SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Airbags Deployment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK350,
Airbags Deployment

Has anyone ever heard for the airbags in the seats deploying for no real reason? The SRS light came on and about 30 seconds the passenger side seat airbag deployed (felt like someone kicking me in the ribs) and about a minute later the drivers side deployed. The car then began calling 911 over and over again. I thought for sure they were going to arrest me for that. The dash display says SRS airbag malfunction drive to workshop.

Is is all in an 05' SLK350

The car is currently in the shop and from the sounds of things its not going to be covered under the warranty.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by MarcusAndTania
Has anyone ever heard for the airbags in the seats deploying for no real reason? The SRS light came on and about 30 seconds the passenger side seat airbag deployed (felt like someone kicking me in the ribs) and about a minute later the drivers side deployed. The car then began calling 911 over and over again. I thought for sure they were going to arrest me for that. The dash display says SRS airbag malfunction drive to workshop.

Is is all in an 05' SLK350

The car is currently in the shop and from the sounds of things its not going to be covered under the warranty.
Wow - not heard of this before! The 911 calls are 'normal' when the airbags deploy - that's one of the TeleAide features.

I'd argue with the dealer over this - can't imagine that there is any good reason for it to happen that would not be covered under the warranty.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

SLK350,
The Plot Thickens

Well Well Well Who would have thought it.... They are saying the car was wrecked and they are NOT going to cover the $11,000 repair cost.

I had a nice talk with the shop manager and he explained that the car has not error codes in the computer (despite the dash display reading "Restraint system malfunction Drive to workshop" See attached) and that there is no problems indicated. Later in the conversation he admitted that yes there is a code that indicates a bad control module for the SRS system however its "Common" for that when there are air bags deployed. That in it self is very interesting... Nice design... Do your job then destroy yourself... That ought to add a cool 3 grand to the repairs (I'm sorry if I sound upset).

As for the car being crashed see the attached pictures to see the damage to the car "that caused the airbags to deploy".
Needless to say I am in the market for an attorney.
Attached Thumbnails Airbags Deployment-sspx0023.jpg   Airbags Deployment-sspx0038.jpg   Airbags Deployment-sspx0028.jpg   Airbags Deployment-sspx0018.jpg   Airbags Deployment-sspx0022.jpg  

Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Ouch - give MBUSA a call first and let them know you are not happy with the news. Sometimes they can shake a dealer in the right direction, other times the lawyer may be your only option

What exactly are they saying "wrecked" the car?

Last edited by UK-C200; 10-16-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM

SLK350,
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Ouch - give MBUSA a call first and let them know you are not happy with the news. Sometimes they can shake a dealer in the right direction, other times the lawyer may be your only option

What exactly are they saying "wrecked" the car?
thats a good question.... I asked that and they dont have an answer.

Good news... I just got a call form USAA and they are going to cover 100% of the cost and my rates are not going to go up... I have to say that they are a good insurance company. Another good thing is the insurance WILL get their money back

Last edited by MarcusAndTania; 10-16-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM

SLK350,
More Double Speak

Here we go again, I contacted MBUSA and they confirm there HAS been a malfunction but the will NOT warranty the airbags.

Buyer beware... Cover your bases before you buy a nice vehicle.

Thank god my insurance company is a good one. They will rattle Mercedes I am sure.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Here we go again, I contacted MBUSA and they confirm there HAS been a malfunction but the will NOT warranty the airbags.

Buyer beware... Cover your bases before you buy a nice vehicle.

Thank god my insurance company is a good one. They will rattle Mercedes I am sure.

MBUSA say why they were refusing to cover it under warranty?!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:43 PM

SLK350,
Air Bag Issues

Originally Posted by UK-C200
MBUSA say why they were refusing to cover it under warranty?!

MBUSA I think said that because the SRS light went on about 30 seconds before the bags started deploying that its not covered. I should have stopped in the road and left the car there or something. We all know half a minute is plenty of time to assess the problem and make a decision and then move the car to a save place. Never the less its not covered.

Let me tell you the way EVERYONE is conducting themselves at Mercedes is very appalling. This is my first Mercedes and for sure its my last. Hopefully I can help plenty of others make a good decision on their next car purchase.

Last edited by MarcusAndTania; 10-17-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 PM

S500
wow imagine if you would have had a child with you, that would have sure shook them up if not possible injury. at least your insurance pulled through, not that they should have but at least someone stepped up to the plate. Sad to say sounds like the three pointed star isnt going to. id be persistant and tell them if the car was in an accident then prove it.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 PM

SLK350,
Originally Posted by donjuan45i
...id be persistent and tell them if the car was in an accident then prove it.
I did and that when I took the pictures of the scuff on the lower control arm that is posted above... Hard to believe that cause the Seat air bags to deploy on both sides.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM

S500
didnt notice that, amazing they are trying to say that mar on the control caused both bags to deploy uh i feel you pain bro. seems like its a flip of the coin with dealer and MBUSA, looks like you got other end up for you. if you can id get an attorney just to make them eat it. Good luck with the situation, hope all more than works out
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM

'05 SLK55 AMG
Are you sure the scuff on the control arm isn't from the tow truck straps? I'm assuming the car was on a flat bed. Or did you know that you ran over something?

Also display warning says "drive" to dealer it didn't say stop car right away.

-nmslk
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM

S500
Originally Posted by nmslk
Are you sure the scuff on the control arm isn't from the tow truck straps? I'm assuming the car was on a flat bed. Or did you know that you ran over something?

Also display warning says "drive" to dealer it didn't say stop car right away.

-nmslk
makes a very good point, but there would probably be one on the other side no? but as for if they are trying to argue that you didnt stop, the car itself instructs not to
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM

SLK350,
Great points...

You both have great points. The tow truck driver used a strap around the rim... But it still may be possible... Check out the picture I took as the car was being loaded onto the flat bed. There are straps there that could make such a mark. I will call Mercedes Of Sacramento (where the car is now) and ask if that could be the cause of the scuff on the control arm. The deal about driving the car after the light came on is just insane... It will never hold up in court.
Attached Thumbnails Airbags Deployment-sspx0031.jpg  

Last edited by MarcusAndTania; 10-17-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM

SLK350,
Mercedes Is Seeing The Light.

It looks like Mercedes is seeing the light. The MBUSA has confirmed that yes there was a fault in the car and have scheduled someone to fly out and investigate the issue. They have not confirmed yet that they are going to fix the problem but the parts have been ordered. This has been a very discouraging adventure that could have been avoided by a little better customer service by Mercedes Benz of Sacramento and MBUSA.

When I get more info I will post it.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Keep us up to date - every success story is one to keep track of. I'm on my 5th Mercedes, and I'll probably buy another - but a large piece of that is the fact I've been treated very well by MB..
Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM

2002 S430 & 2009 SLK 55 AMG
Wow - $11K for air bag deploy repair? Maybe I'm out of it (never have had air bags go off) but that is amazing.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM

SLK350,
All is fixed... Let me tell you I had to Fight

Attached is a list of things that has to be repaired.... About 12k worth of parts and labor... Its a good idea to get a second dealer to look at your car if you have the same type of problems I had. It just so happens that I took my car the the worst dealer in Sacramento. There are at least 3 that I could have chosen.

Another thing that could have made things better is instead of grasping at straws to prove that my wife and I are lier's the shop manager could have did the right tests to verify the problem and the cause.

MBUSA also made a huge mistake by taking the word of the shop manager that had NO information other than the airbags deployed and the sensor control module was bad.
Attached Thumbnails Airbags Deployment-slk350_work-_order.jpg  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM

S500
good to hear that you got it fixed. thats alot of dough in repairs. How long did the repairs take? Also couldnt you have just asked for another car? rather than wait for yours to be fixed?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 AM

SLK350,
Another Car

Originally Posted by donjuan45i
good to hear that you got it fixed. thats alot of dough in repairs. How long did the repairs take? Also couldnt you have just asked for another car? rather than wait for yours to be fixed?
We had a loaner car from the dealership. The real issue was they did not want to do the repairs.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM

S500
We had a loaner car from the dealership. The real issue was they did not want to do the repairs.
yea but I remember a friend of mine has a range rover that he had suspension problems with, and the manufacturer bought it back and he got another one.