SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: to lease a SLK AMG or to finance a slk350....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Boxster 987
to lease a SLK AMG or to finance a slk350....

i am very tempted to lease a slk 55 instead of finance a slk350

financing the AMG is a lil much for me i plan on dropping 30,000 canadian down and take the payments from there whether it be finance or lease.

what do you guys think i should do? This whole lease things is confusing and it seems like your kinda just renting a car which i find annoying but i mean if u loose the same type of depreciation of finance then financing is like renting a car too cuz it loses value too right?

the reason i want to finance this time is because i already leased and felt i prolly lost more on a lease then i would have on finance.

if i were to buy the AMg my dealer says 85 G canadian
and i will leabve it stock

the SLK 350 is going for 65 G and i will put a brabus kit on it.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a big fan of leasing since I am a person that likes new cars often and puts very little mileage on them. If you are in that category, go for it otherwise. The other reason I always lease is that I believe you should always try to own things that go up in value and rent things that go down in value. Since cars always drop value, the cheapest way to own them is to either buy one and drive it until it's value is bottomed out (boring) or to pay for only the depreciation of the car and no more.

If the car depreciates less than expected you can always sell it at the end of the lease. If it depreciates more than the car company eats the loss.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jakepratt
I am a big fan of leasing since I am a person that likes new cars often and puts very little mileage on them. If you are in that category, go for it otherwise. The other reason I always lease is that I believe you should always try to own things that go up in value and rent things that go down in value. Since cars always drop value, the cheapest way to own them is to either buy one and drive it until it's value is bottomed out (boring) or to pay for only the depreciation of the car and no more.

If the car depreciates less than expected you can always sell it at the end of the lease. If it depreciates more than the car company eats the loss.
I like leasing as well however if you lease do not option out the car much or you will see a large spike in your payments with little residual lift.
If you are leasing, get a base car and leave it be. If you want a custom car, buy and sell it when you get bored - these (SLKs) are cars that hold value and will be fast movers once on the marketplace.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Silver_Lana
I like leasing as well however if you lease do not option out the car much or you will see a large spike in your payments with little residual lift.
If you are leasing, get a base car and leave it be. If you want a custom car, buy and sell it when you get bored - these (SLKs) are cars that hold value and will be fast movers once on the marketplace.
Yea, heavily optioned out leases result in very high monthly payments.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I am curious why is is better to stay away from options. In past cars I leased, the options (factory) were residualized along with the rest of the car. Is Mercedes different?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
i was tempted to lease the AMG but i dont think thats gonna happen therefore iono bout the lease i think im gonna try financing this go round.

i ordered a 05 SLK350 black on black , bi xenon, heated airscraf pkg.,
and cd changer is prolly gonna be thrown in free. i am proboly gonna get sport suspension option as well if it lowers the car height a bit or should i go aftermarket?

i already got 18" brabus rims i want to put on and a body kit will be coming (brabus) in the near future so naturally i think it needs a good lowering.

i am puttin down $30,000(can) and payments are $1200 for 48 monthes
grnad total is $80,100 after taxes ect. AMAZINg how base cost is only $64,000 plus only 2 options and taxes run me up $16,000 or so...

Last edited by kimchiFLAVA; 08-09-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jakepratt
I am curious why is is better to stay away from options. In past cars I leased, the options (factory) were residualized along with the rest of the car. Is Mercedes different?
They (options) are residualized along with the value of the base car however they have an apparent depreciateion rate much higher than that of the car itself almost like how an E500 depreciates more than an E320, the optional V8 engine makes for a higher dpreciation and not just because obviously the price is higher.
I dont know why but it just works that way.
Should be the other way around since options raise the market value of a car after the lease and the dealer can get much more for that well appointed car than a base model.