SLK-Class (R172) 2011-Present SLK200, SLK250, SLK350, and SLK 55

SLK/R172: Six speed manual vs. seven speed auto: Having had both.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 sedan
Six speed manual vs. seven speed auto: Having had both.

These are two different vehicles. The automatic, in Comfort mode, lugs, seems to be on an "efficiency search." Feels as though efficiency, high EPA numbers, are its reason for being. Paradoxedly, the Sport mode is flawed by removing the driver from the equation......There is little choice, other than the less than satisfying paddle shifters. The SLK 250 automatic felt artificially enhanced, not within my control. I wanted more. I ordered another SLK 250, configured exactingly, with the manual, making clear to my dealership that my purchase was subject to my driving. As follows:

It is as though the auto and the manual have little in common. If the driver gets enough "yield" from shifting, does not place shifting under the umbrella of "labor," the manual transforms the SLK into shear pleasure. Gear changing is short throw, immediate. If the driver takes pleasure in the "feel" of a Benz directional signal stalk, the "bounce" of heavy pin ball machine plungers/ball shooters, take note: this is a manual unlike others. Each shift satisfies. It's perfect. Feels as though the driver is no longer a guest here, artificially managed by constant computer recalculation. The manual, clearly, in the USA, is an under recognized, under appreciated choice. Worth experiencing if you love these cars.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Nice small review,

It's unfortunte that at-least in Canada, manual is only offered in the SLK250 out of all the vehicles.

Even the new 2013 B-Class coming to Canada will only be offered in automatic; opposed to the earlier models which were offered in manual transmission.

I would really like to see a C63 in a manual, but I suppose you can't go wrong with either
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM

2013 SLK 250 M
Manual wins hands down

We picked up our manual SLK 250 from the factory in Stuttgart and got the opportunity to drive it on the Autobahn and also take it to the Nurburgring. We drove an automatic when we were testing cars at the dealers and knew we wanted a manual. Like you said they are worlds apart. Its a car which puts a smile on your face everytime you change gears!

Cheers!
Dev
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM

2002 CLK 320 coupe, Black
Spot On! Thanks, this is just what I wanted to read to validate my choice in choosing to order the SLK250 with a manual and not automatic transmission!