SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK350 vs S2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 M3, 05 R1
look here, i have somethings that i have to say regarding your opinion.

Originally Posted by kimchiFLAVA
-I hate the "snob" factor involved with it like its a higher class then everyone else even though a porsche is just as expensive its still does not have the "snob" factor that mercedes has for some reason.
i don't know about where you are but there is honestly the same "snob" factor involved with Porsche, if not more.

-Mercedes constantly has stupid things going wrong with the car whether it be electronics to the car just stopping on the road it was really quite embarrsing having your car stop dead in traffic.
I've had more than a handful of MBs and they never failed on me. Some may do but these things happen to many cars that are equipped with advanced technology, such as high end german cars. ex/ bmw m3 smg tranny; there is just too many computer involvements, that it gets messed up a lot of times. you should know if you work with any computers.

-Mercedes is not that special no more for some reason since the c class is cheaper then alotta acuras and nissans.
Huh?? didn't you just say "I hate the "snob" factor involved with it like its a higher class then everyone" on top of your post?

MB has always made small and cheap cars in Europe, like A class and such... and it always has been a special brand. It's just that they don't want to bring those smaller Benz to America as they see no market for these McDonald's-Eating-Fat-Americans.

Overall i think porsche is a better fit for me somtimes that noise of the exhaust and flat 6 growl can sorta ruin your thinking abilities as you drive but when you really wanna feel the road and be "one" with your car Porsche really brings alot of satisfaction at the end of the day whereas the Mercedes can only deliver in straight line performance and has a floating feel on the road like your riding on air. Which isnt a bad thing so i guess it all comes down whats in your priorities.
I agree strongly.

Theres only one porsche dealership in vancouver so its alot more intimate and friendly.
just a question here: doesn't monopoly bring dominance in general? therefore serving people however they want because customers can't go anywhere else??

As well as quality- it really needs to go back to the drawing board on the whole computer in it which always likes to tell me theres somthing wrong with the car when there isnt. I thought it was a mercedes!
you see?? there are problems in any cars, even your porsche.

O btw the design(looks wise) of the porsche is way better then the new SLK
its a much more timeless design and has a smoother look giving it a european beauty simple yet elegant lines. The SLK is a nice design too but it has alot more flaws then the Boxster namely the nose and the amg kit on the front makes the car look even worse.
disagree totally. porsche doesn't look "way better" than the new SLK. it depends on personal preferences. porsche may look timeless because they didn't do SH(T with it.

And finally, what flaws? majority of people will say the AMG kit will bring the true beauty of this car. may be you looked at some other kit rather than AMG.

no hate here. believe me i love those porsches too. as matter of fact, i fell in love when i sat in 997 last week.

my 2cents...
Old 02-06-2005, 05:03 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Thats cool its all good, here we are arguing about porsches and mercedes lets go for a drive and be happy we have such fine automobiles to skate around in.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
honestly, if i had a choice between boxter and slk350, I wouldn't know what to choose. boxter IS a porsche, that alone counts a lot. on the other side, slk has that luxurious flavor in it plus folding hardtop. also, slk gives enough performance to be a real nice sports car.

anyways, if i am comparing Slk with S2000, I'll choose SLK hands down.

Last edited by termigni; 02-07-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 AM

2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by GearHead
There are good, Bad & UGLY MB dealerships too.

You folks have been fortunate to run into pleasant ones.

Couple years ago, my wife and I went into a LA dealership. We had just spent most of a day at Pasadena volunteering at the RoseParade float decorations and therefore dressed in grubby wares. Since my wife at that time was looking for a SUV, and we were looking at whether a ML or X5, we visited this DownTownLA MB dealer. Got the most cold and rude treatment. There were tons of sales people on the floor and no one wanted to help. After corning a very relunctant sales person, and asked to take one for a test drive, the response was ... all the MLs are sold or reserved by other customers.

We went out and bought a X5 that same day.
i know this is off topic but ,i have had some bad experiences with the downtown audi dealer (which is in the same management as MB, Porsche, and VW of DTLA)
i ended up selling my s4 after 5 months of horrible experience (from both audi and the dealer)
Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
SLK > S2000 mainly for it's hardtop > softtop.

I've always wanted to drive an S2000 and I hear they are soo much fun to drive. I love the SLK but without driving the S2K, it won't be anything more than a biased opinion. I think the S2K just has that amazing simple yet hot japanese style to it. The SLK has a really unique look compared to other roadsters you see on the roads. Also, the comparison is all based on the desire for a convertible. If I was in the market for a convertible, I would probably want to drive it with the roof off as much as possible, and the fact that the SLK has AIRSCARF only drives one towards the car that will give a more improved enjoyment of top-down driving. It's as if it's no longer an apple-to-apple comparison.

Had this been the R170 vs. S2K, I would have chosen the S2K for sure! There are enough goodies about the S2K that would eliminate the desire for a hardtop.

...of course, this is ALL just an opinion...

The only way to really compare 2 vehicles is to set looks aside and other factors that are generally opinionated, because you can never reach an absolute group consensus if you base everything on these types of factors. Opinions vary from person to person, but there are certain properties that stay the same. For example, price. If you are on a budget and purchase solely based on price, it's obvious the cheaper car wins. This is the kind of thing that can't be argued.

So instead you have to look at it's purpose. Why are we buying this car?

Some would purchase for:
-performance
-luxury
-comfortability
-practicality
-price
-reliability
-modifiability (is this a real word?)
-alternative to what we already drive
...more...

It all depends on the buyer. I know you've already made the purchase, but maybe this will help future buyers?? Ask yourself why you're purchasing this car and maybe try to rank it in order of importance. This usually helps me when trying to decide.

The minute you throw in things like style and looks, the arguments will go on for hours about which is the better car (and anything else in life).

Last edited by B4TM4N; 03-14-2007 at 07:00 PM.