SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Black Plastic Interior Issues-Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Plastic Interior Issues-Problem

Hey All,

I love my new slk and for the most part everything is done well. However, there is a constant problem of white spots appearing on the black plastic panels in the interior. I have heard some simular comments and am wondering if the plastic is falty. A car of the quality of this should not show spots and require cleaning on a daily basis.

Additionally the leather seats seem to be stretching a bit fast in this car. I know someone who owns one of the old slk's and after 4 years the leather has less stretching than my car and the interior never shows white spots.

As customers what do you all feel we can ask our dealers to do about this?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I have the SLK 55 AMG. I do see these white marks around my car. It is just dust or powder? You don't notice all of them, but they are there and you will find them in the future. Just take your hand and wipe over it quickly and it would go away. The leather in my SLK 230 is black and I haven't noticed any strech marks, I have strech marks on my SLK 55 AMG, not noticable but, I see it cause you know it is my car. Plus I have the two tone interior, black and white.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:14 PM

slk 350
I only have 600 miles on my car and to say I baby it is an understatement. While I like the overall feel and texture of the dash material, I agree that white smudges seem to show up here and there very easily and you know what, they're a bit of a pain in the *** to clean off. I have to agree that a dash shouldn't smudge so easily. Maybe MB should all give us a lifetime supply of "MB Authorized Miracle White Smudge Remover from Rubbery Dashes"! But, seriously, it is a bit annoying.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 PM

The white marks I notice are often powerdy. The spots are easily cleaned but the problem is that they reappear so quickly. Constant cleaning cant be good for the long run with respect to the materials. I think MB needs to address this as well as the leather. I have allready spoken with the dealership but I think I need to bring this to their attention again.

The leather should not stretch that quickly. If it is starting to show after such a short time it makes me wonder how it will be after a long duration.

Thanks for sharing your alls experiences. I hope you all enjoy your new slk!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
You guys!

The white marks which show up are typical of a very high quality matt plastic interior finish! You should not be complaining about this, just keep the car clean... it is far better than having shiny, cheap and nasty looking plastics in your cabin!

My SLK55 AMG came with an MB micro-fibre cleaning cloth, which is most useful and does it's job exceptionally well.

Rgds

Marky-Mark
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 PM

A high quality plastic should not dirty this easy. Otherwise whats the point of having it high quality if it constantly looks bad?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
maybe that's why you need to keep it clean? i have plenty of white spots on my Avantgarde W211 too, especially around the beautiful black wood. but well, i guess its a price to pay. reason your plastic smudges so easily is cuz its rough-textured, therefore there're more pores to trap dust particles. but that's also why it feels nice and squishy.. so....
most high-quality stuff need lots of cleaning and care, don't they?
Old 02-26-2005, 01:06 PM

Did I say I did not keep my car clean? I regurally clean it and yet it constantly dirties. If you know anything about car care, constant cleaning of interior materials is bad for the long run contidion of the materials. You should only have to do a good interior clean several of times a month, not every single day. MB quality should not result in problems like this.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
hey at least the black coating doesn't come off like the older gen SLK's!