SLK/R171: Appearance Protection Program

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Diamond Silver SLK 280
Appearance Protection Program

The dealer is trying to sell me something they call the Appearance Protection Program which costs $795 and includes:

1. Paint guard protects paint against oxidation and fading.
2. Fiber guard protects carpet and fabric against staining.
3. Leather guard protects against drying, fading, and aging.

Albeit the program is way over priced but brought up an intresting point, it would not be a bad idea to stain guard the carpet and pleather. Has anyone treated their interior (carpets/seats/etc) with a teflon based treatment or similar treatment?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM

2004 SLK200K R171
I have this on my car. Great improvement on the paint and the interior. It cost me $500 first time and then $200 each year for keeping the protection intact. This is not done by Mercedes. It's a private company providing this job.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM

slk 350
Originally Posted by MojitoLoco
The dealer is trying to sell me something they call the Appearance Protection Program which costs $795 and includes:

1. Paint guard protects paint against oxidation and fading.
2. Fiber guard protects carpet and fabric against staining.
3. Leather guard protects against drying, fading, and aging.

Albeit the program is way over priced but brought up an intresting point, it would not be a bad idea to stain guard the carpet and pleather. Has anyone treated their interior (carpets/seats/etc) with a teflon based treatment or similar treatment?
Overpriced is an understatement. While the idea sounds good, you could do it yourself for about $ 50.00. And have enough to protect you for a couple of years. Zaino products for the paint. A can of Scotchguard or similar for the fabric. Any good leather cleaner and protectant like Lexol for the leather.

If you're not going to do it yourself, and have money to burn, then have it done. Your car will be protected, but it's a huge profit maker for the dealer. They'll love you. Otherwise, I would do it myself. Plus, noone will be careful with your car like you.