SLK/R171: SLK versus c6 or CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK versus c6 or CLK

Hey guys!

I"ve driven the SLK and think it is great! However, I've driven a C6 and think it is great! I've driven a CLK and like the back seats.

My one SLK worry is that the car is sooo small. I have some worries that the SLK is too small to be safe, whereas the C6 is quite a bit larger.

Am I chasing the wrong thing here?

Thanks!

- Thinker
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by carthinker
Hey guys!

I"ve driven the SLK and think it is great! However, I've driven a C6 and think it is great! I've driven a CLK and like the back seats.

My one SLK worry is that the car is sooo small. I have some worries that the SLK is too small to be safe, whereas the C6 is quite a bit larger.

Thanks!

- Thinker

a bigger car does not imply safety. I know that MB outshines most on collision tests including GM. Ive never tested the cars but like all 3. Although it would depend on whats practical for you. If you dont mind no back seat, i would go with the SLK. The new design is just sexy.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Hey guys!

Thanks!

- Thinker
Not a bad choice in the bunch. I assume the "C6" you refer to is the new version Corvette? The SLK is the smallest of the three. I wouldn't consider the SLK to be less safe because it's smaller. One BIG plus for me, the SLK is unique and currently you don't see many on the roads. I considered a new Corvette, but liked the SLK best.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Corvette

Originally Posted by -1-
Not a bad choice in the bunch. I assume the "C6" you refer to is the new version Corvette? The SLK is the smallest of the three. I wouldn't consider the SLK to be less safe because it's smaller. One BIG plus for me, the SLK is unique and currently you don't see many on the roads. I considered a new Corvette, but liked the SLK best.
Hi! Yes, by C6 I mean the new Corvette. I would have NEVER considered a GM car before. I usually drive Audis. But the new Corvette has a much nicer interior and a slick look.

I drove the SLK. Once in it - it didn't feel small at all. I really liked the interior. Did you drive them side-by-side? (I haven't yet). What made you move over to the SLK? Have you ever taken the SLK on a longer trip? How was it?

Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
-1-

Hi! Yes, by C6 I mean the new Corvette. I would have NEVER considered a GM car before. I usually drive Audis. But the new Corvette has a much nicer interior and a slick look.

I drove the SLK. Once in it - it didn't feel small at all. I really liked the interior. Did you drive them side-by-side? (I haven't yet). What made you move over to the SLK? Have you ever taken the SLK on a longer trip? How was it?

Thanks!!
The new version Corvette (6th generation) is a beautiful vehicle. Highly rated and moderately priced. A whole lot of car for the money. There's a great forum for the Vette, www.corvetteforum.com . I had a Corvette before, never had a Mercedes.

The SLK is mainly my wife's second car. I considered the Audi TT, new Corvette, and the SLK. The SLK is so unique. Too many Corvettes and the Audi TT is too dated. I reckon it was the retracable hard top. Never drove the new Corvette. The Audi TT while cute, looks like a retangular box next to a rocket (SLK). I have driven the SLK on a trip, I find the seats uncomfortable. My wife and I both love the SLK.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by -1-
The new version Corvette (6th generation) is a beautiful vehicle. Highly rated and moderately priced. A whole lot of car for the money. There's a great forum for the Vette, www.corvetteforum.com . I had a Corvette before, never had a Mercedes.

The SLK is mainly my wife's second car. I considered the Audi TT, new Corvette, and the SLK. The SLK is so unique. Too many Corvettes and the Audi TT is too dated. I reckon it was the retracable hard top. Never drove the new Corvette. The Audi TT while cute, looks like a retangular box next to a rocket (SLK). I have driven the SLK on a trip, I find the seats uncomfortable. My wife and I both love the SLK.
I LOVE the corvetteforum. It is one of the best car forums I've ever seen. It is heavily moderated so there's very little nonsense.

I've never owned either a vette or any mercedes. For the last many years I'm an Audi fan for my daily driver. Love the Audis, but I'm not a fan of the TT (I agree that it is a little dated and a little small) or the A4 (needs updating). I liked the S4 - but it is about to be replaced. Plus - I'm in the mood foir something different.

- Thinker
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Get the Corvette C6 Z51 package and 6speed manual its Really overworked
Old 03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by alroumi
Get the Corvette C6 Z51 package and 6speed manual its Really overworked
Really? I'm worried the z51 - despite what Kerbeck says - will still be too jarring. I'm not a young guy (40...ish). I drove an F55 and liked the suspension. I drove the standard suspension and was massively underwhelmed. Not worht buying.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 PM
-1-

I agree, the CorvetteForum is great. A lot of action, tons of information, post after post. Those Corvette lovers are super passionate about their vehicles. The Z51 suspension package is a super buy for the money. Although a good buy, I believe it's more of a "macho" status thing. Plus, it's hard to get an allocation for the Z51 option. Most could save a little money and enjoy a smoother ride. Being a Corvette, if I was to get one, I'd go with the Z51 option because so many talk about and want it. An yea, six speed is the only way to go. Now back to the SLK. I suggest you drive both, ponder, take your time and decide. I'm a life time Corvette lover. Still, I like the distinctive, unique, and classy look, one more time, distinctive, unique, and classy look of the SLK. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by -1-
I agree, the CorvetteForum is great. A lot of action, tons of information, post after post. Those Corvette lovers are super passionate about their vehicles. ... Still, I like the distinctive, unique, and classy look, one more time, distinctive, unique, and classy look of the SLK. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks! I agree about the look of the SLK.

Let me ask you one question. Do you feel "squished" horizontally in the SLK compared to the vette? The C6's roominess is a nice feature. I've driven the SLK and thought it was not a problem ... but that's the kind of thing you only figure out later.

Thx!

- Thinker
Old 03-29-2006, 10:25 PM
-1-

Thanks! I agree about the look of the SLK.

Let me ask you one question. Do you feel "squished" horizontally in the SLK compared to the vette? The C6's roominess is a nice feature. I've driven the SLK and thought it was not a problem ... but that's the kind of thing you only figure out later.

Thx!

- Thinker
No problem with being "squished" horizontally in the SLK. I doubt if there's much difference in actual room comparing a Corvette convertible and the SLK. I'm 5'9", if I was 6"2", I wonder? I'm sure one of our taller SLK owners can answer.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by -1-
I'm sure one of our taller SLK owners can answer.
6'3" here, and the SLK is just fine for me in either the driver or passenger seat. We just got it
last night, so not much road time under my belt yet... sure is a blast to drive
and very solid. I was suprised my head barely touches the top w/ the roof up. Must
be the dual power seats I have... the dealer tells me the manual seats don't adjust far enough for bigger drivers. YMMV....
Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jaxslk
6'3" here, and the SLK is just fine for me in either the driver or passenger seat. We just got it
last night, so not much road time under my belt yet... sure is a blast to drive
and very solid. I was suprised my head barely touches the top w/ the roof up. Must
be the dual power seats I have... the dealer tells me the manual seats don't adjust far enough for bigger drivers. YMMV....
How about the width? How's your left knee & your right elbow? Plenty of room? I'm not that tall, but I'm not small either. I'll be testing one of these things next week.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 PM

How about the width? How's your left knee & your right elbow? Plenty of room? I'm not that tall, but I'm not small either. I'll be testing one of these things next week.
Truthfully the left side is a tad tight, but it is roomier IMO than my friend's Boxster. Right side is no problem... easy to rest the arm across the center console. I can live with a little snugness on the left side... it really doesn't seem to bother me. We're planning a 1,200 mile trip in it come May, and after that I'll really know about fit/comfort in this little beauty.

-- Bob
Old 03-30-2006, 10:15 PM

2008 C300W4 Sport, 2006 Honda CBR600F4i
Slk

I am bout 6'/6'1 and I loved driving the SLK, it was real nice and I had a lot of room, the only thing I didn't really like was the controls were kinda hard to get used to if you never used it before. I say go with the SLK over the Corvette. get the 350.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by jaxslk
Truthfully the left side is a tad tight, but it is roomier IMO than my friend's Boxster. Right side is no problem... easy to rest the arm across the center console. I can live with a little snugness on the left side... it really doesn't seem to bother me. We're planning a 1,200 mile trip in it come May, and after that I'll really know about fit/comfort in this little beauty.

-- Bob
I'm a terrible pain in the neck on the left side. I drive with my knee "up" - almost 90 degrees straight. I foudn the Z4 to be unacceptably tight on that side. I'd thought the SLK was pretty good when I drove it last fall - but I need to drive it again now tha tit is buying time.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 AM

I'm a terrible pain in the neck on the left side. I drive with my knee "up" - almost 90 degrees straight. I foudn the Z4 to be unacceptably tight on that side. I'd thought the SLK was pretty good when I drove it last fall - but I need to drive it again now tha tit is buying time.
You should be OK in the SLK... I paid attention this morning on my drive and the left side
is really OK space-wise, even for someone my size. I find the window sill height nice
to rest my arm on as well... good fit overall.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:27 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Dude, get the SLK55. Its the same cost as a loaded C6 vert. Then you have the best of both worlds....C6 performance, open or hard top, distinctiveness, and superior build quality (although the C6 has made strides over the C5).

If you get the C6, its still a GREAT car. I guess it comes down to you wanting a vert or not, otherwise a C6 Coupe is less money than the 55 (or you could opt for the 350 & have less neck snapping performance than the C6, albeit better build quality + the hardtop/vert option).

See ya,
-Matt
Old 04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Dude, get the SLK55. Its the same cost as a loaded C6 vert. Then you have the best of both worlds....C6 performance, open or hard top, distinctiveness, and superior build quality (although the C6 has made strides over the C5).

If you get the C6, its still a GREAT car. I guess it comes down to you wanting a vert or not, otherwise a C6 Coupe is less money than the 55 (or you could opt for the 350 & have less neck snapping performance than the C6, albeit better build quality + the hardtop/vert option).

See ya,
-Matt
My qualm is about size. Is the SLK really too small?? Will it do better on crash tests than its predecessor. The C6 is roomier.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
carthinker,

Pull the trigger already. Haven't you been contemplating this for awhile? I recall reading your posts regarding safetly a long time ago. Were you in a bad accident or something?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
My qualm is about size. Is the SLK really too small?? Will it do better on crash tests than its predecessor. The C6 is roomier.
The 55 outweighs the C6 Coupe by 200 - 250 lbs (coupe or vert), has 6 airbags, and a hartop. The C6 Coupe has 2 airbags standard, 4 as an option. 4 airbags come with the C6 Vert.

So, the SLK is heavier (has a big V8 in the front just like the C6) and has superior airbag coverage (legs, thorax, and sides vs. only thorax & possibly sides for the C6). It also stops faster than the C6. I'm no DOT Safety Engineer, but it would appear to me that the SLK55 should be as safe, or safer, than the Vette.

PS - no need for nasty emoticons - this is a sharing of information - not an arguement. Hope this data helps you.

-Matt
Old 04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by dsb
carthinker,

Pull the trigger already. Haven't you been contemplating this for awhile? I recall reading your posts regarding safetly a long time ago. Were you in a bad accident or something?
Hi!! You've got a great memory! I was car shopping last August. By the time I drove everything it was September and decided to cool it until this spring.

I'm headed to the NYC car show and I'll buy something the following week.

Assuming that I don't see something at the car show, I'm thinking like this:

1. The C6 is a great car. I just don't know that I can deal w/the dealerships. I'm not crazy about the interior. And there's a "vette-thing".

2. The SLK was great to drive - but the overall size bothers me. However, the roof is fabulous. I like the exerior - but I like the vette size and exterior a little better. I'm going to drive it again!

3. If I decided I need 4 seats - then it is CLK 500 all the way. I haven't found a 4 seater that I like better.

This is a big improvement!! It's down from a gazillion cars last fall .

- Thinker
Old 04-05-2006, 11:52 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55

This is a big improvement!! It's down from a gazillion cars last fall .

- Thinker
Haha. I've been there. I can replace "cars" with a hundred others words and the statement would still apply. All three cars you've mentioned are great. Just don't wait too long. Otherwise you may have a new 'gazillion' models to choose from.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by dsb
Haha. I've been there. I can replace "cars" with a hundred others words and the statement would still apply. All three cars you've mentioned are great. Just don't wait too long. Otherwise you may have a new 'gazillion' models to choose from.

I agree!! There are a lot of things like this!! My mistake was not paying much attention to getting a car until late July / August last year. I'm off the NYC show. I'll pick something out then! Or I'll find something worth waiting for. However - obsessive over-thinker that I am - I think I know what I'll expect.

Drove by my MB Dealer today. My guy wasn't there and I didn't feel like the small talk that accompanies getting a new one. The CLK was next to the SLK. Both looked FABULOUS!

I've never owned a Benz before!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

I am one week into owning my first MB. I cant wipe the smile off my face. The SLK is a blast to drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: SLK versus c6 or CLK