SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: test drove the M3 today i regret ordering slk350..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Boxster 987
He said that SLK350 would be the more sensible choice and as i will be one of the first SLK350 owner round these parts i could always sell the car at the cost i bought it for even with some Km's on it. I would not make money on buying the car but he told me if its anything like the last debut of the previous SLK i should be fine. And as a result of this if i cont like it ic an sell it in a year and not lose any large amounts.

He then told me the m3 is going to lose its value really quickly since the 3 series is coming out soon and then the m3 is going to freeze sales when it does and no one will buy them anymore making the value drop.

But he also reminded me that i should get whatever i want regardless of all these factors cause ultimately its my car and if i enjoy it who's to stop me?
But the SLK is a more sensible choice and the build quality is much higher and well its a new model mercedes so i cant really go wrong. For Hp he said from what he read from european sources its good amount that i shouldnt feel like
the car would be slow and would have sufficient GO power.

I took a 2001 boxster S for a spin while i was there i believe it was 250 HP?
the sales guy said it was 240 anyone wanna confirm the HP for a 2001 S?
anyways the HP seemed quite slow maybe it was becasue earlier this morning i was driving around in a M3...The porsche was decent but it didnt really take me to the fly of my pants so to speak.
Which makes me nervous because the boxster S and SLK350 are pretty similiar in HP give or take 30 HP so are they going to be very similiar is speeds? I am not harsh *****ing but i would be a lil disapointed if it did not meet my desires n terms of speed to a overall better lookin car and build then a M3.

O wellz too much car drama is giving me a headache i shoulda jus eenie meenie minie Mo'd.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:54 AM

W208 55 & R170 230
I dont' know about you .,., but M3., its just a riced up 3 series. for Asian ricer...,,,, don't you see those kids driving their M3 on the street?..... I rather go slower than having the same car as the 20 years old kid
Old 09-12-2004, 06:20 AM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA
He then told me the m3 is going to lose its value really quickly since the 3 series is coming out soon and then the m3 is going to freeze sales when it does and no one will buy them anymore making the value drop.
I don't quite understand. If BMW will stop allowing people to purchase the M3 when the new 3-Series comes out in November, the resale value should increase as they won't be as easy to obtain. Remember that the MB Dealership obviously wants you to purchase a Mercedes... do what you feel is best. What do you want today? Will you enjoy the SLK350, or will you comfort yourself in the knowledge that it may be a good value and that you may purchase a car more suitable to your taste in the future?

Originally Posted by mtimmy
I dont' know about you .,., but M3., its just a riced up 3 series. for Asian ricer...,,,, don't you see those kids driving their M3 on the street?..... I rather go slower than having the same car as the 20 years old kid
That's one of the worst arguments that I have ever heard.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Happy problem!

He said that SLK350 would be the more sensible choice and as i will be one of the first SLK350 owner round these parts i could always sell the car at the cost i bought it for even with some Km's on it. I would not make money on buying the car but he told me if its anything like the last debut of the previous SLK i should be fine. And as a result of this if i cont like it ic an sell it in a year and not lose any large amounts.

But he also reminded me that i should get whatever i want regardless of all these factors cause ultimately its my car and if i enjoy it who's to stop me?
But the SLK is a more sensible choice and the build quality is much higher and well its a new model mercedes so i cant really go wrong. For Hp he said from what he read from european sources its good amount that i shouldnt feel like
the car would be slow and would have sufficient GO power.

I took a 2001 boxster S for a spin while i was there i believe it was 250 HP?
the sales guy said it was 240 anyone wanna confirm the HP for a 2001 S?
anyways the HP seemed quite slow maybe it was becasue earlier this morning i was driving around in a M3...The porsche was decent but it didnt really take me to the fly of my pants so to speak.
Which makes me nervous because the boxster S and SLK350 are pretty similiar in HP give or take 30 HP so are they going to be very similiar is speeds? I am not harsh *****ing but i would be a lil disapointed if it did not meet my desires n terms of speed to a overall better lookin car and build then a M3.

O wellz too much car drama is giving me a headache i shoulda jus eenie meenie minie Mo'd.
You should see your situation as a happy dilemma deciding between such fine cars.

One thing for sure is that as others mentioned, you could have gotten your deposit back. Of course, you have to appear more firm and must let the manager realize that you will make things rather inconvenient for him if he does not comply. Demand to see the written non-refundable company policy, documenting the case that they refused to refund your deposit even before the car was manufactured, letter to President of MB Canada, letter to MB Germany, press, other dealers, etc.

I was told by my dealer friends in BC that it is against the law for them to keep your deposit. You must appear very nice and naive and so they naturally pushed you around. If I need to speak to the manager of a store, I do not seek permission from his junior staff.

I tend to agree the SLK350 will hold its value well especially within the first year, however, it does not really matter in your case if you're on a 3-year lease.

Another car to consider if you enjoy a sporty drive will be the new Boxster:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...porsche/1.html

Even if you do decide on a MB, I would make the salesman feel apologetic and make up for all the needless running around and misinformation they provided.

To me, built quality is important and I agree with ajoe that the M3 is full of creaks and rattles due to its stiff suspension. In Vancouver BC where you often cannot push a car to its potential, the car may get tiring very soon. I find the newer MB having much better built quality than 5 years ago. The SL500 was absolutely rattle free and so is the E55.

I cannot comment on the SLK350 not having driven it but I suspect it will be more of a cruiser when compared to the M3 and Porsche.

Do you drive aggressively most of the time? If I were getting a manual sports car in your price range, I would pick the new Boxster. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:19 AM

05 CLK 320
Dont forget the lotus elise, a real kick *** car.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
I like that solution only problem is i have to wait almost one year for the SLK55 since my dealer told me it is gonna be really hard to get one any time sooner. I am not willling to wait one year for the SLK55. And for the m3 im planning to lease for 3 years so by that time it would be at the end of it life cycle.

Yes i know i made a huge mistake by not testing out other cars and i really should test the c32 AMG but since i owned a c class before i dun really feel like im switching cars sort of thing. Plus alot of people do not like the roughness of the m3 i think its perfect since its really exciting to drive.

Talos, thanks i will ask around tommorow and im pretty set for owning the M3
although i think its different in BC canada im pretty sure a binding contract is a binding contract... Anyone from vancouver or canada have any info on this?

I hate to talk about wanting a BMW over a mercedes on this forum but honestly the m3 is the only BMW i like and as for the new styling direction they are going i will most likely own a benz in the future.

M3 is a monster, but with the recalls and dealer service, it easily can put me off buying it.... no way you can compare SLK 350 with M3 , ofcoarse the SLK 32 had plenty of power than the M3, but it didn't felt like my ex-M roadster...
Old 09-12-2004, 02:17 PM

SLK55 AMG
dang that kinda sucks....torn between buying in the now and somthing really fun but outta date or waiting for somthing better but maybe lose passion for later....

What about the C55? one of my dealer says i can get it in febuary....
that is waitable but will i like the styling since i sort of had my share of a c class platform( c240). And for some reason a 4 door is not really what im lookin for since i want more a sporty feel to the car.

When is the next C class model change gonna be i heard in 2007?
C55 is great, I had a test drive last month, I guess it was for a guy who works for MB, C55 is simply awesome... but i dont like 4 doors , its just my dislike.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:05 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
yeah i guess your right I should be happy im deciding on two very good cars.

Well live and learn and i gues im just gonna take the SLK350 and test drive the new boxster and the slk55 AMG whne it comes out and hey if i really really like the car then i could just switch.

And i am financing the SLK cause i never tried financng also i can do a couple mods if i like and also i think i can get good realse value if i do decide to switch.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:06 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Hey another good thing is that i get to stay on this forum!

Old 09-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey kimchiFLAVA,

You're always welcome here regardless of what car you're getting.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:29 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
m3 from bmw owner

m3 is raucous knock your socks off car, lots of power but lots of noise, & vibration, very high redline, I just drove 350 slk auto very refined very very fast
very little room, them3 has a back seat and more storage space than the slk. It depends on what yo are looking for. I liken the m3 to a high strung motor cycle. very fast, but gets its power at high end of rpm scale. The noise level of the m3
might get old fast unless that's what you expect.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:36 PM

SLK55 AMG

Old 09-12-2004, 04:39 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
kimchiflavor?

how was the mt ? how is the clutch feel , let up? and how does the gear box
feel? the 350 slk, was gorgeus out side, the inside seemed cheeszy, the dash and panel material looked like it was out of a nissan altima,
Old 09-12-2004, 05:22 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
the MT of the m3?

Actually i don't really know to much about MT havent driven one since my 84 civic with the bumper held up by a bungee cord lolz. But it felt good theres tons of power on tap and 3rd gear is amazing. Though i encountered alotta traffic on my test drive and i realized a manual m3 can proboly get a lil frustrating at times cuz the car jus wants to rocket around everywhere.
I also tested the SMG and i think that would be the most wisest route to go though its a expensive option. Also if you want to squeeze all those 333 ponies i think MT is the way to go.

I don;t regret not getting the m3 i'm not too crazy bout the looks its kinda outdated though its still a beautiful car i think the SLK will look that much more nicer. The M3 is just pure fun to drive but i think the SLK will be alotta fun too cause its a two seater and convertible a hard top at that. 270 HP should be sufficient enough though i have a small feeling im might crave more HP after a month. And plus the SLK350 is gona look so tight when i pull up to clubs, not that i go too often but it is nice to VIP in front of ladies now and then lolz I always wanted a two seater ever since my friend pulled up in a 2001 boxster S. I fell in love with that car nows my turn!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:25 PM

2000 528BMW 5sp
no mt of slk 350 please

no I was asking about slk 350 Mt you drove
Old 09-12-2004, 09:28 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
i think you misread it i test drove an M3 the SLK350 isnt even out in canada yet.

I wish i could test drive it before i purchase one :P
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
M3 is a monster, but with the recalls and dealer service, it easily can put me off buying it.... no way you can compare SLK 350 with M3
The SLK350 has yet to be released in Canada, what makes you think that it will be any more reliable?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:46 PM

many
SLK350 is just W203 with different body. It will never handle like M3.
I would wait 1 year before buying new SLK, there might some quality issues and within 1 year hopefully they are fixed.
Benz doesn't know how to make real cars like M3.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
Where did you place your order or what dealer?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Andy not sure of the last name

And he works at the SilverStar Auto in Surrey.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Thumbs down New BMW 3-Series on the horizon!

KimchiFLAVA

You need to research your car purchases in greater depth... Are you aware the new BMW 3-series is soon to be released (in Europe)??? It's a new car and in the not too far distant future the new M3 is looming!!! If you go out and buy an M3 now within 6 months the car will look dated when compared to the new 3-series!

Think before you buy!

Marky-Mark
Old 10-08-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally Posted by Marky-Mark
KimchiFLAVA

You need to research your car purchases in greater depth... Are you aware the new BMW 3-series is soon to be released (in Europe)??? It's a new car and in the not too far distant future the new M3 is looming!!! If you go out and buy an M3 now within 6 months the car will look dated when compared to the new 3-series!

Think before you buy!

Marky-Mark
Probably the opposite, as the new Bangle-ized version should be sure to inspire one to throw up on himself. Fugly. Probably look like a Z4 with a hardtop.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:53 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
looking at a 04 S4....we'll see on tuesday.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up

Hey kimchiFLAVA,

How much did you put down?
I put 1,000. The only thing that you can lose is the deposit. There isn't anything else they can do. However, if you want to make sure call another dealarship and ask if you want to buy a, place an order, and put a deposit, and you change your mind what will happen? Get a friend to call your dealership and ask. My family only deals with the manager, so you might try talking to the manager at your dealership, better yet talk to the regional manager, especialy since your a good customer, they will definately want to keep you. Your salesperson doesn't care. He just wants to make the commission, and if you don't get the car, onother salesperson might sell it, so yours will be out his share. So don't let him bully you there is nothing he can do but keep your deposit, and if you talk to the manager, I bet you can get even that back. Lots of luck
Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Almost a Member!

350 SLK on waiting list, expected March '05
A twist.

I like the M3, but I keep my cars for 2-3 years and to own an M3 when the new 3 series is launched April 05 will do little for residuals. Thus I have orded an M3, but the one for launch in 2006/7, it will replace my SLK (which I don't get until early 05!)

Why order now... well you know how popular the present one is, and how long it takes to get one, well my order backed by a deposit places me as a lucky one, to take delivery in the first month of launch.

Oh and which is better, I don't care, they will both be extreamly fun cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: test drove the M3 today i regret ordering slk350..