SLK/R171: Golf and the new SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55
Golf and the new SLK

Hi all,

I've been ringing around the dealers in Oz, but no one seems to have any info on the interior dimensions of the boot. All they can tell me is the volume.

I'm interested to know if anyone knows what the dimensions are and more to the point if a golf bag can fit in the boot (with or without driver I don't care). I know that a golf bag doesn't fit in the old SLK boot.

Otherwise, I might have to buy a Porsche.

Golf nut Slim
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Talking Driverless driving

Why would you stick the driver in the boot? Better the boot on the driver so he can pump the petal to get the car to the golf course.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 PM

C-Class
we have tested here, but the golf-bag won´t fit! *cry*
Old 05-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Lightbulb Inventors wanted

I wonder if anyone makes a bi-fold golf bag something like the fold out suitcases that are designed for suits and dresses so that when placed in a trunk the bag would flatten out? If not, maybe the clever people at Mercedes could come up with some custom fitted "golf luggage" that would do the trick.

Another option might be some type of detachable "tow" box assuming the SLK would accomodate a tow package. I know the SL can be ordered (at least in Europe) with roof rails to which a roof rack will attach but that sort of defeats the purpose of being able to enjoy open top driving on the way to and from the golf course.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:25 PM

Forget it - if you want to play golf buy a bigger car. I use the E320 estate for golf. Even the SL cant handle clubs, bag and trolley.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:34 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Thumbs up Solution Found!!!!

See link below. This innovative golf bag allows for the side pockets to detach when traveling. Its innovative design complies with all TSA and commercial airline travel specifications. Looks like it may well fit into the new SLK trunk where a standard golf bag wouldn't.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2342

I've tried to call the customer service department for exact dimensions but they are presently closed. They open Monday to Friday from 8-6 ET. Their number is 800-788-4495. Since Felix who has access to the new SLK already tried to see if a standard golf club bag would fit perhaps he can tell from just looking at the design of this one if the problems encountered look like they are eliminated by this unique design that allows for zipping off the shell with its pockets.

Last edited by northbenz; 05-09-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:57 AM

2003 SL55
Felix, thanks for the answer, as a result of which I went shopping on the weekend.

SL Boy, fortunately for me, we have an E500 with the new 7G-tronic. The SLK was for a little bit of fun.

Northbenz, neat travel bag. I know my dad is looking for a slimline design so I'll pass the info onto him.

It'd be interesting if Felix could tell us if it is the left-right dimension that won't fit, or the front-back. My guess is that it is the left-right dimension, Benz have a tendency in their newer cars to use the space in the corners of the boot for the Sat-nav. There's also some weird gadget in the right rear-corner of the E500 boot. I think it's the airmatic DC controller, as it's not in the E320.

Thanks for the help

Slim