SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Bummed that US Model has Triangle Removed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Angry Bummed that US Model has Triangle Removed

Is there anyone else that does not like the fact that in the US models, the warning triangle is removed from the trunk? Even if it does not meet DOT specs, it would be nice to have one in that space.

Any European folks know of the part number for the "Warndreieck?"

I actually have someone in Germany looking into getting me one...

I also would like information on the fire extinguisher mounting (yes, they take that out too). I am sure that it can't be shipped easy due to pressure, but maybe getting the mount, I could find something here to fit...
Attached Thumbnails Bummed that US Model has Triangle Removed-triangle.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Ha, I never knew they had those triangles in the SLKs. I am in the United Stantes too. I believe that the European SLKs have the trianbles and fire extinguisher becuase of those highways that don't have speed limits. So if the engine is worked to hard and goes on fire, (the brakes can go on fire too) then you can put it out. Also, if the car flips you can use the triangle to warn people. But in the United States, we don't have any highways that let you go any speed limit. This reduces the risk of damage to the car, so you don't really need these items. But go ahead get it if you want, its better to have your SLK half burnt rather than all of it.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motzkoman
Is there anyone else that does not like the fact that in the US models, the warning triangle is removed from the trunk? Even if it does not meet DOT specs, it would be nice to have one in that space.

Any European folks know of the part number for the "Warndreieck?"

I actually have someone in Germany looking into getting me one...

I also would like information on the fire extinguisher mounting (yes, they take that out too). I am sure that it can't be shipped easy due to pressure, but maybe getting the mount, I could find something here to fit...
None of the US model MB has the triangle. If your friend is getting it for you from Germany, just ask him to walk into any German dealership's part department and ask for the parts. It shouldnt be too hard to get. But remember, you will also need the panel and all the mounting brackets.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
Ha, I never knew they had those triangles in the SLKs. I am in the United Stantes too. I believe that the European SLKs have the trianbles and fire extinguisher becuase of those highways that don't have speed limits. So if the engine is worked to hard and goes on fire, (the brakes can go on fire too) then you can put it out. Also, if the car flips you can use the triangle to warn people. But in the United States, we don't have any highways that let you go any speed limit. This reduces the risk of damage to the car, so you don't really need these items. But go ahead get it if you want, its better to have your SLK half burnt rather than all of it.
Hahaha....I cant imagine a Mercedes engine or brakes will go on fire. If it really happens, Mercedes will not be allowed to sell in NA, period. This is just ridiculous. How can a car flip and the driver can still be able to get the triangle out from the trunk and warn people???? And I wonder how one can make a SLK flip? Please THINK TWICE before typing anything. This is total BS.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh snap. My car flipped.
--gets out his triangle--

Hehehe. Harris you are hilarious.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
if you really want that triangle, you can probably go into a Audi dealership parts counter and get one. That triangle is standard in all U.S. Audi Sedans.

I'm guessing they're all the same sizes so it'll fit in that spot.

go to www.clairparts.com it's on there under accessories I think
Old 02-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Harris
Hahaha....I cant imagine a Mercedes engine or brakes will go on fire. If it really happens, Mercedes will not be allowed to sell in NA, period. This is just ridiculous. How can a car flip and the driver can still be able to get the triangle out from the trunk and warn people???? And I wonder how one can make a SLK flip? Please THINK TWICE before typing anything. This is total BS.
Lift up the hood. Now look under the hood, no not the engine the roof of the hood. See that cloth that is screwed to the roof. This is a special cloth and those are special screws holding it to the roof. What makes them so special? I got the answer, WHEN THE EGNINE GOES ON FIRE, THE FIRE MELTS THE SCREWS, THE CLOTH FALLS OVER THE ENGINE, PUTTING THE FIRE OUT. Thats why you don't see Mercedes Engines go on fire, because they are put out by the cloth before the car can really go on fire. So if Mercedes Engines never go on fire, why would they put make these special screws and cloth to put under the hood? They can go on fire.

You want some more evidence ! As the guy who started this thread said he wanted the European SLK because they give you a fire extinguisher. Why would someone carry a fire extingusher, let me guess, to put out the fire that was created by the engine.

As I mentioned before why the U.S. cars don't have the triangle or the fire extinguisher is because we have speed limits. The goverment does not expect our SLKs to go on fire. You still can go over the speed limit, but the goverment set a limit, which won't make your car go on fire, which you don't need a fire extinguisher. In Europe, they have the autoban and other highways where people go 140 mph for however long they are. So when you go at high speeds for a long time, you have more of a risk of having a fire started by your engine. This is why the European SLKs have fire extinguishers, their government requires it.

Now for the triangle, if you ever watched Max X, or You Gotta See This, then you would know what I am talking about. Because people on the autoban go so fast, some lose control and flip. YES WHEN YOU CRASH YOU CAN FLIP, I DON'T CARE WHAT CARE YOU HAVE, YOU STILL CAN FLIP. Did you see that Mercedes commercial, it shows how long people owned their cars with different types of Mercedes Cars and they go to this family showing them with the messed up E, C, or CLK, class (can't tell because the car was so messed up) but their car flipped, and Mercedes is even showing, the point of showing it was that you have a higher chance of surving in a mercedes if the car flips. Now when you flip the on the autoban and your car is in the middle of a lane, you take that triangle and place like 100 feet away from your car (I am guessing the length, but you get the idea) so other people going 140 mph have a chance to react. (You go 88 ft per second if you are traveling at 55 to 65 mph, my math teacher told me this). Their goverment in Europe, whatever country requires them to put those triangles up because they are blocking the road and they know the cars will flip. In the United States, we don't have triangles because our goverment put speed limits on every road. (You still can go over the limit, but the government expects you to follow the speed limits) So there is no reason to flip, (well your chances of flipping are really low), which the government doesn't think you need triangles. So if you do flip the cops will put the triangles up. Also if you do flip a cop will be at the scence in less than 10 minutes (not if you are traveling to Las Vegas from LA, and other roads like it) but on the autoban in Europe , the cops and ambulance won't arrive for a while (some people do get lucky and get help quicker).

So Haris You Are A Bunch Of
You got OWNED!
Get out of here!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
You Got Owned

So Haris You Are A Bunch Of
You got OWNED!

Get out of here!
OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED
Old 02-05-2005, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You replied to your own post and said I got owned. Do you know what "owned" mean? That is REALLY funny.

Don't give me anymore of your BS. Simply answer my question: How can a car flip and the driver still be able to get the triangle out from the trunk and warn people???? Your car is turned up side down, HOW THE HELL can you open up the freaking trunk and take out the freaking triangle?????????????????????????????????????????? ????? Smart S!

Btw, Harris cannot be ".....a bunch of BS". BS is counted in pieces (or loads), not in bunches.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED OWNED
The roll over bars would leave a gap between the road and the trunk.
Not all cars flip and stay on their backs.

Question:BY THE WAY, why does mercedes put roll over bars?
Answer: Because the car can flip.

HaHa Owned.

HaHa Owned AGAIN,

None of my stuff were bs. All that info I gave was true. The cloth and the screw under the hood. The screws melt from the fire, the cloth falls on top of the engine putting the fire out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OWNED!

You left a quote and now I am leaving a quote

"Of Course I know What Owned is, cause Harris just got Owned (Again)"

Slap in the face HAHAHAHA YOU KNOW I AM RIGHT, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? GET OUT OF HERE!

Last edited by Deuce; 02-05-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Lift up the hood. Now look under the hood, no not the engine the roof of the hood. See that cloth that is screwed to the roof. This is a special cloth and those are special screws holding it to the roof. What makes them so special? I got the answer, WHEN THE EGNINE GOES ON FIRE, THE FIRE MELTS THE SCREWS, THE CLOTH FALLS OVER THE ENGINE, PUTTING THE FIRE OUT. Thats why you don't see Mercedes Engines go on fire, because they are put out by the cloth before the car can really go on fire. So if Mercedes Engines never go on fire, why would they put make these special screws and cloth to put under the hood? They can go on fire.

...... Also if you do flip a cop will be at the scence in less than 10 minutes (not if you are traveling to Las Vegas from LA, and other roads like it) but on the autoban in Europe , the cops and ambulance won't arrive for a while (some people do get lucky and get help quicker).

Get out of here!
Junior,

You and your fantasy story telling really cracks me up.

(You go 88 ft per second if you are traveling at 55 to 65 mph, my math teacher told me this)
BTW
What is so hard to figure out about converting mph to ft/sec? Have you not advanced far enough in math to figure that out yourself? Anyway, your statement is wrong; 1 number can't equal 2 or the range in between. You really need to start paying more attention to what your teacher is saying.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Well my math teacher said 55 to 65 mph, I haven't even graduated high school. I am not a scientist that does all these experiments. I just tell what I hear and read.

No offense, and I do mean no offense, Why do you have a gay rainbow color LOL sign downloaded in your computer? I am guessing you are not gay, if I am wrong, I am sorry. There is nothing wrong with being gay. Just don't look or get near me. I live in LA, one of the cities in the world to have the hottest women around, even though some go under surgery. There are still a lot of really hott women that haven't done any surgery on their body too.

Last edited by Deuce; 02-05-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
...I haven't even graduated high school.
Kindergarten?

I am not a scientist that does all these experiments.
Once you graduate kindergarten you will realize that some things can be proven and/or verified without experimentation.

I just tell what I hear and read.
So if someone told you 1 + 1 = 3 you would believe that without reservation and then immediately post your new found wisdom on a forum for all to admire.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
The purpose of the triangle isn't for just when you flip your car (if you even remember to get out and put the triangle up after the ordeal)...what if your on a road without a breakdown lane or the like? The triangle lets you warn other drivers ahead of time so they don't slam into you and your passengers.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:04 AM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Exclamation

And this is a moderated board...I don't have time for this stuff

I do want to thank GDawgC220 for his input before I ignore the rest of this thread...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Motzkoman

And this is a moderated board...I don't have time for this stuff

I do want to thank GDawgC220 for his input before I ignore the rest of this thread...
No prob
Old 02-06-2005, 12:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Three words for you all. Get a life!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:49 AM

2005 SLK350
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein

Old 02-06-2005, 04:35 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
In Europe the Cops and ambulance won't arrive for awhile?

Actually - I was on the Autobahn when a car "flipped" off the road just in front of me. By the time I got through the debri field, onto the off ramp, and swung back onto the opposite roadway there was a helicopter already landed on the roadway. I was much impressed by the Autobahn emergency response capability.

(Now, not to be flippant, but when I could first see the driver he was being strapped onto a board by the medics - darned if I didn't forget to look and see whether he had his triangle in hand.)

Below is a link the Autobahn incident as I was quoted regarding it in Autoweek:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=autobahn

Last edited by northbenz; 02-06-2005 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 PM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Harris
I was watching one of those police chase shows. It had an SL on camera in Europe that went up an embankment and flipped. It slid down the road for what seemed like ten seconds. Then the driver got out, scratched his head and ran. I guess he could have stayed and got the fire extingisher. Car wasn't on fire though.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:15 PM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
That 'special cloth' is sound deadening material. Covering a fire will not put it out if oxygen can come up from underneath. Perhaps you can explain how this fantastic device manages to wrap itself round the engine effectively enough to seal the air getting to the fire, and why, if it's that simple, race cars don't use something similar. Many race cars have an automatic fire extinguisher system in the engine bay, which is expensive but effective.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i was typing a reply on another thread 10 minutes ago on my laptop while I was driving at high speed. I hit a bump and the car flipped 3 times. Luckily I was able to hit the "Submit Reply" button, and pull out my orange triangle before the third flip. Boy, I'm glad this flipping thing is not as bad as I thought. Now, where is that fire extinguisher, because my pano roof is on fire from skidding upside down 300 feet.