SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK55 Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Alabaster White SLK55 AMG June Delivery
SLK55 Suspension Question

Newb here just ordered a 2006 Alabaster White SLK55 for April production and June delivery. I have a couple questions regarding suspension, I tried searching for it but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. Apologize in advance if it's frequently asked.

I'm looking for about 1 inch drop, nothing more, it's more for cosmetics, I don't like wheel gap.

1. What's the ground clearance of the SLK55 in stock form?
2. Does Eibach make a pro-kit for the SLK55? If so, what is the drop? (I've read in some posts that Eibach makes a kit but it isn't listed on their site)
3. How much is the drop on the Brabus springs? How are they comparable to the Eibach in terms of pricing/handling/install difficulty/whether they are compatible with other shock combinations. i.e Brabus springs/Brabus shocks or H&R springs/Koni Yellows.
4. I'm not an aggressive driver, so I don't think I need to change the shocks. I've had a set of Eibach pro-kits on my RSX-S for 1.5 years now and it's still holding up well. However, any input would be nice.

I know Intrax makes a spring for the SLK55 but honestly, I'm really reluctant on picking up a set of those.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by max_boost
I'm looking for about 1 inch drop, nothing more, it's more for cosmetics, I don't like wheel gap.

1. What's the ground clearance of the SLK55 in stock form?
2. Does Eibach make a pro-kit for the SLK55? If so, what is the drop? (I've read in some posts that Eibach makes a kit but it isn't listed on their site)
3. How much is the drop on the Brabus springs? How are they comparable to the Eibach in terms of pricing/handling/install difficulty/whether they are compatible with other shock combinations. i.e Brabus springs/Brabus shocks or H&R springs/Koni Yellows.
4. I'm not an aggressive driver, so I don't think I need to change the shocks. I've had a set of Eibach pro-kits on my RSX-S for 1.5 years now and it's still holding up well. However, any input would be nice.

I know Intrax makes a spring for the SLK55 but honestly, I'm really reluctant on picking up a set of those.
First, congrats on your purchase, you've made a fine choice.

yes, the fender gap is very annoying, everybody feels your pain

1. about 4 1/2 inches if I remember correctly, if you want specifics, go to benzworld.org and do a search for member id fgwinn and ground clearance. He has pics and measurements.

2. Yes, eibach makes springs for our SLK but in the name of Brabus, eibach does not sell by the eibach name here in the states, if you are from europe or asia, you can get them for half the price of Brabus, btw, update your profile so we know where you are from. For the SLK55, 1/4" front and 1" rear, just enough to get rid of the fender gap.

3. Brabus = eibach but more expensive.

4. No, the stock shocks are good enough, all you need is the springs.

5. H&R are your other choice, cheaper, stiffer, and lower, Brabus will be very similiar to OEM.

6. KW makes a full suspension kit for the r171 SLK.

Enjoy.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:08 PM

C219 CLS 500(sold), R171 SLK 350(sold), W210 E320 (sold), W204 C280, W221 S500
yeah i'm deciding whether to do springs or coilovers myself...H&R just came out with a coilover suspension for our slk as well you might wanna consider that
Old 03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by GINGER
yeah i'm deciding whether to do springs or coilovers myself...H&R just came out with a coilover suspension for our slk as well you might wanna consider that
Interesting, I was not aware of the H&R coilover suspension, knew that made springs.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:48 PM

2006 Alabaster White SLK55 AMG June Delivery
Fantastic News.
I'll be contacting my local tunershop to pick up a set of Brabus springs.