Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
Ynot, you are such a jealous ****
Confucius say, "Ignored a troll and they will go away."

I say, "Confucius is a wise man."
Old 07-08-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Originally Posted by Ynot

I love taking it up the mountains thru the twisties, trying to master the heel and toe (not recommended).
Heel and Toe is second nature in the UK where a manual gearbox is not a novelty. We can all drive properly here in the UK, having learnt in manual cars, so its nice for us to have an auto sometimes, especially a quality 7 speed.
I don't live my life in 1/4 mile sprints, christ, unlike you I actually USE my car, I do 3000 miles a month in mine.
Now go and fantasise what life would be like with a V8 (with all the extras of course)
Silly little man.....
Old 07-09-2006, 03:31 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
Originally Posted by -1-
This is me , this is me driving my SLK 6MT, this is me after driving my SLK 6MT. The short version of this story: += , the result is a BIG . The world needs more

Well iconed -1-.
I found two dealers here on LI with MTs on their lots, one guy has 3 new ones the other has an 05. It's an hour and a half trip to the new ones in the Hamptons...not really a good place to test drive, especially in the summer, the other is an hour. Next week I will have my answer.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by Veroomer
Well iconed -1-.
I found two dealers here on LI with MTs on their lots, one guy has 3 new ones the other has an 05. It's an hour and a half trip to the new ones in the Hamptons...not really a good place to test drive, especially in the summer, the other is an hour. Next week I will have my answer.
Veroomer - At least you found some MT SLKs. An hour, hour and a half drive is well worth the effort. I'd like your thoughts MT vs auto, pro and con. Then, your decision. It will be interesting. I haven't driven an auto. I might have to cross that bridge in a year . Only two automatic vehicles in my life. One was auto only, so I didn't have a choice. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Almost a Member!

MB SLK 350 with pathetic amg parts
I had the same problem deciding between

a CLK350 fully optioned
SLK350 fully optioned
or a SLK55AMG partially optioned.

I didn't test drive any of these cars.

I test drove a stock SLK 280...

And I loved it!!!!!

At first I was like...wtf....this is a really boring unoptioned interior...

then I realised that this is not what the SLK engineers wanted to do...they wanted the emphasis of driving be placed upon its driving dynamics...and indeed it was...and I was thinking...if this is how good an SLK280 can be, even un-optioned...so I calculated: imagine given the stats of the accelleration performance between the SLK350 and the SLK55AMG ...you could in fact make the SLK350 perform good as if not better than a SLK55AMG...

I do quantum physics/mechanics as my main field of research so I'm used to calculating speeds of atoms and objects and how to increase the performance of such a beast.

I ordered immediately the slk350. But decided to option it with many things minus air scarf, remove heated seats and air scarf components to reduce weight. Saves you $$$, didn't buy things like automatic control, but still ordered wood steering wheel for the heck of it. got premium sound system options, nappa leather and many more goodies, ... and for the performance I've got amg sports suspension-lowered, amg wheels, amg body kit, parameter steering, semi-pro racing tires.

Normally a stock slk 350 does 0-100km/h(0-62mph) in around 5.6seconds, mercedes claim 5.4seconds but I'll leave it at 5.6 seconds to account for any random friction.

A SLK55AMG does 0-100km/h at 4.9seconds.

A SLK350 as modified close to the AMG spec, you can get as I calculated by reducing the weight of several items additionally lowering the car, bigger wheels, more gripping tires...

you can get 0-100 in around 5.1-5.2 seconds.

Around a track even 0.1 second is crucial...but bear in mind, the SLK55AMG can only beat the SLK350 even stock if it is in a straight line. Additionally the SLK350 engine is many kg's lighter...so given the fact that this lighter front engine bias will allow you more room to take into corners and accellerate much faster out of is an added bonus.

We can't deny the fact that the SLK55AMG has more power on paper. Sure you can feel it on the straight, but in the corners, you'll feel it's added disadvantage.

SLK350 all the way.

Some times they say, don't think...but FEEL!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:06 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
quaidorsay,

Congrats on the slk350. It is a great car. Is it ever cold where you live? If it is, I highly recommend the heated seats and Airscarf. It's a great feature, far from a gimmick.

Quick note: As others will most likely point out, the AMG does 0-60 well below 4.9. Figures are somewhere between 4.3-4.5 depending on which magazine you read. I have seen some look into performance upgrades for the 350 to make it rival the 55. However, the cost is huge. If someone, including yourself, really wants more performance, they should just start with the 55. In addition to the performance upgrades, you get other features that are options on the 280/350.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Rofl

Originally Posted by quaidorsay
you could in fact make the SLK350 perform good as if not better than a SLK55AMG...
If you honestly think that by just not ordering all of the options on the SLK350 will make it outperform an SLK55 ... your smoking something really good!

Take your unoptioned SLK350 to a track and get some timeslips. I'd be really interested if it could even come close to challenging a stock SLK55 with options. Lets not even just compare the 1/4 times ... lets look at track times. I guess you just conveniently forgot all the modifications that go into the suspension for an AMG vehicle. *just noticed your AMG-tuned even your AMG suspension is not the same as the ones in the SLK55 or SLK55 030. * Not to mention the better brake system. OH YEAH lets not forget that AMG also uses LIGHTER performance products over stock. (example compound rotors)

I know some people will want to justify getting a 350 over a 55 ... but this reasoning is just silly.

The people that say a manual over auto I can at least understand.
One last point.
If your into modifying your car ... the base SLK55 has much more potential than the SLK350.

Last edited by SLK55R; 07-14-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks DSB, I just like the balance of the slk350. Here in sydney, it can get hot, and rarely is cold. Although it is winter now it's no big deal with global warming. For me, I guess one cannot deny the sheer power of the SLK55AMG over the SLK350. But then one must not assume that power is all you need.

Jesse you've got a good point, the SLK55amg has much better suspension setup and braking setup than a stock SLK350, but please not forget that the reason why the slk55amg requires bigger brakes is purely because of the extra power output and extra weight of the 55 engine.

I don't doubt that the 55amg is more superior in components as to the slk350 but I believe in the beauty of balance and I'm sure the lightened SLK350 can give the 55 a run for its money. Like I did say, the SLK55 will cane the 350 in a straight line, 1/4 mile. But on a track...that's a different story.

Don't feel that your ownership of a 55amg maybe outdone by an SLK350 on a lonely street some day. But the thought of it possibly manifesting is quite threatening is it not?!

Mind over matter.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 AM

NA
Jesse you've got a good point, the SLK55amg has much better suspension setup and braking setup than a stock SLK350, but please not forget that the reason why the slk55amg requires bigger brakes is purely because of the extra power output and extra weight of the 55 engine.
This statement is bunk. The truth is the difference in weight between a V6 and a V8 is minimal. Also larger brakes are not because the car cannot stop -- larger brakes are so the standard car can stop better! If it were true that car manufacturers base their brake rotor size on need, Porsche 911's for example would not have the pizza sized rotors like they do.

I do quantum physics/mechanics as my main field of research so I'm used to calculating speeds of atoms and objects and how to increase the performance of such a beast.
This is funny, I do not see a correlation between the study of quantum physics and the modification of cars!

Last edited by AcesHigh; 07-15-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Well aces, you're comparing the way mercedes benz engineers designs cars in contrast to porsche.

Obviously Porsche is built on the tradition of performance racing vehicles.

For mercedes benz they have a an amg division but still they cannot compete with Porsche. I don't see how you can really draw comparison.

It's a no brainer. You pay extra for more performance.

Aces wrote: "Larger brakes are not because the car cannot stop -- larger brakes are so the standard car can stop better! If it were true that car manufacturers base their brake rotor size on need,"

Well ok, question, why don't SLK200's get better brakes?! So they can stop better?! Well if they could stop better than why not put these 'larger brakes' on all cars?! Because simply it's not financially feasible. And Yes it is true, 'manufacturers base their brake rotor size on need'. Sure, they do tweak it slightly but they'd only do enough to compete with a competitor...and mercedes' main competitors are bmw, audi, lexus etc.

Applied sciences actually being applied?! So you think that performance modification was the brain child of some kid behind a controller of a playstation II? hardly so.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:14 PM

06 SLK350 AMG SPORT PACKAGE
Slk350

I recently bought SLK350 with AMG options along with a few other options, which comes up to about $60K. I have also tested SLK55. Depends on what you want to do with your car. But SLK55 is definitely a better car in terms of handling and acceleration. I bought the SLK350 with Sport Package for one reason only, the manual transmission. I cannot stand the idea of driving a sports that's not a stick-shift. If money is not a matter, you like performance and don't like a stick shift. SLK 55 is a better option
Old 07-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Almost a Member!

here here... I sometimes did wish I got the slk55amg, but I know not insurance would cover me for it even though it could be said the prices of my optioned vehicle is close to the base slk55amg price.

I am only 23 years old so anyone who seems offended by my bravado here please forgive me. I'm an idiot (with a right foot made out of lead).
Old 07-15-2006, 12:17 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Err, MB was racing & winning races all over the planet before Porsche was a "thought". Further, MB has been competing in Formula 1 (the highest racing format on the planet) for decades. Where is Porsche? Not to be found pal.

MB not only competes in F1, but other formats as well. DTM CLK? You need to learn your racing history, read up on the Silver Arrows, drivers like Fangio, Sterling Moss, Phil Hill, & Mika Hakinen (for some more recent F1 success) before trying to discuss Mercedes Benz's racing heritage.

Your knowledge of brakes is puzzling? MB didn't put larger brakes on the SLK200 because its at the lowest end of the SLK line (the same reason why AMG versions of MB vehicles have larger brakes.....to dissipate heat more rapidly & resist brake fade in extreme conditions (ie a track - they are basicly racing calipers/rotors/compound). The SLK 200 is not meant for track applications. The SLK55? Yes indeed.

-Matt

Well aces, you're comparing the way mercedes benz engineers designs cars in contrast to porsche.

Obviously Porsche is built on the tradition of performance racing vehicles.

For mercedes benz they have a an amg division but still they cannot compete with Porsche. I don't see how you can really draw comparison.

It's a no brainer. You pay extra for more performance.

Aces wrote: "Larger brakes are not because the car cannot stop -- larger brakes are so the standard car can stop better! If it were true that car manufacturers base their brake rotor size on need,"

Well ok, question, why don't SLK200's get better brakes?! So they can stop better?! Well if they could stop better than why not put these 'larger brakes' on all cars?! Because simply it's not financially feasible. And Yes it is true, 'manufacturers base their brake rotor size on need'. Sure, they do tweak it slightly but they'd only do enough to compete with a competitor...and mercedes' main competitors are bmw, audi, lexus etc.

Applied sciences actually being applied?! So you think that performance modification was the brain child of some kid behind a controller of a playstation II? hardly so.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
quaidorsay

but please not forget that the reason why the slk55amg requires bigger brakes is purely because of the extra power output and extra weight of the 55 engine.
Hardly just because the car has more power or weight ... on a track fade is huge issue. These larger rotors and calipers are also to help with fade resistance.

But on a track...that's a different story.
I'd be curious as to where you get this information. Have you seen a SLK350 run against a SLK55 on a track? Actually have you ever driven a SLK55?

Don't feel that your ownership of a 55amg maybe outdone by an SLK350 on a lonely street some day. But the thought of it possibly manifesting is quite threatening is it not?!
no it isnt threatening ... trust me it isn't
Old 07-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Like I said, I'm an idiot. I don't know much about racing history. I just know about the past 20 year since I was born.

nope I haven't ridden in a slk55amg. I would want to but I'm afraid of travelling in hyperspace.

Then again, I hope I haven't made a big mistake buying just a slk350.

I don't plan on racing anyone on the track. But maybe just a short accelleration on the road...because I'm quite timid...I just need enough power to run away from crazy felons.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Besides the difference in cost, a factor that should be considered is where you live. Can you really use the extra performance of the SLK 55? I live in a suburb of Chicago and even though I could have easily afforded the 55, I bought a 350 because all of the roads around here are flat (except for lots of pot holes) and there is lots of traffic to contend with. I rarely have an opportunity to push my 350 so for me the choice was easy.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
The SLK 200 is not meant for track applications. The SLK55? Yes indeed.

-Matt
Ha ha.....
Old 07-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Duo-Art
Besides the difference in cost, a factor that should be considered is where you live. Can you really use the extra performance of the SLK 55? I live in a suburb of Chicago and even though I could have easily afforded the 55, I bought a 350 because all of the roads around here are flat (except for lots of pot holes) and there is lots of traffic to contend with. I rarely have an opportunity to push my 350 so for me the choice was easy.
Duo, that was part reason why I didn't choose the SLK55AMG too.

I just thought about the fact that I live in Sydney and our roads are way too smaller...even much smaller than American roads and we have less highways...our roads are atrocious compared to yours.

When I was in Houston a year ago I realised how well structured your highways/Freeways were. We don't have those in great numbers in Sydney as you folks do.

So I just thought best balance is with SlK350.

Do you regret getting the SLK350 but?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:33 AM

quaidorsay, I've never regreted buying the SLK 350. It serves my needs very well. My wife and I have been to Sydney. I know what you mean about your roads being smaller than ours. Sydney is a wonderful city.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Finally the 350 MT test drive

First, my first dealer's sales rep is an ***. I gave them the courtesy to find another local dealer to see if they could set up a test drive of a MT SLK. I had found a few doing the dealer search on MB site. No response. I had my appointment yesterday with the dealer about 15 mins from my local one, that's right just another 15 mins. I also found out the same family owns both. They were shocked, of course that they were never contacted - I think I'm going to get a good deal now.

Anyway...Ynot, -1- and all you MT lovers this car has the power! and it was a fun driving experience. The 350 MT needs to be given more respect here. I went back today with a former racecar driver for a second opinion. I had the sales guy with me on my drive...this time it was Tony and I. First he was in the mindset the more power the better. Of course, dah. But he showed me that this car has ***** anyway. On take off and on winding roads, he was scaring the crap out of me on the back roads. Of course I wouldn't drive like this everyday but this definitely convinced me the 350 MT has ample power to have a great time in. His verdic, this car is fun and fast..."can wait to drive the 55." Needless to say he was very impress with that as well.

07 prices are a hair bit higher and the options packages have changed. Preminum packages have 3 levels. Base price is around 47k pluse about 10.9k for a fully loaded one. If your mind set is always fast off the block or who can I beat today....I think I'd can say go with the 55. If you love an MT the 350 will be a very satifying ride with excellent power and handling, IMO and Tony's.

For you AT buyers MB offers optional padels in place on the buttons on the steering wheel. Looks nice...$200 option.

Now I have to make my final decision????...I'll post that at the end of the month when the new 07's hit the show room.

I have enjoy all the posting on this topic for or against...MO both cars get the thumbs up and my respect.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Awesome Veroomer, let us know what you decide? It'll be more fun, if you turn everything off, esp, traction, etc, and put it in the dyno and let the back kick out. Whatever you decide, you are not going to regret.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=Ynot...Whatever you decide, you are not going to regret. [/QUOTE]

I believe you are right about no regrets...I can have so much fun with the manny now that I got the feel/taste of the 350 ablities. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:25 AM

1990 560 SEC (modified), SLK55, CLK500
I think the only reason to get the slk350 is if you simply need to have a manual...i test drove the slk350 amg package which fit perfectly in my budget which was fun and i was pretty much sold on it, but just for kicks i test drove the slk55 and decided to forego lunches for a couple years so i can fit the slk55 into my budget. i was thinking about skipping breakfast to get the 030 package, but they told me i couldn't get one in the colours i wanted for another 3 months, and i got a reasonable deal anyway...so i got my car. i've pushed my car pretty hard and the car has finally passed the break in period so i'll be going to the track and finding out at what point do the AMG brakes start to fade. personally i found the slk55s upgraded wheels, brakes, and suspension easily overcome the increased weight, in terms of handling.

i decided i'd be happier with an auto anyway, a manual car with the traffic in daytime conditions around Los Angeles would turn the SLK into a toy (or a great forearm/patience workout).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 AM

2005 SLK350
i agree with the manual tranny argument a lot of you people have put up. i bought a SL55 my sophmore year in college (from marcus @ House of Imports on these forums actually lol... mine must have been the first sl55 in hawaii and definitely the youngest owner :P). yes, the car is a head turner and it is FAST, but the auto transmission is a turn off for me (along with bleh handling and brake feedback). Yeah, you can put it in manual mode, but to me, no clutch = no fun, especially for a car i bought to have fun in (although having the option to fit two med sized golf bags in the trunk was a definite plus)

to clarify, i didn't sell the sl55 for the slk350 mt (no way in hell that's happening haha). i sold the sl55 to free up some money for real estate and stocks, and was not even expecting to buy another car in hawaii (i don't spend much time there). but when i was home during xmas break my junior year, i walked into my local dealership and saw a brand new slk350 mt with most of the options i would have ordered (esp amg and heated seats... those warm seats feel so #@$%ing great driving with the top down in the sun after a day of surfing... yes, sometimes i take my car to the beach and make my friends bring my board in their truck ) and bought it on the spot.

my only reason for buying (as i am home only like 3 months at the most per year) it was the manual transmission. it is a blast to drive. okay, it's not as good as the bmw m transmission, but it's still pretty good. i don't go out of my way to race people on the streets, so the only encounters i had was with an x5 and clk500 w/ amg, which ended up with them in my rear view mirror.

i have never driven a slk55, but i have decided to not get another amg convertible/coupe until a manual transmission is an option (which will be NEVER). i test drove the z4m 6sp and while it felt better around corners than the slk350... i was not impressed enough to upgrade. i've been looking at the 6 series for a possible upgrade (now that i have some cash availabe again), but the fact that m6 will only offer smg is a turn off for me.

again, yes slk55 is gonna be the better performer, and i'm sure the 7g is awesome, but c'mon... auto???

Last edited by evanichka; 07-31-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 AM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Stick to your Jetta untill you're older and finished making door locks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: slk 350 or slk 55