SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK350 versus Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from a road trip to MT. I have done this trip in two other cars, a 95 6speed firehawk, and a 98 corvette. The SLK trunk holds a ton with soft sided luggage. And the top still could be lowered! In the vett it was top on because nowhere to stash it with the boot filled. The SLK was the best of the bunch in the wet. Very minimal hydroplaning at high speeds. The other cars huge tires floated all over and were a hand full in the wet. In the dry the MB holds it own just fine. Less following of rutts and grooves then the others. In high speed corners 90+ (Big sweepers) the car did seem like it was light and wanted to slide but it never moved a tire. Was not as planeted as the other two on the same turns but was just as fast. Just didnt give you the confidence bigger more planted V8's had. Front end handling seemed much smoother and more exact then the others. For a V6 it was very impressive. Ran with anything on the road. I ran 80 to 90 most of the time and got 25MPH which was right were the V8 would be with 6speeds. V8 might have gotton a mile or two more. On one long open streach I punched it at 85. Pull to 100 right away and pulled a hard very positive upshift which was sweet. Then pulled very hard to 142 and pulled another hard upshift. Traffic was approaching fast at this point and I had to let off. The little V6 doesnt give up as much as you would think to a big V8. Would loved to have gotten behind a vette to play and push the limits but maybe next time. The SLK will hold its is own. I know in the slower twisty's the SLK would be looking to pass. Not sure if you would have the power to hold the V8 off after the corner but would be fun to try.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK500 Coupe
Originally Posted by carthinker
See - you're like me! I'm a C6, SLK 350 and CLK 350 or 500 guy. Whta made the difference for you?
Well, the CLK500 was more practical for me, I can carry only 1 girl in a SLK or C6, but 3 in the CLK . Plus I got a really good deal on the CLK.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Okay, I'll revive this thread a bit.

These are the two vehicles I'm looking at. I really like both of them and I know they serve slightly different markets (I just happen to like both of those markets ).

Any feedback you can give on either would be appreciated.

This is a vehicle I would like to use for around town driving and the long weekend drives with the wife to places like St. Louis as well as Pensacola (5-7 hour drives).

I'd like to get feedback on things like daily drivability. Can you get groceries in these things? Is there room for storage inside the cabin or do I need to use the trunk for everything? What kind of maintenance (tires, oil, etc) are you needing to do?

What do you consider the strengths of the vehicle? Weaknesses?

I know each one caters to a different audience and each has its PERCEIVED audience. I am 36, married, and have 2 teenage kids. We have other vehicles for them to ride in, so this is for the wife and me.

Any input about either or both is appreciated!

-Paul
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Any feedback you can give on either would be appreciated.

This is a vehicle I would like to use for around town driving and the long weekend drives with the wife to places like St. Louis as well as Pensacola (5-7 hour drives).

I'd like to get feedback on things like daily drivability. Can you get groceries in these things? Is there room for storage inside the cabin or do I need to use the trunk for everything? What kind of maintenance (tires, oil, etc) are you needing to do?

What do you consider the strengths of the vehicle? Weaknesses?
I use my 350SLK just as you describe it. It is my everyday car-- back & forth to work; daughter to school; quick trips and errands. And it is the car my wife and I take on short and long voyages if it is just the two of us, as well as when we go out at night together. My wife drives the station wagon.

I cannot speak much for the 'Vette because I have never driven one. They are nice looking, and the are indeed powerful.

But I think you will get more overall, day to day enjoyment from the SLK, from what you describe as what you are looking for.

1. Your wife will love riding in it (and driving it too, if you let her.) It has creature comforts that women appreciate-- particularly the Scarf Air. (Get that option, even if you do live in the South.) That option allows us to have the top down even when it is as low as 40 degrees around here. My wife, who has about a 2 degree comfort zone still lets me keep the top down when it starts to get cool.

2. With the side windows up, and the rear windscreen in place (which I never remove), this is the quietest, most wind free convertible I have ever been in. You can carry on a quiet conversation at 70 mph, and your wife's hair will not get messed up. Taking a long trip in most convertibles is a tiring experience. Not so in the 350SLK. We drove over 2000 miles in a little over a week all around the South of France, most of it with the top down, at speeds in excess of 90 mph, and it was always a pleasant comfortable experience for both of us.

3. You just cannot say enough about the folding hard top. With it up, the car is a very cozy, very quiet coupe. It is fast and convenient to put it down. You don't have to worry about maintianing a canvas top, or lifting big chunks of roof off your car to use it as a convertible. Use of something like a convertible feature drops off geometrically as the hassle factor increases. I put the top down on my car nearly every time I drive it, if it does not look like it is about to rain. It takes 20 seconds, and I always let cars warm up a little at idle to let the oil start to circulate, so i put the top down during warm up. Putting it back up when I park is just as fast, so I don't have to worry about leaving it parked with the top down in questionable neighborhoods. I just almost always put it back up and lock it.

4. As to storage.... Hey, it's a two seat sports car. Don't count on any storage in the cabin, unless your wife is not with you. There is virtually no room with two people in the seats. That said, I have been amazed at how much stuff I can get in the trunk, even with the top down. With the top up, there is a lot more space. I have heard that the 'Vette has even less space, and it is not as convenient to use since the rim of the trunk is up about waist high (the SLK is cut to the level of the bumper), but you should be able to check that out easlily by looking at the two cars at a dealership.

5. As to handling, I love the feel of the SLK. It is remarkably solid, has plenty of power for me, holds its own against any stock car in its price range, and sounds great when it accelerates. Yes, I suppose a Porsche might beat it in some dead out race through the curves (although I have no proof of that), and yes, we all know that if you floor the 'Vette is will get to 60 faster. But so what? I will never be able to push my SLK through turns in the United States as I did in France, as I would have every state and city trooper waiting at the other end to cite me out of insurability, and last I checked, there are no open speed drag strips between my home and my office.

Good luck. I hope that helps.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Maverick, that is EXACTLY the kind of information I am looking for.

As much as I love the Vette, in all practicality, the SLK makes more sense, with the exception of storage (the Vette has nearly 14 cubic feet in the coupe). But for weekend trips, I think it would be great! Ultimately, I want it to be something we both enjoy driving, even if it is 'my' car.

I guess my decision is: do I want luxury with some sport or sport with some luxury. I'm thinking the former and the SLK will fit that quite well.

Does the SLK have Bluetooth?

My combination would be Capri Blue with Beige interior. Wood Trim, Premium, AMG package, Nav, and Entertainment (with perhaps the iPod interface for my mini).

Anybody have suggestions on what kind of pricing I should be looking for on an ordered SLK?

-Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by erickpl

I guess my decision is: do I want luxury with some sport or sport with some luxury.
Or if you want all the performance of a 'vette PLUS the luxury, get the SLK55 AMG.

Have you checked local exotic car rental agencies to see if you can rent a Corvette for a weekend? It's a great real-world test of a car. Unfortunately, you probably won't find an SLK rental, but at least you could bang on the 'vette for a couple of days.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not going the SLK55 route. It would be the SLK350. With gas prices going up, I wanted something with at least the same mileage or better than what I'm getting on the car I'd get rid of.

30 mpg on the highway with the Vette should be considered, but I'm just concerned about fit/finish/driveability of the Vette on a day in / day out basis.

When I take the Vettes out, I plan on driving them for a few hours on a variety of roads. If the dealer won't let me, then I guess my decision is made. We've already been given an SLK for a day to drive, so I know dealers will do it.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:51 AM

I have owned both and this is a very tough choice. I see the Vette as a dime a dozen they are everywhere. The SLK is much more rare and you should be pretty unique in your area. The performance and driveablitly of the vette is excellent. I used all mine as daily drivers and they were excellent. I Z06 was a bit over the top in my book. Not so much a daily driver but more or a weekend race car. You always had your hands full and every rice rocket out there was always messing with you. Was hard to not want to blow their doors off. If I was to get another vette it would be a coupe with the standard suspension. The ride is excellent and you do not need to be stiffer unless you plan to race or autocross the car. The targa roof is nice but it is a hassle to remove everytime you want the get some air or need to go into a store in a questionable area. You do get a lot of wind and buffiting with the targa off. The new interior is now much nicer in the vettes now. The old ones were plasticy but held up excellent. I had now problems with any of my vettes, I mean zero. Build quality was excellent, I can not say the same for the SLK. MB has been a big disappoinment in this catagory. The lack of service from MB is also the worst I have experienced in any car I have every owned. They have that master race mentanlity but there product does not live up to there attitude. That said, I do love the SLK. In fact my replacement is on order. For top down touring there is nothing better in my opinion. At 90 mph the interior is very comfortable with little noise or wind(with the wind sock installed). Storage is smaller on the SLK then the vette but with a carry on and soft side bags you can pack for a 2 week trip and still have the top down, i was very impressed. Performance between the 2 are not as far apart as you would think. The SLK will hold its own even thought it short 2 cylinders. The 7 speed auto truely helps even out the horsepower differential. This is more my wifes car so hence the auto(im i stick guy) but I do not think I would order this car with a stick after owning and driving it. It is quicker then a stick and is fun to drive even with the auto.
The paddle shifters are useless but I do use the slap stick at times. It truely does get to know your driveing style. I was surprised on the way home one day as I took a corner very hard and nailed the car at the apex and the car had down shifted to the perfect gear and power slide the corner hanging the tail out in a perfect power slide. I had the ESP off as I ussually do in the dry. I distrust the computers after it had caused and accident in my z06. Prevented the car from turning and sliding a corner as modest speed to avoid being rear ended. I was full lock right and the car stayed straight as an arrow into a sign post. Full breaking on the left side and came to stop 8 ft past the sign. With the computer of I would not have missed a beat, maybe a little rear end slide but nothing major. Also the heating package is a must have in the SLK. At 40 degrees the car is more then comfortable with the top down and windows up. Same dayt in my truck if i lower the window i am freezing.
That part blows my mind. I live in the rainy pacific northwest so a hard top convertible or a targa is my only choice. The SLK is rock solid over bumps with top up or down. 06 should be a better year since they are working the bugs out I hope. I just hate dealing with the master race when a problem does happen. They had bad motors out there and they just keep jerking everyones chain. Also tranny problems. Mine has been rebuilt twice and the engine replaced. The motor seems fine with no oil burning as of yet and the tranny seems fixed. I just was not about the pay 55K for a car with 3 tranny's and a replaced motor at 5K miles. They offered me nothing but bad attitudes and BS the entire time. The dealer definetly has alot to do with it but so does MB customer care which only would recommend I try a new dealer. The only satisfaction I got was after I but a plan together to protest all the MB dealers in my area regarding MB's lack of service and refusel to even discuss the issue. I too got the standard line that burning a qrt of oil every 800 miles is acceptable. How stupid do they actually think the consumer is? Very it sure seems like. If that the best there engine builders can do they better get them from Japan!!!! After I let them know my plan I got and offer for a full refund or to replace the car which was the right thing to do. The statement that now one will know you have a replaced engine is total BS. They actually told me they ship a blank block to the dealer and then stamp it with the orginal vin#. I asked if the DOT knows that and isnt that fraud and all I got was a blank stare and silence. They did finally admit the replaced motor car would be worth less at trade in!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Cadillac SRX and Viper SRT-10 (mine) and E500 and SLK350 AMG pkg. (wifes)
Ill take the Slk

The SLK is truly the better car overall. In terms of performance no. But in class, prestige, looks, and luxury the SLK dominates. Ive never owned a c6 but I did own a 2000 C5 and a 2002 C5 Z06 and now I have a 2004 viper (best car ever!) From my experience taking a test drive in a C6 and the other two vettes I can say the Slk is much more comfortable, luxurious, and gets a lot more attention. The SLK was bought for my wife and I took it for a drive. Im used to a lot of attention while driving beacause 95% of people look at the viper and I was surprised to see that about 85% of people were staring at the SLK including teenage boys who in my area take a lot to impress. Now in performance the SLK is really quick. I put it in 3rd and it just takes off. Im sure it would be even faster if I didn't have it fully loaded. Its much better than the SL500 in my opinion. Overall, the SLK is the car to get, screw the corvette every kid in America has one or could get one. The SLK will run you $62000 fully loaded and a vette about $52000. And the Clk 350 is a soccer moms car just trying to look better in a vert.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:16 AM

I sincerely have to question that a "Viper" is better car then a C6. I have driven many I think it is nothing but junk. Hot, Loud, Uncomfortable, many rattles and the list goes on. The motor is impressive but that is about it. You must not drive it very much is all I can say. I had one for a week and could not wait to give it back. A good friend of mine has a viper and a c6. His is the viper and the wife has the c6. He is always trying to leave his wife with the Viper because it such a bad daily driver. The ride is nothing short of punishing. She keeps telling him you bought you drive it! The C6s ride like a caddy compared to the Viper. Performance wise the C6 handles better, rides better, is more comfortable day in and day out. Put some miles on that viper and get back to us. I think you will have a differeent opinion once it gets used a bit. They do have a unique look and are not a dime a dozen like the Vette's but you couldnt give me one to drive regularly. Once or twice a month at the max. I prefer to drive my cars daily. I have had a few garage queens but whats the use of looking at it and not driving it. Glad you like it but that one blew me away. My opinion is fun for ten minutes and thats it.

PS. I sold all my Vettes but they were great daily drivers except the 03' z06, it was also a bit much for daily driver. To harsh and a hand full if pushed hard. If I was to get another Vette it would be a stardard C6. The new Z06 looks good and you have to love the HP but hard to live with every day. Just another garage queen.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM

The viper

I know this is supposed to be about the SLK but the viper is not junk. I don't hear any rattles. Yeah, its hot and everything but that is what makes it unique. I drive one because its fast and not many people have one. You can't use it as a daily driver but the people that can afford one don't use it as a daily driver. If I wanted I could easily sell my viper and SRX Cadillac and buy a corvette or ferrari 360 and use that everyday. I don't like how people mention daily drivers. I have two kids and can't have only a two seater like the SLK is my wifes second car because she also has an E500. You should buy a vette or viper because its a SPORTS car not GT or daily driver. If you want a GT buy an M3 or Carrera. My friend who is very active on vette forums, he goes by the name JB did a review and used my viper look for it sometime.

Last edited by slkviper510; 09-26-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 PM

How many miles do you have on that Viper. Call me you get 20K on it and tell me about road noise and rattles. The V-10 shakes the car apart over time. That motor did the same thing to the Dodge trucks they put it in. They are fine when brand new. I almost bought one and went and checked out a bunch of used ones. Long term it is not pretty. Run it on weekends and dump it before you get too many miles on it. I wanted a 12 Ferrari real bad too but for it just to sit in the garage and look pretty was not for me. My wife uses the SLK as her daily driver. I run everything I own pretty hard if not very hard. I have friends ask me why I am so hard on my toys. My response is I am the one paying for it so i want to use it the most I can. I am not into babying them so the guy who gets it when im done has a cream puff. The Vettes can be run hard all day and they stay tight. You will not be able to say the same for the viper. They break when pushed hard. Why have a sports car you can't push hard. That why I am so impressed with the SLK. It is rock solid for and open air car. I would guess your viper is a coupe. They are better then the rag top ones. Good luck.

PS. Vette with plastic body makes a great airport car. After 3 years of leaving it at the airport the body didnt have one door ding. It was perfect. I can't say that about any other car I have owned.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Viper

No actually I have the convertible they just started making a coupe this year. Im not going to get it though, I might wait until next year when the car gets a supposed 550- 600 hp. I agree with you though that the corvette is a great car. I loved each one, in fact I loved the z06 so much it put me in a depression the 1st week I got rid of it. Now I realize though that the viper more fun than a vette. A vette felt like a normal car with power. Also, I don't have 20k on the car yet but, when most people think of vipers with problems, they are referring to the old viper which had bad fit and finish because of the difficulty of assembling the body. The new one goes together much easier and the viper is hand made which also makes it better. The vette comes off an assembly line which is why some gaps aren't perfect on some. Everything is perfectly assembled on the viper. This is what makes the viper cost 85- 90k instead of probably 65- 75k. You need to own one to really know and you cant compare the old one with this one. By the way does anyone know if an SLK55 is as comfortable as a regular SLK350?: 2006 SLK 350, white 6- speed w/ amg pkg, premium pkg, comfort pkg, trim pkg, entertainment, and heating. 2004 viper- red. comes loaded (not saying much). Cadillac SRX- black. 2003 E500- silver. 2002 Z06 electron blue- traded in.

Last edited by slkviper510; 09-27-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i'd choose the CLK350

CLK is a Bigger ride, incase u needa fit some ppl, SLK would be the next choice, but i dont think u should get a vette

if u get a vette, a few years from now, its just a vette, but a mercedes will always be a mercedes
Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 PM

05 SLK350; 00 Lexus GS400; 05 Corvette
Still glad I didn't have to choose... and got BOTH!

PS: Vette coupe still takes the cake on storage... now the Vette convertible is a different storage: next to nothing. The SLK beats the C6 vert trunk anyday.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Almost a Member!

06 SLK55, iridium/black 030 AMG Performance Pkg 319 Lighting Pkg 326 Premium Pkg 420 Entertainment
Hey docrings,

I read your posts for a while and what can I say, you did well. I too as many have had trouble deciding between the SLK and the C6. I took a look at the C6 prior to getting the SLK and made the choice of getting the SLK350 due to the excellent sales team at Mercedes. I like the C6's performance and so does every magazine reviewing the C6. The SLK sold me due to its amazing roof, great lines, European looks and solid feel. I see the Corvette is being inspired by the European automakers as far as looks, My decision would have been a lot easier when comparing the SLK350 to the C5, but the C6 does have a nice look. I only got to test drive a C5 and it was an auto which I didn't like, I also didn't like the cheap interior. I wonder how the C6 in a manual compares to the SLK350, does it give you a lot more of a rush then the SLK350? I read a comparison of the SLK55 AMG VS. the Corvette C6 and the SLK55 is actually faster according to car and driver. If the SLK55 wasn't as hard to get as it was when I ordered my SLK350, I would have had an easier time deciding between the SLK55 and C6 (SLK55 all the way). SLK350 Vs. C6, I'm more or less mutual. I feel both differ and each has their own advantages over the other, But then again were comparing apples to peaches.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:26 AM

2005 SLK350 BLACK (HERS) 2004 C5(MINE)
I have a 2004 Corvette ,coupe ,and love it .Its a blast to drive and has pleanty of power and I have had no problems in 20,000 miles.I have had the wifes SLK350 in the shop twice in 3500 miles. I agree with others there is many vettes ,but I would not say that in 5 years its just a vette . The slk is also a blast to drive and the power is pretty good and I love the push button drop top. Benz is a tad better on long trips but the vette is good too!
SLK350 versus Corvette Coupe-mercedes003.jpg
SLK350 versus Corvette Coupe-06012005013.jpg

Last edited by Mojo1; 09-29-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM

Slk

Just as a second for that other guy, it is only a vette but not in 5 years. Its just a vette after maybe 1 year. I notice the C6 getting some looks now but once there are more on the road everyone will be like oh look its another vette. Thats the 10th Ive seen today. They have already made 33,000 vettes this year and they have started the next batch of 30,000 for 2006. Get the SLK they make less of them then vettes and they are better daily drivers which seems to be what you are looking for. If you just want a weekend car get a corvette z06. 505 hp, 470 torque, 0-60 in 3.5, 1/4 mile in 11.5@127, and top speed of 198 MPH for only $66,000.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:49 PM

2005 SLK350 BLACK (HERS) 2004 C5(MINE)
Originally Posted by slkviper510
Just as a second for that other guy, it is only a vette but not in 5 years. Its just a vette after maybe 1 year. .
I ,being a vette owner,do not feel that way .I love the vette and plan on keeping it for a while .Many other vette owners feel the same way . And yes there is plenty of them on the road but its still a vette.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Mojo1
I ,being a vette owner,do not feel that way .I love the vette and plan on keeping it for a while .Many other vette owners feel the same way . And yes there is plenty of them on the road but its still a vette.
Y'know - I don't know whether it is the right idea to wonder how many people stare at your car. If MB had its way, there would be skads of SLKs driving the roads. Personally, I've driven new models that have a certain "wow" characteristic - and I don't like it. I don't want people (or speed trap police for that matter) taking special notice of my car. I'd much rather select the car on its cold-statistics and its not so cold - does it make me smile and forget my troubles when I drive it.

Both the Vette and SLK have this going for them.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

On serious SLK issue seems to be the safety history. Take a look at
http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/ictl_sport.html

The scores are normalized on a scale of 200. While "not bad" the SLK's 72 is really not what I would expect from an upper end car. The Boxster whomps on it. The Vette is fabulous!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by carthinker
On serious SLK issue seems to be the safety history. Take a look at
http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/ictl_sport.html

The scores are normalized on a scale of 200. While "not bad" the SLK's 72 is really not what I would expect from an upper end car. The Boxster whomps on it. The Vette is fabulous!
That data is for the old body style SLK 170 not the 171!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
Having recently sold my C6 Corvette and then taking delivery of a new SLK55 I can speak to the differences between these cars.
The SLK55 is absolutely a more "tightly" built car then the 'Vette.
The 'Vette, in terms of raw power, really does move out fast and in fact feels faster than the SLK.
However, the SLK sounds ALOT better and in terms of acceleration numbers, is right with with the 'Vette.
Sure, the 'Vettes interior has been updated - but honestly, it's still a Fisher Price playroom in terms of the type of plastic used and how it feels/works.
If you are looking for a the button in the 'Vette to lower the roof - forget it. Instead, you can exit the car, manually lift off the targa, and then stow it in the rear hatch area.
Finally, there are now reports on the corvette internet forum that the targa roofs are detaching and blowing off these cars.

And people think Mercedes Benz has quality issues.

Last edited by novabenz; 11-04-2005 at 11:43 AM.