SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Exhaust Fumes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Fumes

I just took delivery of an SLK 350. In our area it is windy during the day and humid at night. I notice a strong smell of exhaust fumes when driving with the top down mostly at speeds around 40 to 50 MPH. The fumes are stronger at times depending on the wind direction (seems a crossing wind causes more turbulence). But it is also noticeable at night when the air is still but heavy with humidity. I am driving without any other cars in sight, so it is not from an external source.

Anyone else had this happen? I put on the fabric windblocker but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. I also left the a/c on, but I didn't turn up the fan speed.

Any ideas??? I am thinking of getting the plexiglas windblocker to see if that helps. The dealer says they have never had anyone claim to smell fumes.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
No smells here.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S2000 , 2005 911 & soon 2005 slk55 AMG
Originally Posted by cmentz
I just took delivery of an SLK 350. In our area it is windy during the day and humid at night. I notice a strong smell of exhaust fumes when driving with the top down mostly at speeds around 40 to 50 MPH. The fumes are stronger at times depending on the wind direction (seems a crossing wind causes more turbulence). But it is also noticeable at night when the air is still but heavy with humidity. I am driving without any other cars in sight, so it is not from an external source.

Anyone else had this happen? I put on the fabric windblocker but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. I also left the a/c on, but I didn't turn up the fan speed.

Any ideas??? I am thinking of getting the plexiglas windblocker to see if that helps. The dealer says they have never had anyone claim to smell fumes.
I sure your not just passing gas? Ha Ha
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM

slk 350
I've driven plenty with the top down and never smelled any fumes. Of course, the warmest it's been over here since I got my car is about 65 F.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Exhaust fumes

As it turns out it probably isn't exhaust fumes I am smelling. There is apparently some kind of oil based preservative on the engine and exhaust system (perhaps shipping protection from salt water) that is burning off. It is getting much less today and is obviously a burn off of some kind that is noticeable when standing next to the car when it is running.

Hopefully it will go away once I put a few more miles on.

Overall, it is a fantastic car. I was sure hoping that it wasn't going to have some kind of a wierd problem.