SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Front Bumper and Headlight Trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK 350
Front Bumper and Headlight Trouble

It's been awhile since I posted on here, but everything has been going great with my SLK. I'm putting about 2200-2500 miles a month on it and it is running like a top after a recent oil change.

However, I am having some other troubles. Least of my worries (for now), the driver side headlight is beginning to yellow. It almost feels as if there is like a film on the outside of the headlamp as it is no longer smooth like the other one. Is there any way of fixing this, or clearing it up even slightly, or is a replacement in order?

More important issue, I ran into a concrete parking block, which would have just barely scratched the bottom of the front bumper if it wasn't for the extra front spoilers I have due to it being a launch edition. The spoiler tore off and took a part of the actual front bumper along with it. Does anyone have a good idea of a place to order a new one, or a suggestion on a similar, or slightly higher priced, aftermarket one?

Thanks for your help in advance!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK 350
Front bumper and headlight trouble

The headlight trouble sounds like what I call "road blasting" it happens when the road dirt, dust, etc "blasts" the finish on the headlights. There are several available polishing kits to restore the finish that work very well. Another option is if you have a Wal-Mart with a Tire Lube Express they offer a Headlight Restoration for $39.96 plus tax at most of their centers, all will have it later this year if yours doesn't.
The bumper trouble try searching on eBay, I found a complete cover fro $195 plus shipping.
Hope this helps, L8R,
Sid