SLK/R171: SLK350 and Nibble Antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
SLK350 and Nibble Antenna

I have another question!

I'm seeing two versions of the antenna (I think FM antenna). It's on the left rear of the car, on the left of the trunk. One is really long and the other is just a short stub (similar to the antenna of the SL). Where can I find the short stub antenna? The long one makes the SLK look like a toy?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:20 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The short one exists in several versions.

The first one is a mini antenna from an SL. Receptions is either good or poor according to different people, no clear answer on it being good or bad. This one can be had in the color of the vehicle.

The second one is a special one made specifically for the SLK. It's black, had a few ridges/rings on the bottom, and is slightly taller then the SL antenna. Receptions is supposed to be good. I think it doesn't look as good as the SL one.

Then there's a third one which looks like the SL antenna, but comes in addition with a bumper mounted radio coil/strip. This requires extra work as you need to tape/attach the wire to the rear bumper (on the inside) and meanwhile you also add the SL type antenna as you would add a normal one. The advantage of this is that you can have it painted the same color as the car, the bumper mounted antenna strip also ensures good reception, and you can order it from Brabus... however, it costs a little more then the others and requires more work to install.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:10 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
stubby antenna

great response as always! here is a link with searches for small antenna from other forum

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sear...&action=search
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 PM

sl antenna w/ ridges/ring

Hi,

Where can I find the one with ridges/ring? Thanks!

I saw this one on ebay that claims to have exact reception as original antenna. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Chris

Originally Posted by Shinigami
The short one exists in several versions.

The first one is a mini antenna from an SL. Receptions is either good or poor according to different people, no clear answer on it being good or bad. This one can be had in the color of the vehicle.

The second one is a special one made specifically for the SLK. It's black, had a few ridges/rings on the bottom, and is slightly taller then the SL antenna. Receptions is supposed to be good. I think it doesn't look as good as the SL one.

Then there's a third one which looks like the SL antenna, but comes in addition with a bumper mounted radio coil/strip. This requires extra work as you need to tape/attach the wire to the rear bumper (on the inside) and meanwhile you also add the SL type antenna as you would add a normal one. The advantage of this is that you can have it painted the same color as the car, the bumper mounted antenna strip also ensures good reception, and you can order it from Brabus... however, it costs a little more then the others and requires more work to install.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by toef1st
Hi,

Where can I find the one with ridges/ring? Thanks!

I saw this one on ebay that claims to have exact reception as original antenna. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Chris
Stay away, that one DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

only the r170 antenna and the SL antenna with bumper extension works, "Search" is your friend
Old 05-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 SLK 55
Beleriand had the SL antenna and bumper extension antenna installed. CEC-Brabus wants about $500 installed and painted (bumper has to be removed). According to Beleriand, he still loses about 30% of radio reception.

I have the SL antenna without the extension, radio reception seems to be by chance; however (better when on the road than parked in the garage), I don't listen to the radio while driving so it doesn't matter.
The range of your RF remote key will also be reduced to around 30 feet.

I've seen photos of SLK with the R170 antenna (the one with douple of ridges on the bottom of the antenna), painted and unpainted, and members have stated that the reception is not affected. The SL antenna still has the best looks.

Last edited by etyu; 05-19-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by etyu
I've seen photos of SLK with the R170 antenna (the one with douple of ridges on the bottom of the antenna), painted and unpainted, and members have stated that the reception is not affected. The SL antenna still has the best looks.
I have the r170 antenna painted, my reception has not changed at all, absolutely must have, although I've read a few members in England as well as the east coast that had bad reception. I agree the SL antenna looks the best, just a warning for those who will paint the r170 antenna, the top bit is rubber and very flexible so be careful not to flex it b/c paint will chip off.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM

'06 Red SLK350 & '01 Black ML320
Originally Posted by Ynot
I have the r170 antenna painted, my reception has not changed at all, absolutely must have, although I've read a few members in England as well as the east coast that had bad reception. I agree the SL antenna looks the best, just a warning for those who will paint the r170 antenna, the top bit is rubber and very flexible so be careful not to flex it b/c paint will chip off.
Ynot,
Can you please post a close-up of your r170 antenna?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 01:33 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
antenna

see my post above and the link and it has pictures of the black stubby antenna
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by benz--man
Ynot,
Can you please post a close-up of your r170 antenna?
Thanks
Here's one,

Old 05-19-2006, 03:08 PM

SLK28
niceeee. is this the $500 antenna??
Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by 9moon
niceeee. is this the $500 antenna??
You have one extra 0 at the end.

only $50.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:10 PM

SLK28
u kiddin me right?? i was lookin at the same antenna under the site FORMYMERCEDES.COM and the same item was for $500... really... where did u order urs??? and was it hard to install??
Old 05-19-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
u kiddin me right?? i was lookin at the same antenna under the site FORMYMERCEDES.COM and the same item was for $500... really... where did u order urs??? and was it hard to install??
No, not kidding at all, call up your dealer and order it, the part# is below, if you dealer charges more than $60 bucks, call glausermb.com, asked the parts dept and asked for a 15% discount, they just give it to you, no questions asked. The ones at 4mymerc.com is the SL one with the bumper extension, that's much more expensive, this cheap one does what I want so, I'll stick to that, keep the money saved a get and roof module, well worth it.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:25 AM

SLK28
tell me about it... i wanna order that roof module, but i just cant find anyone at the moment that would install it for me.. all my buddies think that benz should only be touched by their own mechanics!!

Old 05-20-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
tell me about it... i wanna order that roof module, but i just cant find anyone at the moment that would install it for me.. all my buddies think that benz should only be touched by their own mechanics!!

Installation and all details about the module can be found here.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...mote-roof.html

I'll just tell you the good stuff, roof module enables

1. you to operate the roof up to 30mph.
2. lock/unlock roof by pressing the lock/unlock three times on the key fob.
3. Works with radio frequency so, you can operate the roof at a distance
4. No longer need to hold the button for 22 seconds, now you just have to hold it for a second.
5. lower windows with three press of the key fob button

That's it, enough to justify the cost. Now that I have it, I can't live w/o it. Don't let MB mechanics to work on it, it will void warranty when they find out you have it. It's a simple install, members at BW w/o any experience did it so, anybody can do it.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 SLK 55
May I add that it locks the door on closing the roof (first three 1-second clicks on the lock button; I found that 1/2-second click also works), the windows go up on the 2nd set of 3 clicks (lock).

I am not technically or mechanically inclined (I just know a few principles and learned a lot of technical stuff from the different forums) but was confident with all the detailed instructions and tips to go ahead with the install. RF module WORKS after inital connection. My friends at work think I'm risking it. They will be amazed when they see it on Monday.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM

SLK28
wassup Y.. i just called glausermb.. and they do have this on stock for about $60.00... how ez is it to install, and since i have a DIAMOND SILVER (COLOR), is there a way to paint it w/ that similar color?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 SLK 55
wassup Y.. i just called glausermb.. and they do have this on stock for about $60.00... how ez is it to install, and since i have a DIAMOND SILVER (COLOR), is there a way to paint it w/ that similar color?
Install is easy. Unscrew your present antenna using the round black tool that came with your car. Screw in the new antenna.

If you paint your antenna, you may have to consider painting the antenna base for it to look good.

You can always ask the automotive paint store to give you the exact match by giving them the color code, include your model year, make and model.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:45 PM

SLK28
sorry dude.. but what black round tool are u talkin about? the only other item i remember that came w/ my car was the net for the headrest..
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 PM

SLK28
yo Y, by the way dude.. i notice that extra muscle from the side of ur car towards the rear wheels... is that something u added? i only see those under the AMG model.. does that come with the 350 as well??
Old 05-23-2006, 02:08 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
tool

here is tool

Last edited by jbanks15; 09-30-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 SLK 55
sorry dude.. but what black round tool are u talkin about? the only other item i remember that came w/ my car was the net for the headrest..
Check out this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...w-remove.html:)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
tool

hey etyu. i could not get to your link. fyi
Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM

SLK28
neither can i.. but anyhow, where is that tool hidden? is it w/ the rest of the tools that came w/ the benz? i dont remember seeing any tool similar to that..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: SLK350 and Nibble Antenna