SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Radio Compatability Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Compatability Question

I have a 2005 SLK350 and the radio got shorted out (spilled on) and needs to be replaced (not covered under warranty). I'm trying to find a used one to stick in it so I don't have to buy a new retail radio from my dealer. I found one that looks identical but it's out of a 2005 C240. The seller believes it will work in any 05-07 C, E, SLK, and CLK class car. FYI, I do not have nav...just the basic in-dash CD head unit. I've seen the pictures of this radio and it looks identical to mine...but I called the dealer with the part number and they said it only shows a match for the C class. But he was also quick to point out that it's for sure NOT going to work....he's just not able to tell whether it will or not in his computer. The part number of the radio I found is a 203 827 39 42. Obviously the concern is about the plugs etc., all being compatible so the steering wheel controls work etc... I desperately want this radio to work because I'm getting it for only $150...but don't want to get stuck with a worthless radio to me either! Can anyone help me if this will work in my car or not??? Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by chrome1wave; 05-15-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM

SLK 350
what do you mean shorted out?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 PM

SLK 350
or why not just do this ......

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...installed.html
Old 05-16-2008, 08:07 AM

2006 slk 55 amg
Originally Posted by chrome1wave
I have a 2005 SLK350 and the radio got shorted out (spilled on) and needs to be replaced (not covered under warranty). I'm trying to find a used one to stick in it so I don't have to buy a new retail radio from my dealer. I found one that looks identical but it's out of a 2005 C240. The seller believes it will work in any 05-07 C, E, SLK, and CLK class car. FYI, I do not have nav...just the basic in-dash CD head unit. I've seen the pictures of this radio and it looks identical to mine...but I called the dealer with the part number and they said it only shows a match for the C class. But he was also quick to point out that it's for sure NOT going to work....he's just not able to tell whether it will or not in his computer. The part number of the radio I found is a 203 827 39 42. Obviously the concern is about the plugs etc., all being compatible so the steering wheel controls work etc... I desperately want this radio to work because I'm getting it for only $150...but don't want to get stuck with a worthless radio to me either! Can anyone help me if this will work in my car or not??? Thanks for the help guys!
Hey Chrome,

I'm not sure if it's going to fit your car but I have my stock radio taken out from my 2006 slk 55. I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket navi. I still have the old one if you want.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi guys, I'm not really interested in the aftermarket concept. Not to mention....a touch screen radio like that with nav, etc....would be well over $500 and I'm selling this car so trying to get this done as cheap as possible. Yes, I would definetely be interested in your radio....please pm me with price details, etc... Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Oh, and to answer the question "shorted out." The previous owner spilled pop it looks like all over the front of the console (radio, climate control, ashtray, etc...). All the buttons stick really bad...pulling out the ashtray you can see syrup looking pop back in the crevices. The radio has several problems.....the steering wheel controls work...but not for the radio....the display in the dash works....but not for the radio.....the radio itself never turns off....even when you turn off the car...lock it....leave it for 15 min...the radio is still playing. Also the display is almost out in it. It's extremely dim and you can't read it. I tried getting it under warranty, but Mercedes said when they pulled out the radio....there was pop....stick crap all over it....so they call that damage and won't claim in under warranty.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Almost a Member!

NYCBoy....do you still have your radio? I sent you a PM, please let me know. Thank you.