SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: leather protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK200 Kompressor (2005)
leather protection

did anyone bother getting their dealer to leather protect their car?

my dealer said that "for a car that size" it'd be about $300. ($495 for paint protection).

my seats a already stretching a bit
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 AM

2005 SLK350
I had mine Simonized for $350, and that included interior.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by GAM817
did anyone bother getting their dealer to leather protect their car?

my dealer said that "for a car that size" it'd be about $300. ($495 for paint protection).

my seats a already stretching a bit
I don't see how adding a leather protector will stop the seats from stretching. There is nothing you can do to stop this from happening since this is a characterisitic of leather.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 AM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Don't waste your money

Originally Posted by viper
I don't see how adding a leather protector will stop the seats from stretching. There is nothing you can do to stop this from happening since this is a characterisitic of leather.
Of course it won't prevent stretching and it offers no protection at all. This is a total waste of good money pure and simple and is nothing more than high profit snake oil. Just stop and think: If there was such a thing as long lasting leather protection (or paint) it would be offered as an OEM option by car manufactures (and furniture manufactures for that matter).

This is vary similar to the dealer added rustproof undercoating rip off schemes that dealers sold back in the 80's and early 90's. The manufactures made them stop applying this mess because it would trap moisture and actually accelerated rusting.

Use quality leather care products, like Lexol for leather and Zaino for paint, for the best results.

Last edited by Julien321; 02-02-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Julien321
Of course it won't prevent stretching and it offers no protection at all. This is a total waste of good money pure and simple and is nothing more than high profit snake oil. Just stop and think: If there was such a thing as long lasting leather protection (or paint) it would be offered as an OEM option by car manufactures (and furniture manufactures for that matter).

This is vary similar to the dealer added rustproof undercoating rip off schemes that dealers sold back in the 80's and early 90's. The manufactures made them stop applying this mess because it would trap moisture and actually accelerated rusting.

Use quality leather care products, like Lexol for leather and Zaino for paint, for the best results.
I agree with everything you say. It is unfortunate that dealer's today still try to sell exterior and interior "protection" plans before they let you go. My dealer even went as far as telling me that if I don't get these items then he will discount me at trade in time. I told him not to worry because I had no intention of getting my next car from him with this kind of high pressure sales tactic. Too bad that MB does not ask "did your dealer try to strong arm you into purchasing additional services" on the survey. I think the dealers should be beat up by MB for playing this game.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 PM

SLK200 Kompressor (2005)
viper, my bad. wasn't saying that leather protection would stop the stretching. just mentioning it and unloading

julien, i'm trying to follow what you are saying and there seems to be two trains of thought.

1) dealer leather protection and paint protection is BS

2) self applied leather protection (Lexol) and paint protection (Zaino) is better

so are you saying that the chemicals that the dealers use are inferior? I'm guessing maybe people here are saying that it's cheaper and just as good to do it yourself.

my dealer offered to re-details the car because i told them that it wasn't 100% clean when I received it (white dust all over it). I took it for it's first wash today and the guy at the car wash just wiped it straight off. hard to justify getting the free detailing now that it's been cleaned