SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: How to turn off ESP, ABS, BAS...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
How to turn off ESP, ABS, BAS...

This is CRAZY! But I will try it or may be I shouldn't? How the hell did they found out about the dynamometer test mode? The Air Care Test people don't know about this stuff! They always mess up my car. After their nonsense test I have to go to my MB dealer and have them reset the ESP, for a charge of course!
Attached Thumbnails How to turn off ESP, ABS, BAS...-slk-esp.jpg  
Old 10-15-2004, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Teufel
This is CRAZY! But I will try it or may be I shouldn't? How the hell did they found out about the dynamometer test mode? The Air Care Test people don't know about this stuff! They always mess up my car. After their nonsense test I have to go to my MB dealer and have them reset the ESP, for a charge of course!
How did they find out? I suspect they read about it on MBWorld in the past couple years. It's been in MBs for a while now, and was reported here a while back.

-s-
Old 10-15-2004, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

P.S. the newer W211 folks are hyped about it in their forum now as well. But they are more interested in the oil level reading...

-s-
Old 10-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Some people are wondering how they found out about this turning off the ESP and other electronic safety stuff. Well, I think I got two answers. One day, a person was messing around with the button on the wheels and found that you could turn off the electronic safety stuff or maybe its in the book manual guide thing that they give for everycar. I read the article posted above somewhere and it said that when all the safety stuff is turned off the car goes from 5.5 second for 60mph to 5.3 seconds for 60mph. So image in SLK 55 AMG. From 4.8 seconds for 60mph maybe does like a 4 seconds to 4.2 seconds for 60mph. OH and I read the new corvette does like 0 to 60 mph in 4.2. But image if it had all the safety features and weight a mercedes benz had. Then the car would do like 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds or even higher. A bicycle can break a corvette's door. Fiber glass is just like glass, hit it like you are punching a bag and its destroyed.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK 350
Some people are wondering how they found out about this turning off the ESP and other electronic safety stuff. Well, I think I got two answers. One day, a person was messing around with the button on the wheels and found that you could turn off the electronic safety stuff or maybe its in the book manual guide thing that they give for everycar. I read the article posted above somewhere and it said that when all the safety stuff is turned off the car goes from 5.5 second for 60mph to 5.3 seconds for 60mph. So image in SLK 55 AMG. From 4.8 seconds for 60mph maybe does like a 4 seconds to 4.2 seconds for 60mph. OH and I read the new corvette does like 0 to 60 mph in 4.2. But image if it had all the safety features and weight a mercedes benz had. Then the car would do like 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds or even higher. A bicycle can break a corvette's door. Fiber glass is just like glass, hit it like you are punching a bag and its destroyed.
It depends on the car. It seems most people get the best 1/4 mile times on the E55 by leaving the ESP on and learning to work with it. ESP off just allows the tires to spin, and that doesn't help you go any faster.

-s-
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 PM

MCS
I read the article and a thought crossed my mind; for states that require dyno based emissions testing, it seems like just turning off ESP without using this diagnostic mode would still have the safety systems intrude and cut the power and mess up the test. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:09 AM

05 SLK350; 00 Lexus GS400; 05 Corvette
Talking

Originally Posted by SLK 350
The corvette no longer uses fiberglass, it is a composite material that resists dings/dents... not too fragile as you suggest.

The C6 *has* a large amount of safety equipment (including handling/traction control/front&side airbags/ABS). It's weight allows 7.9lbs/hp. With some easy mods (normally aspirated with mild cam/heads/gears), the car is doing 11.4 second quarter miles. I have drag raced for over 20 years and this level of performance is incredible. I used to have to work hard and pay alot of $$$ to just get a 60's muscle car into the low twelves. The C6 Vette makes it easy, with even more room to improve.

The car is a screamer, with the Z51 option having tranny/power steering/oil cooler, drilled rotors, supercar run-flats, larger sway bars/shocks (all of that for only $1400). With 400 HP on tap (stock) it can do 186MPH, run like a cat, and corner like a gazelle...

All this for about $47,000 (that's what Z51 C6 cost with $2,000 off MSRP)

Wait this Spring for the 500HP Z06 Vette.... should be even more fun for about $55,000... 0-60 around est 3.7 seconds...if you can keep the tires stuck to the pavement.

PS: "the book manual guide thing that they give for everycar" is called an "owner's manual"

Last edited by docrings; 12-05-2004 at 03:14 AM.