SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Retrofit Comand or change car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350
Retrofit Comand or change car?

Hi everyone,

I have a question to pose to the SLK owners out there. My SLK 350 does not have Comand, and I am thinking that I want to get it installed. I have a late 04 which I didn't factory order (my dealer had one pre-ordered and it has most options including airscarf, phone, Parktronic etc) which has just over 20,000 miles on it now. I think the cost of moving into another car with Comand is going to be around £3000-4000, which will be an 05 with maybe 15,000 miles on it. Steve at mBenzNL fitted Comand into my old W203 wagon, but that was much cheaper than the cost of R171 Comand.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there any point in changing the car just to get Comand rather than keeping the one that I know about (i.e. it has been mine since new)

2. Are there differences in the spec of new Euro Comand and the unit that I would have had from factory?

3. Is it worth getting Comand without NAV? Most people on the other forums slate the Comand Nav... I want to add the iPod kit etc and with the Audio20 there are less options than if I have Comand...

4. Has anyone had the R171 Comand retrofitted? Any comments on this? My MB dealer said they can retrofit for £2500 with DVD Nav, but I am sceptical as this is quite a bit cheaper than mBenzNL (they said someone from Belgium does it??)...

I am happy with my car as it has been pretty reliable so far (minor niggles aside the quality seems better than the last few MB cars I have owned) so I am swayed to keeping it, but if I am losing out by retrofitting then I would consider moving to another car.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM

If it were me, I'd definitely keep the car that I bought new. And either retrofit or do without and just add it to your next car.

But that's just me, I don't generally buy used cars. It costs a lot more to buy a car new (at least here in the US) and for that price you get a car that is totally yours and you know exactly where it's been and how it's been maintained, etc. Having paid that price, I wouldn't trade that away just for another gadget or feature.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:07 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK230K & SLK350
The cost is less than you think about £1500 I have heard of around £1000 but do not know if thats a genuine price, try Alfie over at mbclub.co.uk search comand.

gary
Old 01-23-2007, 05:28 PM

SLK 350
i had comand retrofitted fitted for £3000 and it was outsourced by my dealer. braybrooks quoted me £2,400 plus VAT at the time, but the dealer just added it to my finance.

Nav works fine 9/10 times as can be expected. definitely get NAV with comand.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Hey, check out this link on another forum. You might consider an aftermarket radio like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 that has GPS NAV, add-on Bluetooth module, etc. A Metra dash kit is now available for the R171 SLK. This is just another option in addition to retrofitting the factory Command NAV system. Good luck!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...h-install.html
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by fleep
Hi everyone,

I have a question to pose to the SLK owners out there. My SLK 350 does not have Comand, and I am thinking that I want to get it installed. I have a late 04 which I didn't factory order (my dealer had one pre-ordered and it has most options including airscarf, phone, Parktronic etc) which has just over 20,000 miles on it now. I think the cost of moving into another car with Comand is going to be around £3000-4000, which will be an 05 with maybe 15,000 miles on it. Steve at mBenzNL fitted Comand into my old W203 wagon, but that was much cheaper than the cost of R171 Comand.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there any point in changing the car just to get Comand rather than keeping the one that I know about (i.e. it has been mine since new)

2. Are there differences in the spec of new Euro Comand and the unit that I would have had from factory?

3. Is it worth getting Comand without NAV? Most people on the other forums slate the Comand Nav... I want to add the iPod kit etc and with the Audio20 there are less options than if I have Comand...

4. Has anyone had the R171 Comand retrofitted? Any comments on this? My MB dealer said they can retrofit for £2500 with DVD Nav, but I am sceptical as this is quite a bit cheaper than mBenzNL (they said someone from Belgium does it??)...

I am happy with my car as it has been pretty reliable so far (minor niggles aside the quality seems better than the last few MB cars I have owned) so I am swayed to keeping it, but if I am losing out by retrofitting then I would consider moving to another car.

Thanks!
I have done several Euro spec SLK like yours and I can say that you want to be careful when you select the installer. It can be done, it is worth doing and I think it can also be done with Harmon Kardon if you want a bundle.

What I am saying is that everyone who got it done was very happy to do so but you want to select your bundles to see what is the best package.

Take a look at this photo summary ... similar car to yours.

BEFORE

DURING

ANOTHER CAR

This car had radio ......

Then it had a the audio gateway installed

iPOD kit under airbag / above glovebox (notice the cables on the crossbar)

And then the COMAND installed all for the love of music ....

This only applies to EURO SPEC.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Obviously labor intensive not to mention the dismantling of your car. In my opinion, not worth the effort and expense.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:58 PM

SLK 350
Thanks for the pictures of a dismembered SLK. I think I would rather not see my car in that many pieces, although I now understand why it is big money. I have had a quote from Steve at MbenzNL, although it means a trip to Holland to get the install done. I tried some UK dealers but the prices they give are all over the place and I am worried about getting ripped off or them damaging the car in the process of dismantling it. £3000 does seem about the going rate for Comand with NAV and audio gateway etc. One advantage of the NL route is that I have the option of getting a W211 Comand with AUX video (the face is swapped and the unit programmed to act like an R171 unit), which is not something MB offer. The only other consideration is warranty, as my dealer will give a 3 year cover on all parts, Steve is 12 months...

The aftermarket options are somewhat intrusive as well, and the Pioneer AVIC isn't exactly cheap either, and then I lose phone integration. It is also somewhat questionable in appearance compared to the Comand. The only mods I would think about would be replacing the speakers with something decent like Dynaudio and adding a small, discreet sub and amp in order to improve the sound quality. The cost of this is similar to going for Harmon Kardon Audio, but I think (having not heard the HK system) that this will be better than the HK setup...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK230K & SLK350
Have a word with Alfie at
http://www.comand.co.uk/
They are cheaper than Braybrooks.

gary
Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 AM

SLK 350
I tried, but got no response.... :-(
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Mercedes slk280
aftermarket radio

Hi,
one week ago ,I changed my original stereo for Pioneer aftermarket radio in Best Buy .my question is why after that I can’t leave my car in the park for more that 15 hours without using.?because my battery died. Any suggestions pleases ,
thanks