SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Renntech Airbox Internal View

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
Renntech Airbox Internal View

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a renntech airbox designed for the m113 motor?

I want to see it so i can copy the design to my stock airbox by dremelling out the restrictive baffles.

Thanks Mike
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
man let me try to remember cause I have seen one not too long ago.

Andy
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Sold - CLK500
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
man let me try to remember cause I have seen one not too long ago.

Andy
I think that removing all the stupid baffles and throwing in some green filters are going to make a nice improvement in throttle response.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
yea man I was gona do that while im installing those K&N but fck I was lazy at that time plus I dont have the power tool lol. Probably do that in the summer time.

Andy
Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I installed K&N's and cut out all the baffles and smoothed everything out in my GLK's airbox. You will feel the difference towards the upper RPMs and you will also hear a mild whistle at full throttle. The mod is very easy to do and if you have the tools, will only cost you your time.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
May I ask what kind of tools u using ? Pics will help.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM

GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
May I ask what kind of tools u using ? Pics will help.

Thanks,

Andy
I just used a dremel. I did'nt take any pics, but when you open the airbox you will be removing any baffles you see. It is pretty easy and should take about 1-1.5 hours to complete. I went into the project blind with no info to help and was able to get it all cleared out, so I think anyone can do it if I can. LOL
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I just used a dremel. I did'nt take any pics, but when you open the airbox you will be removing any baffles you see. It is pretty easy and should take about 1-1.5 hours to complete. I went into the project blind with no info to help and was able to get it all cleared out, so I think anyone can do it if I can. LOL
lol its not that I dont know how to do it. Just dont know what kind of tools to use thats all.

Andy
Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Sold - CLK500
im hoping to get this done this weekend, if i can get a hold of a dremel!

ill take some pics of the progress, and how it looks etc...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I need to buy me a dremel...where is a good place to buy ?

Andy
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Quick tip I just remembered. When cutting the tabs off it is easiest to cut one side all the way through either the top side or the bottom side(the tab not the airbox)and then just apply pressure with your fingers on the side you cut. The tab should snap all the way off saving time from cutting the opposite side. All that should be left is minimal grinding for cleanup. I used a small diameter cutting drillbit that came with my Dremel. To smooth things out I used a tapered metal bit and did all the final shaving with that. Once you get all the trimming and shaving done just sand the plastic with fine sandpaper.

Disclaimer: This is in no way an instruction post it is just how it worked out for me.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
I need to buy me a dremel...where is a good place to buy ?

Andy

Amazon Makes sure you get one that has varible speeds.

Anyone have any pics of the baffles you guys are refering too?
Renntech claims 5hp from standard AMG box. So cutting these baffles will result about the same Renntech gains or did they round off the box better?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM

Sold - CLK500
i have decided not to proceed with this mod! I was down at rab motors where the service agent told me that a guy with an e55 put filters that were too small which allowed a piece of metal to get past the filters and go through the throttle body destroying the engine. unlike the 500 which has a maf with a screen to prevent such happening the e55 just has a throttle body.. the owner is now having to replace his whole motor costing in excess of 60k and all this is down to messing with the airbox..

im worried that if i was to dremel it out and a small piece of plastic was to go into the maf i could ruin my engine..

I have decided to go deep into my pockets and get kleemann headers and tune.. its gonna give me some real noticable performance and wont break the bank.

I want to dyno my car before the headers go in so i can report what the 500 makes when u add the kleemann headers..

does anyone know someone in the bay area with a dyno?? i dont want to fork out $100 just for a couple runs.

Mike
Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 AM

When you Dremel the baffles out it is done off the vehicle. I just blew the plastic shavings out and then did a quick wipe down.