SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Problem fog light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem fog light

Hello everybody!

When I set the light switch to AUTO, (BI-xenon) lights are turned on but only the left fog light is on (not both fog lights!!!). When I tried to turn on fog lights manually everything is working fine ! Please help! Does anybody know if this problem is about any sensor (maybe the headlight dusk sensor)? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 AM

I have been having this exact problem with my Mercedes fog light. Unfortunately, now I can't get the fog lights to go off except with the left turn signal on (in park and the engine off). I guess I have to go to my dealer to fix it...
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
What position is your steering wheel in?

The "Lighting Option" package that came with (comes with?) the SLK 350 included a turn lighting assist, which turns on the fog light on the side you are turning to if the car is moving some slow speed (not sure how fast) (or is stopped.)

Try this: Turn them on as you say, and turn the steering wheel to the left. Look at it. Then turn the wheel to the right. If this is what you are encountering, then the right fog light should be on and the left off. It's a feature, not a bug, designed to help you pull into dark driveways, etc.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by Maverick
What position is your steering wheel in?

The "Lighting Option" package that came with (comes with?) the SLK 350 included a turn lighting assist, which turns on the fog light on the side you are turning to if the car is moving some slow speed (not sure how fast) (or is stopped.)

Try this: Turn them on as you say, and turn the steering wheel to the left. Look at it. Then turn the wheel to the right. If this is what you are encountering, then the right fog light should be on and the left off. It's a feature, not a bug, designed to help you pull into dark driveways, etc.
I am pretty certain that this is what they are encountering. I would bet that when you first noticed this, that your steering wheel was slightly turned to the left. If you want them to be on all the time, you will have to manually turn them on with the light switch. Setting the switch to Auto will activate the turning assistance fog lamp feature where the fog lamps will only come on if you are turning the steering wheel at speeds of less than 25 mph.