SLK/R171: vibrations with aftermarket rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk350(weekend), Mazda 3s (boosted)
vibrations with aftermarket rims

I have a 05 slk350 with amg package. Last summer i bought some rims and they vibrating. Shaking in the back. I have the hubcentric rings i think, and they were installed, but it still shakes. Tires are balanced and everything. Does anyone know what i can do to get rid of it? Maybe the hubcentric rings arent right? Can someone fill me in with the specs? btw. rims are 19x8.5 fronts and 19x10 in the rears
Old 04-14-2007, 06:50 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Not sure, but one tip. Do you have the correct lug bolts for the new wheels you purchased. If you're using the factory lug bolts, they might not be right for the new wheels. I recently purchased new wheels and they came with new lug bolts. I preferred the factory MB bolts, but quickly realized they were too long. Also, some are conical (sp) versus other styles. Only so much that could be wrong. Bent or warped wheel, improper balance, bad hub centric ring, or improper lug bolts. Good luck with getting things resolved.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
yeah, -1- is right again, there's alot that could be wrong, hubcentric rings not probably seated but that's unlikely but a possibility. I sure hope that it's not the lug bolts, that can be very dangerous. I had the same problem with my aftermarket rims, I tried to used the (OEM) conical seat lug nuts but found out that I needed ball seated lug nuts. Did you hit a pothole recently? Bent rims could cause it to vibrate as well.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Are they really hubcentric spacers designed for MB? Are you sure they're not a generic? H&R makes spacers specifically sized for MB. If they are generic, they could have shifted affecting balance. You probably can simply look at your wheel. Look at the spacer between the wheel and hub. Does it look like it's centered?

Other possibility is damaged wheel or simply your wheels need to be rebalanced.

First check for damaged wheels. Then check the spacer. These are things you can do. If nothing is found, have your wheels rebalanced.