SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Who has trouble with CD's you have burned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Unhappy Who has trouble with CD's you have burned?

My wife's '04 SLK has been using 6 CD's that I burned myself for the past 6 months, they all played fine.

Now I am getting an error on the head unit saying 'NO DISC IN CD 5' & and a similar message for slot #1.

I thought maybe the discs were dusty so I tookthem out and blew them off and put them back in and it played! Now we are back to the error message again!

If the CD's hadn't worked from the start I'd understand and change the media type. But these were all fine from the get-go.

MB is dancing around telling me that " you can't use discs you burned yourself "
If that's the case I bet there are millions out there doing what can't be done, with no trouble at all.

That changer looks to be the same as my 2 Audi TT's or my '99VW Bug so it's surely not that high end. But what gives me the errors now and not when I started? The discs don't wear out only the center hole, maybe, beyond that I haven't a clue but I want it fixed while under warranty.

Thanks to all who reply,

J T
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr
What brand of CDs are you using.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

cd trouble

I use original cd's and ones I burned myself and get the same error message occassionally either way so I doubt it's the disc.
I just unplug the cd changer and plug it back in and it works again.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM

2003 SL500
A mixture

Originally Posted by Ppower
What brand of CDs are you using.
A mixture of Fuji, Maxell and believe it or not ATT&T!

Since I posted the first time I tried to play a purchased CD in slot 5, the one that had the error message.

When I inserted the magazine, it didn't search through all 6 like it normally does, the green "EJECTLIGHT" flashed all the time and I couldn't get the magazine out of the changer! When I attempted to make it play, the head unit said NO CD CHANGER!!

I had to thump on the thing to get the magazine out of the unit. It did this 3 times and now all the discs play just fine. I should have taken it to the dealer when it was jammed up or taken a photo of the head unit message. They will never believe me now

J T
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

2004 C230K (Looking for new MB)
Its funny because I read this post and said to myself "wow good thing this hasnt happened to me"......

I get in the car today and tried to change to CD2. NO DISC!

I just had to eject the cartridge and put it back in. I hope it doesnt get any worse :-(