SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: choices 4 my nxt ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Red face

Well, the car at the T.O. Autoshow had the roof down and it honestly did not look that weird. I thought it was a very nice car. Sitting inside it, I was not too impressed by the interior, but then again BMW never had too flashy interior to begin with and compared to Lexus and MB interior, it sits in last place. However, removing all bias', it was still a step up from their previous 3-series interior. And considering this car is 20% interior, 80% performance oriented, I'd say that it wouldn't completely seal the deal to me until I at least drove it.

I love the fact that they decided to go hardtop and to be honest, had I been making a car choice now instead of last summer, I might actually have gone with this car because it's just that much more practical (and faster!!).

Walking around the car, it still caught my attention. I mean it ain't as much a head-turner like an SLK is, but it gets the attention of people who know what it is. As my friend put it, an SLK is a chick magnet. The 335i is more of a dick magnet.

And I do not mean this in any offensive way!!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
I am retarded...I have pics that I totally shoulda posted.

I know a few were blurry so bare with me if you would. I'll admit it does not look as nice with an extra fold in the roof compared to the SLK, but they still did a pretty decent job imho.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 PM

thx 4 sharing
looks nice

get this one too
Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Of the cars you listed, hands down the 335i Convertible would be the wisest choice...by far. Normally I would say save a few $$ and get the 328 instead, but the 335 is just so much more fun!

You can alway go Pontiac G6 Hardtop Covertible
Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Almost a Member!

97' BMW 328is (E36)
wow....wat i can i say...thx 4 the pics B4TM4N, they really comfort me...esp the 1st pic....the body lines in the front confirms that it has the coupe front instead of the sedan front...i think the major diff is the one in ur pics has 19" whereas the other one i posted has 18" (lucky i ordered the 19")....now i just hope those body lines will show w/ the alpine white i've ordered....

haha i was nearly gonna show the detriot pic to my sales and tell him if it looks dat ugly i'm getting my $ bak

now my only concern abt this car is...i've ordered red interior w/ poplar grey wood.... i made a last min decision to switch from aluminum to grey wood...b/c i just dun like the aluminum surrounding the stick as u can c from B4TM4N's last pic...yet seems like most ppl would go w/ aluminum for the red coz it's more harmonized and gives u the retro look...

just played w/ the configurator....montego blue is nice....esp w/ cream beige leather and grey wood...

Mr. Vanos, looks like u haf a few M cars...wat do u think abt the new m3 hardtop vert?....coz dat's sth i might wanna think abt b4 making my final decision

Last edited by bfung; 03-01-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by bfung
Mr. Vanos, looks like u haf a few M cars...wat do u think abt the new m3 hardtop vert?....coz dat's sth i might wanna think abt b4 making my final decision
It depends on what it is you're looking for. I'm not a fan of hardtop convertibles mainly because of the additional weight they add..and I'm more into performance. There's no confirmation right now that the M3 Cab will be a hardtop, although I can't see them redesigning the cab for a soft top just for the M3, but who knows. The E92 M3 Coupe will already be a heavy car, but it will be a great car with a V8. We have a new M3 on order to replace our existing E46 M3 Cabrio.

I had a 335 coupe launch next to me one day at the light and I was very impressed with its acceleration...seemed a bit faster than current M3. When I finally drove it, it was a real pleasure...even with auto. Soon enough it will also be a GREAT car to mod with the turbos.

I also had a quick race with a new M3 (test mule) last Friday night on the freeway with my 560HP E60 M5 (you can see video and my post on M5Board) and the car was quick but not faster than the M5. If you want a cruiser, the cab is nice. If you want something for pure performance, the cab is not the answer here. One nice thing about hardtop cab is when the top is closed, it adds some "nice" weight to the rear of the car which helps launch the car much better...take that for what it's worth. Even with a softtop, I don't like the E46 M3 Cab, but that's just me.

Keep in mind, when you talk E92 M3 Cab, you are now getting into a WHOLE different league and price range. You may want to update your list of cars you are considering if this is the case Either way, a 335 coupe or cab is better than anything else on your list.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

97' BMW 328is (E36)
yup i guess e93 m3 would be in the price category of slk55 and 997...

btw is there sth u dun like abt carreras? coz i'd imagine if ur dat into performance and u can afford that many Ms and AMGs, you must've thought abt the 911s...and the fact that u'd prefer 335 over pre-owned 911 among my choices...u dun like the idea of a pre-owned 911 or u just dun like 911s?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK

That interior looks horrible, the exterior looks good but has potential to look great with aftermarket add-ons. Performance is probably going to be very good since it's a BMW.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Founder

btw is there sth u dun like abt carreras? coz i'd imagine if ur dat into performance and u can afford that many Ms and AMGs, you must've thought abt the 911s...and the fact that u'd prefer 335 over pre-owned 911 among my choices...u dun like the idea of a pre-owned 911 or u just dun like 911s?
I like Porsches very much, I'm just not a fan of the 996 narrow body Carrera (C2/C4). From a cost of ownership aspect, the new BMW is a much better buy than a used/pre-owned Porsche that's out or close to being out of warranty. I'm assuming you are referring to the last gen 911 correct and not a pre-owned 997?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Almost a Member!

97' BMW 328is (E36)
i guess it's pretty hard to find a pre-owned 997 at a good price...carreras def turn the most heads among my choices...but even the 997 interior is relatively poorer than the others...plus porsche hasn't come out w/ a retractbable hard top yet...

i've heard mixed opinions on porsche's maintainence...some said it's expensive but others said they're tougher than bimmers/benz....

just found more pics of the e93...
http://taxicabs.com/autoshow/milwauk...335/index.html
this is from the milwaukee autoshow

i wonder if the e93 will turn more/less heads than the r171
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Founder

i guess it's pretty hard to find a pre-owned 997 at a good price...
not true, but that depends on your budget and what you deem is a good price. but if your budget doesn't allow for even a "good deal" on a 997, then it doesn't really matter.

but even the 997 interior is relatively poorer than the others
relative to a 996, it is HEAVEN! I actually like the 997 interior a lot and I've spent a good amount of time in it.

...plus porsche hasn't come out w/ a retractbable hard top yet.
if they're smart, they won't. i believe the only reason they would is to react to the market...so it wouldn't surprise me if they did. the weight of a retractable hardtop + additional space it takes to store work for someone who wants practicality, not performance. porsche used to be about performance, but i do recognize they need to adapt to survive in this market.

i've heard mixed opinions on porsche's maintainence...some said it's expensive but others said they're tougher than bimmers/benz.
..and some cars are built on mondays or fridays and others on wednesdays
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Almost a Member!

97' BMW 328is (E36)
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
not true, but that depends on your budget and what you deem is a good price. but if your budget doesn't allow for even a "good deal" on a 997, then it doesn't really matter.

i should say it's hard to find one in decent condition at a resonable price here...and well...just can't convince myself to pay dat kinda $ for a used car...

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
..and some cars are built on mondays or fridays and others on wednesdays
u serious?!!...dat's y i told myself b4 dat my nxt ride would either be an AMG or //M....at least the guy put his name on the engine and u've someone to blame and complain abt!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 AM

My personal thoughts -

Mazda - Immediately dismiss - Junk
BMW - Awesome car for the money, hard-top, great acceleration, 4 seats
MB - Beautiful looking car with good acceleration, head-turner, well priced
Porsche - Pre-owned?? Not for me as opposed to new....

Out of your 4 I would go the BMW.....however if I can add a new 987 Boxster S to your list then it would win for me hands down. Awesome looks, awesome acceleration, beautiful interior, handling and balance is unmatched. It's pricey when optioned up though! Oh well, only live once...AND there is nothing quite like saying you drive a Porsche! That's why I have a white one on order....food for thought...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

97' BMW 328is (E36)
robg,

boxster S is a nice car...only downside 4 me is the softtop...it'd be a no brainer 2 me if it comes w/ folding hard top...u must be excited abt ur order...when's it arriving?...and white is sexy!

the 335 vert i ordered is also white...currently in production, should arrive mid-late april, so i still have abt a month to make up my mind...

saw a few more pics on slk facelift:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...s-slk-facelift

looks like the front bumper will get that traingular thing to compliment the F1 nose...still haven't heard much on ath else yet...i guess the facelift wun be starting july production as they start buildling MY2008