SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Problems with the new slk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLS 500
Thanks again, Motzkoman. By the way, how are you enjoying the overall driving experience of your new SLK350? I recently went from an Infiniti G35 Coupe to the SLK350 and this car is simply amazing! Feels much more solid and just is a pure joy to drive.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:15 PM

2005 SLK350 - 2006 ML350
Talking

I'm loving the experience of my SLK. I picked it up in Germany on 10/1/04 and drove 1800 miles in four countries, dropping it off for shipment on 10/13/04 in Paris. It arrived here and I got it from the dealer on 12/16/04 and since then I am up to around 5300 miles. It is a pleasure to drive and I have had a good amount of top down time.

Here is a link to another quicktime movie of the Euro Delivery:

https://home.comcast.net/~motzko/Auto.mov

If you can, join us next Saturday for the drive. If that doesn't work out, we get together the third Saturday of the month normally and I post them ahead of time on this and another board.

I look forward to meeting you sometime...

Last edited by Motzkoman; 02-11-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 PM

06' CLS 500
Next Saturday I will be in Boston on business, but I look forward to going to one of these meets. Looking forward to seeing you and many more SLK350 enthusiasts as well. I will also keep an eye out on when and where these meets are at. Till' then.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Hi Masa, try to press on your right side mirror switch before put the car in reverse
Old 02-14-2005, 11:56 AM

06' CLS 500
Thanks you guys and gals for all your help. After Motzkoman pointed out the instructions per the Drivers Manual I found out what it was. The submenu in the settings menu was switched to 'off' and basically that was it. So I guess I don't have any problems with my SLK350 afterall, seems like I was the problem! Anyways, thanks again for all the help.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Click

The only problem i have is an irritating clicking sound coming from the rear passenger section near the seatbelt. Like a metal gently tapping against glass almost. Or so it sounds. The more i drive, the worse it gets. Sounds like it's right there, but nothing. I've checked as much as i can, and still nothing. It's been in the shop for 3 days now and they still have'nt solved the problem. Damn! I hate roof noises!

I wonder how these cars are actually assembled. Are they tested for noises?It does'nt seem like it. One would think that merc would have ironed out these issues by now after almost 10 years of slk production.

In any case. If anyone has experienced a similar sound, pleese let me know.

Thanx.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Almost a Member!

slk 350
Could it be the metal part of your passenger side seat belt (the buckle that you put into the seat
belt lock to fasten yourself) touching the window/the metal part of the door?

didu
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Nop

Unfortunately not. Rest assured i checked that a couple of times. Shifted it so that is could'nt knock anything. I even drove with the seatbelt pulled all the way out, holding the belt buckle in my left hand. I've had passengers also sit and look and listen. It's like there's a ghost in my car or something. I even got the guys at the workshop to drive with the passenger door slightly open, but no luck there either. So, not the seatbelt, not the door clip, and nothing felt loose at the back either. Must be deep inside. There is still the inside part of the seatbelt where the belt goes in. There may be some moving parts there which could be loose, or not moving according to spec. There is supposed to be a metal ball inside where the belt is rolled up. It's job is to adjust the belt's tension based on the car's body roll, incline, etc. Arrrg!!! I am going mad.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

slk 350
I'm sorry to hear that, maybe they should scan the car with an x-ray
machine. Would you be able to get them to give you a new car? I guess
yours is still under the warranty, isn't it?

Did you check the replacement tire is properly fastened? That could also
produce a rattle, I know that's not exactly where the noise is coming
from, but it's worth having a look at.

Good luck.

didu
Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 PM

SLK55 AMG, HYABUSA 1300R
Problem

Originally Posted by didu
Hi all,

I came across a website which lists the problems of MB in general (http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/ ). The stories and problems listed on that website really scared me,
especially because I'm picking up my SLK 350 in a couple of weeks. So, has anyone here ever had any problems
with the current model of SLK (R171)? Maybe we should ask the forum to provide some space so we can share
our problems and solutions?

Thanks a lot.

Patrick
Lights blink off sometimes, ESP not working right sign
Old 03-07-2005, 07:06 AM

SLK200 Kompressor (2005)
MrGEL: rattling passenger side

i have a similar issue but i just put it down to bad roads and fast driving

when i'm travelling along a say aboiut 60kph+ there's a rattling coming from the passenger seat. I try to push the seat back so that the head rest is jammed against the rollbar but it doesn't help. just keeps vibrating and making noise.

the other thing is shake is my side mirrors. i've put that down to the speakers near them when i play the music too loud

oh, and i read a thread elsewhere that mentioned the damn annoying "whitening" effect on the black plastic parts of the dash. the terrible thing is, that when i got the car it was like that! so much for detailing.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM

If your car has the heat scarf option, the rattle may be comming from that. There has been a report of this problem on some SLK's due to a wrong size clip used on the heat scarf unit.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM

audi a6
clicking noise

When I test drove an SLK350 this past weekend, I had the same problem. The salesman said it was the seatbelt rubbing against the back. It did not have the airscarf option. The seatbelt looked fine when I got out of the car. The noise was annoying, inconsistent and happend even with top closed.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:12 PM

2005 SLK350
i had the same problem on mine... didnt find it too annoying - not enough to stpo driving the car for the short time i could during winter break . a toyota i drove had the same problem

will check with my dealer once i get back home for spring break

anyone fix this issue yet?

note: i dont have air scarf option
Old 03-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Motzkoman
You know MASA, I have noticed the same thing with my mirrors. My guess is that their supplier of the right mirrors (the "caution objects are closer than they appear" one) may be different, but that is only a guess. Regardless, it seems normal...
The drivers side mirror is self dimming and the passenger one is not. It's the same on all models.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Exhaust problem??

I continue to have the smell of exhaust (or some kind of a strong oily smell) with the top down. It is worse on windy days and particularly with a cross wind from the driver's side. The dealer says it is "burn off" of the shipping preservative that is still on the exhaust pipes. I now have 1,200 miles and still the same problem. The car is fine with the top up. Also the smell is not noticeable when the wind in coming from behind the car. I bought the lexan windscreen to cut down on turbulence, but that hasn't helped the smell go away. There is no smell of any kind except when the car is moving with the top down. If it was burn off it would seem that it would smell while parked in the garage. I suspect an exhaust leak somewhere.

But the dealer says the one car they have in stock also has the same new car "burn off" odor. Anyone notice anything similar???
Old 03-07-2005, 05:45 PM

I also have a slight oily burn off smell on occasion. I have 738 miles on my car. The smell isn't strong nor offensive and I assume that it's a typical new car thing.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

slk 350
Originally Posted by cmentz
I continue to have the smell of exhaust (or some kind of a strong oily smell) with the top down. It is worse on windy days and particularly with a cross wind from the driver's side. The dealer says it is "burn off" of the shipping preservative that is still on the exhaust pipes. I now have 1,200 miles and still the same problem. The car is fine with the top up. Also the smell is not noticeable when the wind in coming from behind the car. I bought the lexan windscreen to cut down on turbulence, but that hasn't helped the smell go away. There is no smell of any kind except when the car is moving with the top down. If it was burn off it would seem that it would smell while parked in the garage. I suspect an exhaust leak somewhere.

But the dealer says the one car they have in stock also has the same new car "burn off" odor. Anyone notice anything similar???
I'm sorry, but I think your dealer is lying. My 350 has never had any
unpleasant smell from the first day (when it only had done 15k). I test
drove a 200 ages ago and it didn't have any weird smell either. I'd really
have that exhaust smell checked out if I were you, it could be something
serious, you wouldn't want to be driving on the freeway at 120k/h and
have the engine suddenly on fire, would you?

didu
Old 03-08-2005, 12:59 AM

2005 SLK350
I'm thinking the exhaust problem might have something to do with climate and engine burn-in. I didn't have the problem with mine, but I got it in September in North Carolina (read 60-70 F every day for a couple of months). It looks like most folks with this problem live in colder climates. Your dealer may be right, and the rest of us may not be experiencing the problem because of the weather.

If it's a problem only at initial start up, or when the engine is cold, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I'd still keep an eye on it...

just something to think about...
Old 03-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
wanna test your exhaust for leaks? put a towel over both pipes, you WILL hear and see leaks.
Exhausts will smell and 1200 isnt enough unless you were flogging the car which you werent because you were following proper breakin procedures.....right?