SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: 350/55 SLK - Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK350
Originally Posted by Veroomer
I'm finally upgrading from my rice rocket (CRX SI '88)- yup bout time - to an SLK. I could have gone S2000 route because I love honda engines, however the service department at the dealers here suck - it's time to move a way from that brand. That other German brand's M roadster...nice but it's ugly with the top up. Anyway...

I drove both the 350 and 55 at my local dealer. Loved both. I'm not an automatic lover...I prefer manual . My MB dealer didn't have a manual on the lot for me to compare and said many MB owners prefer automatics and they rarely have sticks on the lot.

So if you are a 350 with manual tranny or if you upgraded from one to a 55 I would appreciate your throughts. For me it's not only about power, it's also about the joy of driving...okay power.

Thanks
I bought a 350 MT even though I test drove only 7Gs. I convinced myself I didn't like autos but now I am not so sure.

Only gears 3/4/5 are useful. 1/2 are too short. I don't find it particularly easy to use and have selected 5th instead of 3rd when in a rush.

I am still running my car in so am really driving in 'comfort mode'. Driving like this has now made me wish I got the auto. Of course I may change my mind once the car has broken in and I hit the twisty mountain roads with force.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
Originally Posted by mcat
I am still running my car in so am really driving in 'comfort mode'. Driving like this has now made me wish I got the auto. Of course I may change my mind once the car has broken in and I hit the twisty mountain roads with force.
Thanks mcat, keep me posted.... I am going at the end of the month to place and order...I have asked my MB dealer to call me when a 350 MT comes in for a test drive but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Even if it is one off a lease...I just want to feel the difference. I agree, you may have to take it on twisty road coarse/mountain road to be sure.

I may have to resort in running one off the road and begging for a ride - wait, I wouldn't be able to catch it.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 PM

987S
Thanks mcat, keep me posted.... I am going at the end of the month to place and order...I have asked my MB dealer to call me when a 350 MT comes in for a test drive but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Even if it is one off a lease...I just want to feel the difference. I agree, you may have to take it on twisty road coarse/mountain road to be sure.

I may have to resort in running one off the road and begging for a ride - wait, I wouldn't be able to catch it.
The stealer probably won't let you know even if he had a manual available...... when he sells you the auto (or the 55) he will be making more money than if he sold you the manual so he's not likely to be to bothered anout helping you try the stick?!?!?!? The same applies to Porsche dealers...... its nearly impossible to test drive a bog standard car because they will try and kid you that you need those expensive wheels, stereo and sports seats
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM

A happy customer will always come back...

Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
The stealer probably won't let you know even if he had a manual available...... when he sells you the auto (or the 55) he will be making more money than if he sold you the manual so he's not likely to be to bothered anout helping you try the stick?!?!?!? ...
There is only about 1G-profit difference between the two (350 MT/55) Invoice prices and an auto 350 about $100 profit vs MT. So between AT and MT money isn't a question in the dealers mind.

It's not likely the dealership has a large inventory of SLK's on the lot. Before my schedule test drive of both models I said I would prefer a 350 MT, their lot was open and free to browse, none available. Even after their follow-ups to see how I like the cars, I said let me know when a MT comes in and then I will be able to decide. They have an open house/test drive any MB this weekend…time for another browse and let them know I am serious.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM

See also : SLK 350 or SLK 55 thread

I have to say that the SLK 350 MT is a hell of lot of fun to drive

I finally found one to test drive this past weekend and I also had an old friend who has raced professional take it for a spin. We had a blast. I wondered if it had ample power...it does! Could I do without the power/aggressive looks of the 55, yes. Will I? In two weeks I will know. They are both great models...I have respect for the 350 owners who wanted an MT or the V8's power.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Decided and Order

I just order my first Mercedes yesterday.... after debating over the manual vs. auto for some time, I've made my decision…the SLK55 AMG. I went to my MB dealer only there to look at the car in pewter, since all I had left was to make a color choice for a manual 350. My sales rep wanted to take a Pewter 55 that just came in for a spin - then he handed me the key...the rest is history.

SLK55 AMG Pewter/Beige, Premium III, Airscarf.
The Bi-Xenon and Digital Climate Control I haven’t' decided...Bi-Xenon lights are cool looking so I might add to order. Any feed back on the Digital Climate Control? Is it worth $710? There's not much to add on at this level.

What sold me was the color...Pewter/black 07 SLK 55. Looks awwwwesome... sounds unbelievable. I wasn't crazy about the all black interior made the inside fell small...needed some contrast...I think beige with black is the right choice after seeing it in a Firemist version.

Dealer quoted me a $250 iPod install from manufacturer but he couldn't find it on the ordering screen. Dealer wants 800 to install. I think a freebie might be warranted since I got no discount.

I loved the 350 MT and would recommend it to anyone... I know I will miss a manny tranny, I hope manual mode will fulfill some of what I am use to.

I was also persuaded to change my choice by the crew who came with me. Their overall evaluation of this package was "exceptional." I agreed with them on all points...so it became a no brainer.

A comparable equipped 350 vs 55 ordered - 58,085 vs. $66,170. Not bad. Now the wait...October sometime.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350 (2006)
I have a SLK 350 7g auto. I like it a lot, but I would never buy a car with a manual transmission. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the auto performs quite differently between its C and S modes. And I think the 55 also has an M mode. But the S mode makes the 350 feel like an entirely different car. Also, the auto "learns" to change shift points as you drive.

So... When you get yours, be sure to run it in C for the break-in and then switch to S or M later.

Good luck. Any of the SLK models are GREAT cars. Congratulations!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:00 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Few notes...

Get the BiXenon's. They look cool, but more importantly work great. Lights up the road nicely plus at this level, it should be standard anyways.

Glad to see you are getting Airscarf.

$800 to install the Ipod is a rip off. Look around. I know there is a member, MBenzl, that will do it for a better price.

Lastly, I skipped on the Digital Climate control. However, it was a $1400 option at the time and included garage door opener and auto sensing wipers. I later bought the Digital Climate control online for $300. It's a simple plug in module. For $710, its not too bad. It does look cleaner and works a bit better than the dials.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:11 PM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Smile

Up yours Ynot !
The man has made the correct decision. Well done and congrats on that sexy, powerful, technological SLK55 !! You have made the correct decision.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
I just order my first Mercedes yesterday.... after debating over the manual vs. auto for some time, I've made my decision…the SLK55 AMG. I went to my MB dealer only there to look at the car in pewter, since all I had left was to make a color choice for a manual 350. My sales rep wanted to take a Pewter 55 that just came in for a spin - then he handed me the key...the rest is history.

SLK55 AMG Pewter/Beige, Premium III, Airscarf.
The Bi-Xenon and Digital Climate Control I haven’t' decided...Bi-Xenon lights are cool looking so I might add to order. Any feed back on the Digital Climate Control? Is it worth $710? There's not much to add on at this level.

What sold me was the color...Pewter/black 07 SLK 55. Looks awwwwesome... sounds unbelievable. I wasn't crazy about the all black interior made the inside fell small...needed some contrast...I think beige with black is the right choice after seeing it in a Firemist version.

Dealer quoted me a $250 iPod install from manufacturer but he couldn't find it on the ordering screen. Dealer wants 800 to install. I think a freebie might be warranted since I got no discount.

I loved the 350 MT and would recommend it to anyone... I know I will miss a manny tranny, I hope manual mode will fulfill some of what I am use to.

I was also persuaded to change my choice by the crew who came with me. Their overall evaluation of this package was "exceptional." I agreed with them on all points...so it became a no brainer.

A comparable equipped 350 vs 55 ordered - 58,085 vs. $66,170. Not bad. Now the wait...October sometime.
CONGRATULATIONS on the SLK 55, wise choice. You took you time, thought, compared, drove the 350 & 55. Solid decision. One suggestions, GET THE BI-XENONS. They're worth every cent and they're so classy looking. I agree with DSB, they should be standard on the SLK 55. You'll regret not getting them. Hang in there until October. Looking forward to some pics.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
good order

but definitely get the xenons. also the digital climate control isn't a big thing but it looks better. Your buying a 70K + car ... might as well have all the little goodies.

I'm surprised not more people are getting the 030 package. Its very nice. I particularly like the larger composite rotors, carbon fiber interior, performance steering wheel and suspension.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:34 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
but definitely get the xenons. also the digital climate control isn't a big thing but it looks better. Your buying a 70K + car ... might as well have all the little goodies.

I'm surprised not more people are getting the 030 package. Its very nice. I particularly like the larger composite rotors, carbon fiber interior, performance steering wheel and suspension.
Yeah, I would have but...

the wheels really turned me off. If they just simply had the new 19" off the black series, I would have done it for sure. I got to believe they weigh less than the 030 wheels. Actually, I would like the brakes, steering wheel, and CF interior from the 030. Then add the wheels & adjustable suspension from the Black series. That would make a greatly improved 030 package.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yup

at the same time for around $6,500 bucks you get

Performance steering wheel
carbon fiber trim interior -and after seeing the prices for that stuff
upgraded front brakes
upgraded suspension.

Take out the wheels and its still seems like a good deal.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
particularly like the larger composite rotors, carbon fiber interior, performance steering wheel and suspension.
I agree with you dsb, I like everything but the wheels, carbon fibre is a great compliment/accent to this roadster - MB should make this an option.

I will get the Bi-Xenon on my order tomorrow, and try to get them to throw in the CCM. MBshould only have the Performance Pkg. as an option for the 55...everything else, included.

Thanks to all here, I glad I join this and other forums. You guys have definitely helped along my decision making process. I hope to do the same for others like me - a green SLK newbie.

What do you all think of the Pewter exterior combined with Beige and black interior? I haven't seen any in the forums...

I'll post pics as soon as my ride comes in...thx
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

color

Color is definitely a big personal preference.

I am not a fan of the pewter color on the SLK. Sorry

my preferences are :
Silver
White
Black
Blue
Pewter

I absolutely love Black but it such a high maintenance color ... Of course a Pewter SLK55 is probably going to be pretty rare ... so that is a plus!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Glad to see you decided on the BiXenon's.

I have yet to see a Pewter SLK. I think your car will be very unique especially with the interior. I can tell you, I like the black/ash interior. Of course, I'm biased. I just think the contrast looks sporty vs all black interior.

So, not sure about pewter but who cares what I think. It's your ride and the fact that its a 55 says you've got great taste anyways.

Now, enjoy waiting those LLLOOONNNNGGGG 2-3 months. Man, that is way out there. I'll tell ya, the wait makes it that much more special when you take delivery.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:08 PM
-1-

I agree with you dsb, I like everything but the wheels, carbon fibre is a great compliment/accent to this roadster - MB should make this an option.
The 030 package is a great addition to the SLK 55. It take it to the final level. But cost for most IS a factor. Personally, I'd find it hard to justify the cost, I could easily live without it.
I will get the Bi-Xenon on my order tomorrow, and try to get them to throw in the CCM. MB should only have the Performance Pkg. as an option for the 55...everything else, included.
Smart move on the Bi-Xenons, I love them.
What do you all think of the Pewter exterior combined with Beige and black interior? I haven't seen any in the forums...
I think the pewter is a beautiful color. I'm partial to the Iridium Silver now, but my next SLK, I'm sure I'll choose another color. Which color? I also love the red leather interior and I would choose the black and red interior. I think it would be a great combination with the pewter. Black and Ash is a much better choice than plain solid black. I can say that because that's what I have. The two tone black and ash will look classy with the pewter. Great choice!

Last edited by -1-; 08-06-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
The Bi-xenons are standard equipment here in the UK on the SLK55.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:47 AM
-1-

Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
The Bi-xenons are standard equipment here in the UK on the SLK55.
Most cars sold in the USA offer them as an option. Very few include them as standard. The few that come to mind: Nissan Maxima, Nissan 350, Honda 2000, most Lexus. The SLK 55 should have them standard in the USA.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by -1-
The 030 package is a great addition to the SLK 55. It take it to the final level. But cost for most IS a factor. Personally, I'd find it hard to justify the cost, I could easily live without it.
Carbon Fiber trim as an option would be noice...I'll put on my own 19s when time comes...

Originally Posted by -2-
I think the pewter is a beautiful color. I'm partial to the Iridium Silver now, but my next SLK, I'm sure I'll choose another color. Which color? I also love the red leather interior and I would choose the black and red interior. I think it would be a great combination with the pewter. Black and Ash is a much better choice than plain solid black. I can say that because that's what I have. The two tone black and ash will look classy with the pewter. Great choice!
I love the Iridium Silver, but it seems to be one of the popular colors...I like the Pewter as my second choice, not many of them around here. I would have got the Ash/Black with Iridium as well. Do you think the warm tone of the Pewter and the cool tone of the ash go? Red/Black would work better with pewter, I agree.... I've always liked the way 2 tone seats look - I based my choice on Firemist Red on the lot with the beige interior...that looked smart.

I just email my dealer to put on the Bi-Xenon...let see if he is generous and throws in the DCC module and iPod. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Congrats Veroomer on your new SLK55, Pewter is rare but not for everyone. Pewter and ash doesn't really match, black interior is a little dull but will match better. Did you know SLK55 is part of the European Delivery now? I would highly recommend that, it's fun, the 7% discount + $775 destination charge will pay for the trip.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ynot
Congrats Veroomer on your new SLK55, Pewter is rare but not for everyone. Pewter and ash doesn't really match, black interior is a little dull but will match better. Did you know SLK55 is part of the European Delivery now? I would highly recommend that, it's fun, the 7% discount + $775 destination charge will pay for the trip.

Thx, can't wait. Pewter looks better on the AMG version - my girlfriend didn't like on the 350. I think she fell more for the aggressive look of the car, I think I did too. The black interior was a bit boring and is probably the only color that works...right now beige is on order - Storm Red and beige, that's a sharp combo. My choices are limited. Black/Red, Beige, Black, Red - no Black and Beige combo . I agree on the Ash, not one of the choices for this color. Car is scheduled for a first week September production. So I have time to make changes. I added the Bi-Xenons the other day. I asked them the throw in the Digital CC module and ipod...haven't hear from dealer on that...

What is your thoughts for a Pewter interior aside from black? So,so...don't do it man! What as that guy thinking....
I've been looking on all the different forums picture threads for combos but there aren't many Pewters out there. I have to check with last years catalog as well, the beige in 07 book looks darker/not as creamy as what I have seen in photos and on the model at the dealer. Catalog could be way off. This is like the MT vs AT.. .what to do.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Thx, can't wait. Pewter looks better on the AMG version - my girlfriend didn't like on the 350. I think she fell more for the aggressive look of the car, I think I did too. The black interior was a bit boring and is probably the only color that works...right now beige is on order - Storm Red and beige, that's a sharp combo. My choices are limited. Black/Red, Beige, Black, Red - no Black and Beige combo . I agree on the Ash, not one of the choices for this color. Car is scheduled for a first week September production. So I have time to make changes. I added the Bi-Xenons the other day. I asked them the throw in the Digital CC module and ipod...haven't hear from dealer on that...

What is your thoughts for a Pewter interior aside from black? So,so...don't do it man! What as that guy thinking....
I've been looking on all the different forums picture threads for combos but there aren't many Pewters out there. I have to check with last years catalog as well, the beige in 07 book looks darker/not as creamy as what I have seen in photos and on the model at the dealer. Catalog could be way off. This is like the MT vs AT.. .what to do.
I haven't seen pewter in a SLK55 but for the SLK350, it didn't look too good. It just always look dirty. I saw one parked at a restaurant in vegas and thought the car needed a wash, as I approached, the car wasn't spotless but isn't that dirty either but has that never been washed look. I didn't like it after that. Beige is a nice color, that was the interior color that I wanted. I knew I wanted a two tone interior but after seeing a few interior pics of ash, I didn't to get it. Silver and beige isn't a combo that you can have w/o an extra charge. Pewter and black would be my choice.

Pewter interior, never seen it, no comment but that would be too uniform. Pewter interior and pewter exterior, doesn't sound like a nice combo. Good luck on your decission, let us know what you decide.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:23 PM
-1-

V- I believe I have a picture of a SLK 350 AMG in pewter. If so I'll post this evening when I'm home. As I remember it looks great.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by -1-
V- I believe I have a picture of a SLK 350 AMG in pewter. If so I'll post this evening when I'm home. As I remember it looks great.

If I attached files right, you will see a color conversion I did in photoshop of Beleriand's Red Brabus Modified 2006 SLK55 AMG to a Pewter one.

I think this looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails 350/55 SLK  - Manual vs Auto-b5534.jpg   350/55 SLK  - Manual vs Auto-pewterb5534.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: 350/55 SLK - Manual vs Auto