SLK-Class (R172) 2011-Present SLK200, SLK250, SLK350, and SLK 55

SLK/R172: Starting issues in 2012 slk 350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLK 350
Unhappy Starting issues in 2012 slk 350?

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. i have a 2012 slk 350. ive had the car for about 2 months now and i love it.

i have 1,995 miles on the car, and yesterday i experienced some startup issues. i had recently gotten home from work, and then about 1 hour later tried to leave my house with the slk. when i got into my garage and pressed the 'start' button on my car, the electrical system engaged, but not the engine (yes, i had my foot on the brake).

i turned off the electrical system, and then started the car again. this time the engine tried turning over, but did not 'catch', and the car died again.

the third time i went to start the car, the engine came on and made a very strange 'gurgling' sound...like it wasnt getting enough throttle/gas. so i gave the car a bit of 'gas' by slowly pushing down on the accelerator pedal, and the engine caught, but then quickly died. all this time the instrument cluster was 'fluttering'. (the RPM needle was bouncing between 0 & 1k rpms very quickly (5-6 times per second). no warnings on the instrument cluster either.

i gave up, pushed the mbrace button and a tow-truck came to bring the car to the local dealer service center.

about 70 mins later the tow truck showed up...guess what, the car started NO PROBLEM. engine started, backed the car out, and got it on the tow-truck. then stayed on during the entire tow-hook-up, etc.

it got to the MB of SouthBay (in Torrance, CA) this morning, and Brad, the service guy, was able to get it to start and stay on every time. the computer-hook-up isnt showing anything strange as well. so he's going to keep it this weekend and try again on monday, to see if he can replicate the problem.

has anyone else experienced this? any thoughts on what could be causing it?

thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Haven't had the problem yet, but my dash sounds like a plastic water bottle! Good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Haven't had the problem yet, but my dash sounds like a plastic water bottle! Good luck.
Same here dash sounds like a water bottle... I would have them check your exhaust manifold and down pipe. My car does the same exact thing when those parts go bad....My car has had them replaced 3 times now.. I also have a strange Transmission problem. Sometimes it won't go in reverse.. Put it in drive the car jumps and dies. I've also had it get stuck in gear.. like in 5th won't down shift looses power. On restart it's fine.