SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK 350 MT underpowered or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Originally Posted by Ynot
He owns a porsche, he's saving up for an AM.
You just post **** for the sake of getting your post count up. Go away .
Old 07-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK350
Been driving SLK350 MT for a year now. The car has plenty of power, but the gear ratios are a big let down. The 1st and 2nd gears are just too short. I usually have to shift to 3rd before the car really picks up speed. Chevy Suburbans beat me through intersections from standstill, but of course once I get into 3rd, everyone else is in the rear view mirror. So most of time I start in 2nd. The large gap between 1st and 2nd also makes shifting jerky. On the other hand, the short gear ratios make it a snap to drive in hilly terrain. Car doesn't even roll backward in SF with no gas! So good and bad I guess, there's definitely enough power once you get past the first 2 gears.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:52 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by WBear
Been driving SLK350 MT for a year now. The car has plenty of power, but the gear ratios are a big let down. The 1st and 2nd gears are just too short. I usually have to shift to 3rd before the car really picks up speed. Chevy Suburbans beat me through intersections from standstill, but of course once I get into 3rd, everyone else is in the rear view mirror. So most of time I start in 2nd. The large gap between 1st and 2nd also makes shifting jerky. On the other hand, the short gear ratios make it a snap to drive in hilly terrain. Car doesn't even roll backward in SF with no gas! So good and bad I guess, there's definitely enough power once you get past the first 2 gears.
I agree with what you're saying. I do prefer the six speed. I don't drive the SLK enough and often. I also use second gear to start off. First gear is too close to second (ratio). Second works fine. Most of the time, I use only four gears, getting to sixth gear as quick as possible. If I drove the car more (it's my wife's), it might be different. Personally, I don't see the need for a six speed. However, I can use them all, or just some of the gears. The same is true with my other five speeds. I do use first gear in those, but I normally (always) skip fourth gear.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 AM

So much easier with a 7 speed, you can just push the gas pedal. The 7 speed is quicker too.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
So much easier with a 7 speed, you can just push the gas pedal. The 7 speed is quicker too.
Can't dispute that, I agree 100%.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 AM

987S
Look here peasant, you don;t drive one so WTF do you know. Just button it and keep saving for your imaginary Porsche
Just my opinion. Didn't expect everyone to agree.

I drove one of the first 350s (in fact posted a review of it here before most of you guys got hold of one) and one of the first 55AMGs in the UK...... I didn't like the 7G...... others will...... simple really.

I'll take you for a ride in the imaginary Porsche when you next pop over to London...... don't leave it too long or you'll have to make do with the Aston.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM

I've driven the Cayman and a 911, for that matter a Vanquish, but it doesn't make me qualified to spout off about them all the time as I do not have enough EXPERIENCE. So I don't ......I just wish you wouldn't either.
When you get your Aston "Ford" I hope you enjoy it
Old 08-01-2006, 05:25 AM

987S
I've driven the Cayman and a 911, for that matter a Vanquish, but it doesn't make me qualified to spout off about them all the time as I do not have enough EXPERIENCE. So I don't ......I just wish you wouldn't either.
When you get your Aston "Ford" I hope you enjoy it
Wish away matey..... if you've driven a car you are qualified to have an opinion about it...... if you don't want to share your views on other cars you can keep your mouth shut and if you don't want my opinion you can ignore it

I've been an active member of this forum for several years more than you so what gives you the right to come along and tell me to shut up ?

And we were getting on so well a while ago...... you even agreed with me and said you'd rather have had a manual gearbox in the 55 rather than the 7G which was exactly one of the points I was trying to make :

Quote:
================================================== ======
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I can offer a view as somebody that doesn't have either a 350 or 55...... I had a 55 on order but cancelled after eventually getting hold of a loan car (5 days worth of testing)....... the power of the AMG is very impressive but the 7G auto killed the fun for me, don't get me wrong its the best auto box I've every driven but coming from an S2000 it was too much of a step back in terms of driver enjoyment. I tried the 350 with manual and almost went for one but then tried the new Boxster S and found it offered the enjoyment and handling that I wanted. In a straight line the AMG will always walk away from me but in the twisties where I get most of my kicks the Boxster S is better IHMO.

Quote: Easy-SLK

I can't disagree with your sentiments on the new Boxster, it is a fine car. AS a previous owner of an S2000 we have both enjoyed the best manual gearbox on the planet, tho the engine was lacking in torque (Who cares it felt and sounded great)
I'm in the UK where the norm is a manual gearbox, if given the choice I would have taken a manual AMG, but must reiterate that I find the 7G suitable for every circumstance (other than blipping the throttle whilst passing girls !!)

================================================== ========

P.S. What did you think of the Vanquish?

Last edited by SLK55AMG; 08-01-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Can we all just get along? Come on you feisty Brits! This is getting so OT, it's annoying. Go PM each other if you want to duel egos.

Bottom line, the SLK350 6MT is underpowered for sports car enthusiasts who are used to higher powered coupes, and amply powered for those who haven't driven anything with a hair over 250hp.