SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK Audio 20 Aux volume

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 200
SLK Audio 20 Aux volume

Plenty of related posts but no sign of a simple fix for my very frustrating problem!
When I connect any mp3 player (Iphone, Ipod etc) to the jack input in the glovebox, the maximum volume (on both player & audio 20) is virtually inaudible. When switching back to CD, ears blasted off!
There is no boost facility on the AUX screen.
I don't particularly want to drive the player from the radio, just to boost the mp3 volume to a reasonable level. There is no Ipod integration kit fitted. Will the line amp alone solve the problem?
Local rustic MB dealer unable to resolve.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Brut&Charisma
Plenty of related posts but no sign of a simple fix for my very frustrating problem!
When I connect any mp3 player (Iphone, Ipod etc) to the jack input in the glovebox, the maximum volume (on both player & audio 20) is virtually inaudible. When switching back to CD, ears blasted off!
There is no boost facility on the AUX screen.
I don't particularly want to drive the player from the radio, just to boost the mp3 volume to a reasonable level. There is no Ipod integration kit fitted. Will the line amp alone solve the problem?
Local rustic MB dealer unable to resolve.
My 2009 SLK Aux is fine, but it has the media interface.

My 2008 C Class sounds like your situation. It has standard AUX in glovebox, and it is WAY too quiet. I wrote all the executives at Mercedes when I got the C Class, and I was brushed off. I was essentially told that is how it is, and they would consider customer feedback for future years.

They did have a little fix to at least help make iPod louder with an amp add on thing, but that was only for iPod kit cars, not aux cars.

I no longer use my aux in the C Class really, but when I did, I used this boostaroo audio amplifier. Back then, they only had this AAAA battery version, but now they have one that can be powered by a car's power port.

Here it is:

http://boostaroo.com/store/Boostaroo...R234-ACUV.html

I am *not* saying this is a great fix. When I used the battery powered version, it helped. You just have to be careful what you set the iPod or music device volume to, or you will get distortion.

Again, it was all such a fuss, I just started using MP3 CD and most of all my satellite radio.

Also if you get something like a dock connector that has "AUX OUT" for the iPod it can sometimes sound batter with the amplifier than the headphone jack.

Last edited by mac911; 02-17-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM

SLK 200
Oh well!

Many thanks for your reply a for the boostaroo suggestion.
I don't really want wires trailing around the car, so I guess I'll just have to put everything onto MP3 CD.
A very surprising & disappointing attitude by the people at Merc !