SLK/R171: oh.. the horror...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBZ SLK
oh.. the horror...

Well anyway, I will not be posting any pics soon of my car lowered with DCR hockenheims. I found out my hub thread patterns are out of spec, according to Discount tires, they measured the thread patterns and said it was smaller than the other three sides.

What does that mean?
I might have to pay for a new hub unless I can prove that I have a defective hub, since the original lug nuts and wheels bolt on tightly, although just barely, it does fit. And since my aftermarket lug nuts and aftermarket wheels doesn't fit, it's going to be my problem. Anybody knows the part # for the hub? Yuya said, that MB will probably rape me if I let them do it, it looks like an easy job.

I'm not going to lower my rear anytime soon, either, not giving MB any excuse to blame me.

Major props for Yuya and DCR for doing anything they can to resolve my issue, even though the problem isn't with their wheels. Highly recommended.

More details here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=2&fid=27
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
I really don't understand why you're having problems with one and I assume the other three are OK? Obviously you're not having problems with the current aftermarket wheels on your SLK. I hope that MB service and the wheel manufacturer help you get the problem resolved. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress and the resolution .
Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by -1-
I really don't understand why you're having problems with one and I assume the other three are OK? Obviously you're not having problems with the current aftermarket wheels on your SLK. I hope that MB service and the wheel manufacturer help you get the problem resolved. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress and the resolution .
Yes, all four wheels are okay, three corners except for the driver side front is okay, hopefully the lug nuts that Yuya from DCR sent me will fit so I don't have to take it to MB dealer. The wheel manufacturer is doing everything they can to resolve the issue even though it's not a problem with the wheel. Luck, I will need it if I take it to MB dealer hopefully they admit it's a MB defective and don't 'rape' me in parts and labor. Will definately keep you posted.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Did you ever have the front wheels removed and remounted by someone? If so, it's possilble that the shop damaged your threads. It's sad, but common for tire shops to over-torque lug bolts when mounting wheels. Perhaps they accidentally inserted the wrong lug bolt and then attempted to mount the wheel. Once realizing their error, they use the correct lug bolt but do not inform the owner. Possible?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
Did you ever have the front wheels removed and remounted by someone? If so, it's possilble that the shop damaged your threads. It's sad, but common for tire shops to over-torque lug bolts when mounting wheels. Perhaps they accidentally inserted the wrong lug bolt and then attempted to mount the wheel. Once realizing their error, they use the correct lug bolt but do not inform the owner. Possible?
No, b/c I tried to install it myself first being very carefully with it, it didn't go all the way in, it was kinda tight, I then use an impact wrench with low torque settings, it didn't go in much. I didn't want to force anything, didn't want to strip the threads on both the nuts and the hub so I took it to Discount, they tried what I originally did, took the lug nuts and screw it in by hand, it didn't go in much, they then measured the thread and said it was out of spec compared to the rest, Discount then used the OEM lug nuts and it's extremely tight fit compared to the rest. I don't trust Discount or any other major tire chain. The only reason I took it to them is to see if they have other lug nuts available to try and they have gauges to measure the threads.

Yuya from DCR sent me two different types of 12MM lug nuts made for Mercedes, we'll see if they fit this weekend but the problem still remains, why is one side different than the rest? Even if the lug nut fits, it's still a problem.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
So...

Do you currently have

Front Brabus springs with OE Amg wheels
and
Rear OE springs with DCR wheels?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dsb
So...

Do you currently have

Front Brabus springs with OE Amg wheels
and
Rear OE springs with DCR wheels?
Yes, exactly.. hopefully that'll change soon. I don't want to lower my rears yet, until I get the hub fixed. You know Mercedes will use every excuse to make me pay for it, saying I installed all these aftermarkets mods to ruin the car, hopefully it doesn't get to that point. If I didn't have this problem the rears would've be lowered already, everything would've been great.

It looks kinda funny, the rears are extremely high compared to the front and the front looks like it's on the floor with the rears tilted up. I'll post some pics this weekend if it stops snowing.