had nothing but bad luck with this car. I have already cracked the windshield with a rock, 2 dents in the parking lot, and just now the whole bottom of the front bumper got ripped out by a tire tread on the freeway. The car is only 2 months old. Although all of the above could be bad luck, the rest of the car has no good qualities. Everything in the car rattles and the dealer has done nothing about it. It is normal noise, they said. The interior is very cheap and the dash and side panels on the doors scuff easily. This is my first and last Mercedes. I don't know what my wife was thinking buying this car after owning a Boxster with NO problems for 5 years. It is just a cute little car and that's all. But then the Miata is also a cute little car too!! The only good quality is the hard top. I wish I could return it and get her another Boxster. And by the way guys this is really a girly car. My wife actually drives it and not me. Now I have to give up my Audi S4 to the wife while I have to take this thing to a bodyshop to get it fixed. Now not driving my S4 makes me really mad.

Last edited by doccyber; 07-18-2005 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Just because
Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Blah, Blah, Blah

"And by the way guys this is really a girly car. My wife actually drives it and not me."

Thanks for the heads up! I better trade keys with my wife for her SUV before some guy hits on me. Don't want anyone thinking I swing both ways.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by doccyber
...Now I have to give up my Audi S4 to the wife while I have to take this thing to a bodyshop to get it fixed. Now not driving my S4 makes me really mad.
Let's hope your wife will have better luck with the S4
Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mick1
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by dsb
Blah, Blah, Blah

"And by the way guys this is really a girly car. My wife actually drives it and not me."

Thanks for the heads up! I better trade keys with my wife for her SUV before some guy hits on me. Don't want anyone thinking I swing both ways.
I think that would be a great idea, but then again there is always the Miata in case you want a more girly car.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:25 PM

"I have already cracked the windshield with a rock, 2 dents in the parking lot, and just now the whole bottom of the front bumper got ripped out by a tire tread on the freeway. The car is only 2 months old."

isn't it amazing that all the road debris and car doors are attracted to your car.

Last edited by blkslk55; 07-18-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Some of us haven't had a single problem with the SLK. Sounds like you just registered on this forum in order to pimp other cars and bad mouth the SLK.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
lol i dont see why a cracked windshield and ripped front bumper due to an accident is anyones problem but yours... i personally feel that benzes now have lost their touch a bit but overall they are still great cars and i dont mind staying a customer in the years to come
Old 07-18-2005, 05:45 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
the rest of the car has no good qualities.
Thanks for letting us know. We are in the process of writing letters to ALL the car mags and reviewers that have said EXACTLY the opposite. Also we will be taking out ads in all the major newspaper asking people to change their mind and please return the cars to your dealer.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by mick1

Apparently the S4 doesnt have a windscreen that may crask nor does it hit objects on the road. That only happens to SLK's.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Take it easy people. I am glad that you all like your cars, but I am also entitled to my opinion as well. I think the people out there who are considering to get this car should know about the all the rattles and the cheap interior quality. My bad luck with this car shows to tell you how it can not withstand the normal driving hazards as well as other cars, due to its cheap built quality. This is why Mercedes has slipped so far down in the JD Powers quality ratings.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
My bad luck with this car shows to tell you how it can not withstand the normal driving hazards as well as other cars, due to its cheap built quality. This is why Mercedes has slipped so far down in the JD Powers quality ratings.
Really? Perhaps you would like to look at the JD Power Initial Quality Study for 2005 which shows Mercedes in 5th place - and Porsche 5th from the bottom:

http://www.andongkim.com/articles/20...5.htm#rankings

Other surveys relate to three year old old models, and it's well publicised that MB are trying to make new models better. The subtext seems to be that your wife wanted an SLK and you didn't so you were determined to hate it. You're entitled to an opinion of course, but you don't honestly expect to be heaped with praise for subjective criticism in a forum which is likely to be biased in favour of the SLK, do you?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Almost a Member!

On the sporty car and sport premium car segment there is no mention of the SLK in the top three. The 911 is number 3. I any case, my wife wanted a piece of C@#p Jaguar XK and I convinced her to get this car instead. Not her fault. I am trying to educate people who are considering the SLK to be aware of the problems. I guess I had higher hopes for Mercedes. I think they make fine sedans. The loaner C230 from the dealer was very nice. A little underpowered, but the AMG C55 would have taken care of that problem. The SL is a true example of luxury. They just cheaped out with this car. Honestly don't tell me that roof mechanism does not rattle like crazy.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The roof mechanism doesn't rattle or squeak in my car. You must have received a friday car.

Calling the SLK interior cheap is not getting down to the details. Compared to a high end Porsche, Aston Martin or an SL, it might be, but it's still higher up in interior quality then an MX5, S2000 or other well-liked Roadsters.

The SLK is a much cheaper car then the SL, thus you would be right to assume that they "cheaped out" on the car. Yet, the quality of it (at least that of my car) is higher then most other cars in its range.

If you consider yourself as some kinda evangelist on a mission to help people "see the light", why don't you consider the facts that some of us have completely troublefree cars with:
a) no squeaks
b) no rattles
c) no problems
d) consider the quality of the car to be above average

I've had a go in quite a few luxury cars and the quality of my SLK is completely adequate, and above that of other similar roadster either cheaper, or at the SLK's price range. Obviously, when going for a more expensive car, you should expect a better interior. But at this price point, I don't think there is a contest.

Get the roof rattles fixed, as that is definitely not normal. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the roof in my car does not rattle, nor does it squeak, and most of the people who post about the new SLK mention squeaks as the worst problem with the roof (and this is usually fixed with some well applied lube to those portions of the rubber joints that tend to rub against each other).

p.s. if you don't like the SLK, just get a car you like. Nobody is forcing you to drive it, and coming to a forum to take out your frustration on the SLK because you're unable to drive it without hitting on object here or there, is I'm sorry to say, just lame and makes you come off as a standard troll. Mind you, I understand your frustration, but only you can do something about it, and the forums are here to help you get rid of these frustrations. Sorry for sounding so negative, but I'm tired of seeing new members come on board with the sole intention of bad mouthing a car when the rest of the community is here to discuss their cars in a more civilised manner (especially when the majority of the community 'likes' the car).
Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM

I agree with Shinigami. I've had my car since last November without a rattle or any mechanical problems.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
what year is your S4?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM

I have had nothing but bad luck with this car. I have already cracked the windshield with a rock, 2 dents in the parking lot, and just now the whole bottom of the front bumper got ripped out by a tire tread on the freeway. The car is only 2 months old. Although all of the above could be bad luck, the rest of the car has no good qualities. Everything in the car rattles and the dealer has done nothing about it. It is normal noise, they said. The interior is very cheap and the dash and side panels on the doors scuff easily. This is my first and last Mercedes. I don't know what my wife was thinking buying this car after owning a Boxster with NO problems for 5 years. It is just a cute little car and that's all. But then the Miata is also a cute little car too!! The only good quality is the hard top. I wish I could return it and get her another Boxster. And by the way guys this is really a girly car. My wife actually drives it and not me. Now I have to give up my Audi S4 to the wife while I have to take this thing to a bodyshop to get it fixed. Now not driving my S4 makes me really mad.
doc here are the facts:
-a ROCK hit your windshield
-YOU ran over a tire tread
-YOU parked in a lot and got your car doors dented. (i park in a mall parking lot EVERY day and not a scratch or a dent. i have been parking my cars/trucks in mall lots for over 20 yrs and not any serious problems (maybe i am just lucky).
all the above are NOT i repeat NOT any of mb's problems.
"everything in the car rattles".......hmmmm going by how much damage YOU have caused to your car i wonder how you have treated the interior (just speculation doc, don't get up-set).
i will agree that there should be no noises coming form your trunk, this i should take up with your service manager. have you discussed this with the dealer without thrashing the car to them?
i don't mean to sound so harsh, however, the car which i drive is fantastic and i know two other people who bought one are loving theirs.

Last edited by blkslk55; 07-19-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55
I always blame the manufacturer for things like cracked windshields and parking lot dents. It is totally their fault I follow too closely behind people and park next to people who don't care about my car.

You'd think by now Mercedes (or their dealers) would take care of that!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:20 PM

My car is tight and the interior quality is good in my opinion. My issue is with the motor burning 9 qrts of oil in 4000 miles and the fact that MB will not even talk to me. The dealer, Phil Smart Seattle, has been even less help. The only person who is trying to help me is my service advisor who's hands are tied and has no authority to do anything. The lack of customer service and communication is totally unexceptable for the price class of automobile. I am sick of being lied too and then not getting even a call back from the dealer, MB or the zone rep. My plan now is to hang out in there show room and in front of the dealer to tell potential customers my fine MB experience and the lack of service. The car help because it draws a crowd and everyone loves to hear the story. I plan on hurting them where is counts and that the pocket book. My state lemon law looks like my only option along with a class action law suite. I will persue both to my fullest ablity including getting the media involved.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Almost a Member!

I have an 04 S4.

You know what, you guys are right it is all my fault. I should have gone and had my head examined when I cut the check to buy this car. Not a day goes by that I regret it. I am glad that you all LOVE your cars and it has been nothing but pure happiness for you all. This car brought me bad luck and that's why as soon as the bumper is fixed it will be available for sale. Let's see if one you SLK lovers will buy it and give it a good home. Thanks redvettex2 for pointing out the car's flaws and above all the poor service and lack of attention of the MB dealers. Honestly cut your losses and sell the piece of junk.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
they're not all bad, lol. through this entire forum you'll see people saying "gawd my car suxxxx sell this junk now!" but people like i end up with good ones (clk) and are happy
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
I have an 04 S4.

You know what, you guys are right it is all my fault. I should have gone and had my head examined when I cut the check to buy this car. Not a day goes by that I regret it. I am glad that you all LOVE your cars and it has been nothing but pure happiness for you all. This car brought me bad luck and that's why as soon as the bumper is fixed it will be available for sale. Let's see if one you SLK lovers will buy it and give it a good home. Thanks redvettex2 for pointing out the car's flaws and above all the poor service and lack of attention of the MB dealers. Honestly cut your losses and sell the piece of junk.

wanna trade
Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I can't wait to get my cheap and horrible car.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Talking

why did you buy it then if you think its a girly car and bad quality ? you dont even deserve to drive a Mercedes- Benz... and I doubt you have a Mercedes ...

cause people like you with your personalities just dont drive top end cars...

so go back to your Hyundai forum... :p
Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
why did you buy it then if you think its a girly car and bad quality ? you dont even deserve to drive a Mercedes- Benz... and I doubt you have a Mercedes ...

cause people like you with your personalities just dont drive top end cars...

so go back to your Hyundai forum... :p

Is there a Hyundai Forum? Since you know of one, maybe you are the one driving a Hyundai.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: This is one cheap and horrible car