SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: newbie questions, slk55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
newbie questions, slk55

I've just come across a 2006 SLK55 (15,500 mi) with literally every option that was available except a designo color (air scarf? seriously?). We've had it for a few weeks. I'm coming to the car from a 2006 Subaru STI that was mildly modified.

1. How do I reset the "trip" meter? That is, when I get gas, how do I tell it to switch the counter to zero?

2. Is the leather safe from most normal usage? If I go to the gym and then get in the car, is the sweat going to hurt the seat? How do I take care of it? I had alcantara in the STI.

3. The stock tires are kind of crummy (I wore R-compound rubber year-round on the STI - most recently RE-01R's). I've been thinking Sport Cup's but they don't make the right sizes. Outside of getting Hoosier/Hankook slicks for the car, what's the grippiest, meanest rubber for the car?

4. The brakes are good but not great. I do have the fancy slotted/drilled rotors, so I think that what is on order here are new pads. I used porterfield, hawk, and axxis pads. What's the most aggressive pad for the car that won't squeal on the road?

5. The suspension is pretty nice and comfy and the car feels overall fairly poised. I'd like to eliminate some body roll, and I think sway bars are on order. Where do I find sway bars for the car?

6. When I mash the gas, there's a slight push to the left of the car. This feels like torque steer, but is probably chassis flex (?). Will sway bars fix this?

7. Brake dust. There's another SLK55 that parks near me, and his wheels are sparkly, every single day. Mine are brown. Is he really washing/wiping his wheels every day or is something else going on?

8. Power options: as I understand it, there's a supercharger, the X-pipe, long-tube headers, and an ECU upgrade. The STI was a loud, loud car. I'm quite pleased with how quiet the "kleine" is until I get on the throttle and get busy. Do all of these things interfere with the normally quiet idle and part-throttle profile of the car? I like having the car quiet after 5-years-and-change in a 2.5 that was making 350 turbocharged horsepower.

Overall, love the car. It'll do donuts on command, has no problem reaching 150mph, and that 4th gear (out of 7!) is a monster. Love it.

Thanks in advance, I know I have a lot of questions. We did get the owners manual, but we can't find the trip-meter thing in it (it's only like 6" thick, right?).
Old 07-04-2011, 09:39 PM

2019 RS5, 2023 GV60, 2023 EQE500
Go to slkworld dot com and use search function ... I'm sure most of your questions will be answered.
To reset trip meter push and hold the lower button on the left side of your gauge cluster. Also in your manual.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM

SLK55
Originally Posted by vexige
Go to slkworld dot com and use search function ... I'm sure most of your questions will be answered.
To reset trip meter push and hold the lower button on the left side of your gauge cluster. Also in your manual.
Huh, ok. Found the trip meter thing. I did go through the forum here but not there. Is that just the better place to look for SLK stuff? I kind of flipped a coin when deciding between the two.