SLK/R171: A few questions from a noobie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R171
A few questions from a noobie

Hi gang,

I'm currently hopping for my first R171 (and first MB) and have a few quick questions please.

1) Does a red seat belt and red stitching in the leather mean a car is Sports package?
I see many ads with the above but they are not advertised as Sports models so am not sure if they are, and the vendor doesn't know, or whether they were optional on any SLK.

2) Where is the button to put the Sports models into Manual mode?

3) I keep seeing photos of a phone in what appears to be the middle section where the handbrake is - why? What is this?

4) The ads also state 'phone prep' even though my understanding is it's all Bluetooth and wireless and the calls come through your car speakers regardless so what is phone prep and why do several ads show a detachable gadget with 'answer/end call' buttons?

5) I'm sure I saw a roof mod that not only allows you to operate the roof whilst driving but also reduce the time from 22 seconds to 14 seconds but I can't find it - does it exist or did I dream it?

6) On the wing mirror control I see left and right wing mirror options but also, on many models, an option inbetween these two. Is this for folding the wing mirrors in?
I assume it is but the owner's manual I found online omitted this option altogether.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Quick questions/quick answers

1. Yes
2. Press the S/C button by the automatic gear leaver (if you have the option steering wheel gear selectors this button will also say "M"). "S" is displayed in the dashboard instead of "D"
3. Don't know
4. Phone pre is a cradle and power supply in the glovebox behind the handbrake. Only facelift cars came with bluetooth (NTG 2.5 cars)
5. You can buy a smart top box which plugs into the CAN bus wiring system in the driver footwell and allows you to raise/lower roof up to 50 kph (30 mph) and also as you lock the car. I have one, it is very good and costs about € or £150.
6. Mirror button in middle allows you to fold in the mirrors (optional feature). This can also be enabled on locking/unlocking car.

​​​​​​​Hope this helps?
The following users liked this post:
MissVix (08-09-2018)